Maurer emerging as QB1?

Getting the egual reps is pretty much what is going on now. As it has been talked about and seen the other day on a video he could be running 2 reps at one time from the same position.

Yep. Open practice should be interesting though, particularly if there are live team sessions. Not saying I'm going to count the reps, but I'll try to get a feel for who takes more reps with Wright, Cade, and Cooper.

We may have to wait for the spring game.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Both Bailey and JT looked a lot like JG at times the last game of the season. It could of been the coaching or maybe Bailey isn’t the Qb we hoped for.

I could end up being wrong, but I just don't see Bailey being the guy. Last season his pocket presence was shaky at times (not totally unexpected from a true freshman to be fair), he's not a particularly good athlete, and he probably has the weakest arm of the four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. I'm sure poor coaching probably didn't do him any favors, so perhaps he will take some big leaps under Heupel. We'll see.

I could end up being wrong, but I just don't see Bailey being the guy. Last season his pocket presence was shaky at times (not totally unexpected from a true freshman to be fair), he's not a particularly good athlete, and he probably has the weakest arm of the four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. I'm sure poor coaching probably didn't do him any favors, so perhaps he will take some big leaps under Heupel. We'll see.

im holding out hope for Salty Salter. He might have just the right amount of thug in him.

Maurer is the best I see, from game experience and athletic ability. Factor in his ability to catch a couple concussions and random injuries? Who is next? They are all unknowns. Salter really rocked up the pudding when he got suspended. Bailey could be something, but can he adapt? Can Hooker make the throws, so the running game works and he doesn't have to run? Is it worth it when Hooker runs? Idk. Right now, Maurer should be #1, from my view, as an outsider.

No. Heupel has to choose the right guy and get performance. If Bailey can't win the job then that's on Bailey, not Heupel.

We fans are starved for information and are probably making more out of positives and negatives at this point of the competition. We aren't getting nearly enough to draw conclusions. However right now it sounds like Hooker and Maurer have stepped out ahead of Bailey.

I think heupel wants a mobile qb, i say it will be maurer or hooker

Love the ever evolving Volnation.....so many last year downing on Maurer..but now...

HB was more Pruitts golden boy, last hope type....i feel he would be better suited in an old school west coast style offense...short completions..he was more like JG then I thought he would be

Reactions: 1vol8
Love the ever evolving Volnation.....so many last year downing on Maurer..but now...

HB was more Pruitts golden boy, last hope type....i feel he would be better suited in an old school west coast style offense...short completions..he was more like JG then I thought he would be
If he leaves it will be to Ole Miss - Kiffin will make him a top QB

Happens to the best........
View attachment 361437
I see your point but Elway had a good 25 lbs on Maurer and was a world class baseball player who knew how and when to slide . Obviously didn’t slide right there but when he was getting ready to plow into those defenders they knew that the QB wouldn’t be the only one feeling the collision lol . The hits Maurer took against UGA and the other I believe being Bama looked not only career threatening but life threatening too .
Great play, but I don’t want Maurer treating every play like he’s never won a Super Bowl before in the twilight of his career.

That said, This is probably my favorite all time football play. Everything about it is great.
Elway played that way his whole career right up until the end which is why he is my all time favorite QB but he played with intelligent recklessness whereas what I’ve seen from BM has been just sheer recklessness . In 16 seasons Elway only missed 15 games .

Maurer is the best I see, from game experience and athletic ability. Factor in his ability to catch a couple concussions and random injuries? Who is next? They are all unknowns. Salter really rocked up the pudding when he got suspended. Bailey could be something, but can he adapt? Can Hooker make the throws, so the running game works and he doesn't have to run? Is it worth it when Hooker runs? Idk. Right now, Maurer should be #1, from my view, as an outsider.

I would probably go with Hooker first and Maurer as a close second, but that's based more on experience than anything.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I hope Salter realizes the opportunity he wasted just being in the wrong place (granted he did nothing). I hope when he comes back he has that Alvin Kamara type desire. He'll have the opportunity, but one poor decision (that we know about) set him back.

I see your point but Elway had a good 25 lbs on Maurer and was a world class baseball player who knew how and when to slide . Obviously didn’t slide right there but when he was getting ready to plow into those defenders they knew that the QB wouldn’t be the only one feeling the collision lol . The hits Maurer took against UGA and the other I believe being Bama looked not only career threatening but life threatening too .
Elway played that way his whole career right up until the end which is why he is my all time favorite QB but he played with intelligent recklessness whereas what I’ve seen from BM has been just sheer recklessness . In 16 seasons Elway only missed 15 games .
My main point is "gamers" try to make plays.. Maurer has a lot of moxy and (if he ends up being the guy) needs to be smarter about when he make those attempts.

He's healthy now and evidently looking good, so we'll just have to wait and see. I hope he does well because he does seem to provide a spark when he's in the game.

My main point is "gamers" try to make plays.. Maurer has a lot of moxy and (if he ends up being the guy) needs to be smarter about when he make those attempts.

He's healthy now and evidently looking good, so we'll just have to wait and see. I hope he does well because he does seem to provide a spark when he's in the game.
i gotcha . I hope he does well too , I think he could be a decent QB in the new system , maybe even good . I just hope that he has bulked up some and learned when to hold em and when to fold em (with apologies to the late great Kenny Rogers) When he sees an opportunity to take off on foot

Reactions: m1al
I don’t want to put words in his mouth but the connection to JG that worries me has been Maurer’s decision making. I really like his moxie snd his athleticism but countless times he threw into double coverage. Had difficulty making the right decisions in his progressions but hopefully good coaching can alleviate that.

Reactions: cdr4ut and 1vol8
I don’t want to put words in his mouth but the connection to JG that worries me has been Maurer’s decision making. I really like his moxie snd his athleticism but countless times he threw into double coverage. Had difficulty making the right decisions in his progressions but hopefully good coaching can alleviate that.
I understand that. But there’s a common denominator in the examples you may not be thinking of. I’ve brought it up Several times. I don’t remember him throwing into dbl coverage vs UT Chatt, UGA, Alabama or UK. He did once vs MSST and he payed for it. So if he had “tendencies” to throw into dbl coverage there has to be a connection to only the games he wasn’t prepared as the starter because the games he DID do that was the second half of UF and Indiana. Now don’t get it twisted, I’m not saying that he won’t periodically but it’s not a prepared habit.

There have been plenty of fantastic high school QBs who could not start in college. Same for college QBs in the pros. Bailey’s job is to earn the starting position. I hope he can earn it. If he can’t then good luck at your next stop. Maybe he can call cornbread and find him a roster spot somewhere.

If you think Bailey’s lack of success will have an impact on the reputation of Josh Heupel then your opinion is greatly inflated.

If you don't think Kirby Smart's reputation with QBs on the recruiting trail especially black high school QBs has taken a hit by pushing Fromm over Fields then I can't help you. He was foolish then and looks foolish about it to this very day like a bad tattoo. If Heupel and crew can't get the performance necessary out of HB someone else will and Heupel will appear as foolish on the recruiting trail with highly talented QBs as Smart is these days.

Was Bray the last time we had QB that would just sling the ball, no Fs given???? It feels like we have had QBs playing safe for so long..

Huepel recruited Maurer to UCF before he chose TN.

I didn't realize Heupel had recruited Maurer. That offers insight - he must have seen the potential in him to learn that up-tempo no huddle offense. He'll have to be accurate and decisive, as he'll be flinging it all over the field! This will be a Tennessee offense unlike we've seen!

Reactions: onevol74
If you don't think Kirby Smart's reputation with QBs on the recruiting trail especially black high school QBs has taken a hit by pushing Fromm over Fields then I can't help you. He was foolish then and looks foolish about it to this very day like a bad tattoo. If Heupel and crew can't get the performance necessary out of HB someone else will and Heupel will appear as foolish on the recruiting trail with highly talented QBs as Smart is these days.
From the tone of your post it sounds like you are saying start Harrison Bailey or else. I apologize if I am misunderstanding, but that is exactly what we have been living through for the last 3 years with JG. IT IS BAILEY’S RESPONSIBILITY to earn the job and we will all support him if he accomplishes that goal.

Who cares what goes on with Kirby Smart. It has absolutely nothing to do with our situation. Fields chose the wrong school in the beginning. And I can now easily understand why he did not want to play for Pruitt.

IF I were Josh Heupel and a player, family, or fan group came in and threatened me with who I should start at a position then my first question would be where do you want me to send the transfer papers to?

Heupel has had the top 5 offenses in the entire NCAA for the last 4 years and won a national championship as QB. The man, unlike many on this board, knows what he is doing and the risk associated with it. His reputation is not going to be tainted by an unproven college prospect.

I am going to support whoever the starting QB is in that Tennessee Orange jersey this year regardless of who it is. I would like to see HB get it but that is on him. But if this is going to be a situation where I will take my ball and go home please go ahead and inform coach where to send the transfer papers. We are not in a position to make any player bigger than our program.

I didn't realize Heupel had recruited Maurer. That offers insight - he must have seen the potential in him to learn that up-tempo no huddle offense. He'll have to be accurate and decisive, as he'll be flinging it all over the field! This will be a Tennessee offense unlike we've seen!
ive worked for managers like skoal can. expecting everyone around him to think same way he does. May work in Sankey's system at Bama, but not hurr.

VN Store

Back