Maurer emerging as QB1?

45.7%, 5 INTs to 2 TDs, 3.5 yds per rush. Yall are delusional if you think this guy is QB1.

This.. Don't get me wrong I hope Mauer does well, but he's done nothing to show he's anything more than a below average QB so far

Reactions: 508mikey
Hope I'm wrong but Maurer feels like JG all over again.
In what respect?

If he did play that way... I have no doubt that this particular HC would bench him.

But from my point of view, Maurer's problems seem to be near opposite JG's. JG hesitated... Maurer acts too quickly. JG either couldn't hit tight windows or doubted his ability to do so... Maurer is too confident in his ability to force throws in. Offensive tempo never seemed to be slow enough for JG... Maurer as a Fr made hand gestures trying to get the coaches to speed up getting the play in.

JG was so "safe" that he made mistakes and was ineffective. Maurer if anything has been too rash and reckless.

Two HC's and 4 or 5 coordinators could not speed JG up. We will see if Heupel and crew can slow Maurer down and get him to make good decisions.

If its not Bailey UT won't win more than 3. Games
How is that a "fact"? What PROOF do you have?

Bailey wasn't that impressive last year. I know Covid messed the year up... but UT has had Fr come in cold in August and play well.

I liked that HB seemed to go through his progressions quickly. I don't think he can "win" checking down as often as he did last year. Several of the completions that pumped his % were when opponents were giving up short throws late in the game.

However, he did not display a 5* arm. Arm strength was not special. His accuracy beyond 15 yards was about the same as Maurer's as a Fr.

Right now... he appears to be 3rd from what little info is being leaked out. The competition isn't over and he could still emerge... but if he's not the best guy... that doesn't doom the team. It just means he wasn't the best guy.

Should have a solid back up to go in after the first drive. Kid is hell of an athlete but he gets injured way to often
Could be. But his injuries as a Fr were related. Maurer was cleared to go back into the UGA game and Pruitt decided to keep JG in the game. Maurer's freak injury vs MSU was re-injured vs Bama.

That is a question mark but not as much as many think.

Maurer has been a mistake prone injury waiting to happen every time he’s been on the field. I don’t think he’s the guy just because he’s had some nice throws in April

Sounds exactly like his time here..

From the article : “He comes from an SEC school, so he has a lot to teach us … he teaches us a lot.” Ollie said.

Right..
He is going to teach Washington state how to be even worse than they could have ever imagined. Also, his signature high pass extraordinaire will make his QB coach giddy. I hope their fans enjoy incompletions too.

Maurer has been a mistake prone injury waiting to happen every time he’s been on the field. I don’t think he’s the guy just because he’s had some nice throws in April
He's not the guy just because of what he does in April... but none of what you wrote means he will not emerge and become a very good QB.

If it's not Bailey and we was to sink that bad it would be bad for Heupel right off the bat because he is seen as a QB guru and if Maurer were to start and struggle it would just look bad because of Bailey ranking. If Maurer wins it he has to show out because if he doesn't Heupel is behind the 8 ball after his first season. Bailey was a high 4*/5* and people would be like what guru.
No. Heupel has to choose the right guy and get performance. If Bailey can't win the job then that's on Bailey, not Heupel.

We fans are starved for information and are probably making more out of positives and negatives at this point of the competition. We aren't getting nearly enough to draw conclusions. However right now it sounds like Hooker and Maurer have stepped out ahead of Bailey.

Hope I'm wrong but Maurer feels like JG all over again.

Even if he is a million dollar practice player but only worth a nickel in games, I don't think our new HC will be so stubborn as to stick with him.
HC JH will pull him if he's throwing TD's the wrong way (all just my opinion of course).
In other words, Maurer may be JG, but I don't think Heupel is Pruitt.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even when he put up 400 on Auburn, there was nothing exciting about his performance. The WRs, sure.
Guy had a air about him that made him hard to like. He thought he was Cam Newton. Bawahaha

This! I got sick of people saying this you ng man didn't have talent when it was obvious he did. I'm pulling for him
I never doubted his talent and he appears to have some 'fire" in him. He's young though and older folk tend to forget younger folk act rashly sometimes (especially kids with 'moxy'). The trick is, do they mature and settle down as some time passes?

Seems like maybe he has..

Pruitt's doghouse holds little to no weight with me now... I'm pulling for Maurer if for no other reason to know that quite a few arm chair Heisman winners on here are going to look quite foolish....
I'm finding it hard not to pull for BM for the same reason and because he's the underdog. But I really want to stay positive about the potential of all 3.

I thought Maurer's mistakes were generally in trying to make something happen. Throwing to too tight of a window or (especially) trying to squeeze an extra yard out of a scramble when he should have laid down or thrown the ball away. Hustle mistakes are different in my mind than panic mistakes. I think hustle mistakes are easier to coach a player out of, to teach them to stay within their physical limits and the limits of the coach's decisions.

If Heupel cannot develop a consensus 5 star highly coveted QB to be a starter in KnoxVegas, we'll see that player blossom at another P5 school very shortly and whatever takes snaps for the ensuing Vols will be JG 2.0 and hasten Heupels departure down I-40 is my prediction.

VN Store

Back