Maurer emerging as QB1?

Don't understand the injury-prone statements. He had one lingering injury where the inept offensive line couldn't block the nursing home's team and Maurer's head was bent backwards and nearly stuck in his own rear.

Maurer is VERY reckless with his body and has shown himself to be somewhat unaware of the dangers. I saw two plays where he has willingly thrown himself into a position to get seriously hurt. One was the famous shot when he landed on his head/neck. The other was when he opened himself up on an attempt at stretching for a first down, running. He launched himself into the air and the ball was held outstretched and aloft. Before he was ever hit I was cringing on how bad he would be hurt. I don't remember how bad he was hurt on that play, but it doesn't matter whether it was that play or not.

I give him kudos for courage, but if he does not learn from some of those hits very quickly he will not survive more than a few games in the SEC.

It's because he's rail thin as a QB. Any shot he takes is more likely to hurt him, and he was concussed twice in 2019.

Lol...so how does carrying more weight on one's body, offer greater protection from getting concussed due to a cheap shot to the head?

tenor.gif

Reactions: Vol423
If Heupel cannot develop a consensus 5 star highly coveted QB to be a starter in KnoxVegas, we'll see that player blossom at another P5 school very shortly and whatever takes snaps for the ensuing Vols will be JG 2.0 and hasten Heupels departure down I-40 is my prediction.
Every talent evaluation outlet had their own opinions on Bailey as well as individuals. I remember the unrest over varying opinions. Rivals had him as a 5*. 247 had him a 4* as well as ESPN. I personally didn’t see it and had him a high 3*. Needless to say my evaluation of him didn’t blow over well here on VN when I was telling people that he wasn’t what people think. Evidently when he competed in the elite 11, surrounded by QB evaluators, their evaluation was closer to my own and the end result was him placing 11th out of 12. You gotta remember that these services paint with a very wide brush. Their focus ISNT just qbs and that’s why they miss so often. Yet people trust them like gospel. Never understood it. So to say that CJH would be the failure is to say that you trust that wide brush over professionals with a focus.

I didn't say, or imply that weight prevents concussions.

So why make the predicating statement "It's because he's rail thin as a QB", before bringing up his concussion, if you aren't implying that being "thin" contributed to his concussion?

Other than getting concussed, from a shot that would have concussed literally any other player, what other injuries did Maurer incur that you believe are due to him being "thin"?

So why make the predicating statement "It's because he's rail thin as a QB", before bringing up his concussion, if you aren't implying that being "thin" contributed to his concussion?

Other than getting concussed, from a shot that would have concussed literally any other player, what other injuries did Maurer incur that you believe are due to him being "thin"?
Maybe if you could read you'd see that the post I'd quoted stated he had ONE "lingering injury" that kept on creeping up on him that was the reason he didn't continue to get playing time, when in fact it was two concussions in the space of three weeks that sidelined him(and should have sidelined him for good that season if Pruitt wasn't a dumbass).

Lol...so how does carrying more weight on one's body, offer greater protection from getting concussed due to a cheap shot to the head?

tenor.gif

Well I would submit that the heavier and sturdier a player is the less force they will be tackled to the ground with. Players head hitting the ground is a source for a lot of concussions.

Maybe if you could read you'd see that the post I'd quoted stated he had ONE "lingering injury" that kept on creeping up on him that was the reason he didn't continue to get playing time, when in fact it was two concussions in the space of three weeks that sidelined him(and should have sidelined him for good that season if Pruitt wasn't a dumbass).

And that validates "It's because he's rail thin as a QB. Any shot he takes is more likely to hurt him" how exactly?

Is he any thinner than Zach Wilson?
zachwilson.png

Joe Burrow?
burrow.png

For reference, here's Maurer again.
maurer.png

Reactions: bpalmer28
Well I would submit that the heavier and sturdier a player is the less force they will be tackled to the ground with. Players head hitting the ground is a source for a lot of concussions.

Then please explain the physics of how carrying more mass on the body, somehow lessens the impact of a head in a helmet, hitting the ground.

And that validates "It's because he's rail thin as a QB. Any shot he takes is more likely to hurt him" how exactly?

Is he any thinner than Zach Wilson?
zachwilson.png

Joe Burrow?
burrow.png

For reference, here's Maurer again.
maurer.png
Zach Wilson was 195 lbs as a freshman, in a G5 team. Joe Burrow is 220 lbs and played at that weight at LSU. Maurer as a freshman was 175-185 at most. He's gained weight and is now ready to play but he was not physically ready as a freshman.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember a season when UT has had 3-4 QB's that have a real chance to be "the guy," since 1994.
There have been a lot of years when there was a question about 2 QBs , but not 4.

We know that 3 of the 4 have the talent to play big time football and be successful. That's a pretty good problem to have. Whoever wins the job, will have really proven himself by beating out 3 talented guys.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Zach Wilson was 195 lbs as a freshman, in a G5 team. Joe Burrow is 220 lbs and played at that weight at LSU. Maurer as a freshman was 175-185 at most. He's gained weight and is now ready to play but he was not physically ready as a freshman.

You are aware that their weight isn't 100% muscle mass right? Water weight, bone density, visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, all contribute to the total weight of a player.

You act like Maurer is some malnourished street urchin with scurvy and brittle bone disease trying to play football. Maurer's frame is no 'thinner' than Burrow's or Wilson's, and I've seen no data that suggests thinner QBs are more prone to injury than heavier ones.

I wonder what VN's reaction will be when Harrison Bailey ends up being the 3rd choice behind BM and HH?

It seems he's by far the fan favorite and a very talented prospect. With that said, his skill set and talents are the least similiar to past Heupel QB's IMO.

I DGAS who the QB and his backups are as long as we are winning football games.

I have a feeling that Washington St is talking about JG the same way many here are talking about Hooker. They just assume that all he needs is a change of scenery and he'll be Russell Wilson.
sometimes thats true.
but Russell was good a NCST before Wisconson.
In a way, Maurer has gotten a change of scenery with this new coaching staff.

Some of our fans are like Pruitt to be honest. They don't respect or know the QB position well enough.
Hell, Hooker is way better than JG. Yet, he's not better than Maurer. But for some reason SOME people truly believed JG was better than Maurer..

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
For those who don't follow this guy on Twitter, I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you who he is but I have no idea. All I can tell you is he posts a lot of very insightful things about Tennessee and I don't mean rumor mill type stuff... I mean X's and O's mean and potatoes type stuff. Whoever this guy is he knows football and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's got some connections on the hill.

Of the three, Maurer does appear to fit this type of offense the best. He is a "gunslinger," in my opinion, and reminds me of Tyler Bray with better mobility. He just needs to avoid taking the big hit. He may be fun to watch, but may also throw more interceptions than Hooker or Bailey.

Really, I'm just happy it isn't JG.

sometimes thats true.

Some of our fans are like Pruitt to be honest. They don't respect or know the QB position well enough.
Hell, Hooker is way better than JG. Yet, he's not better than Maurer. But for some reason SOME people truly believed JG was better than Maurer..
I'm tired of all the fan analysis. I'm just pulling for somebody to step up and go win some games.

sometimes thats true.

At the moment, any QB who's entire UT career so far was under Pruitt, can't really be judged on any objective level. We know that Pruitt was a terrible micromanager, who had no concept of how to be a HC, and that even qualified assistant coaches who had success at other schools, struggled to develop talent under him once they came to UT.

At the moment, any QB who's entire UT career so far was under Pruitt, can't really be judged on any objective level. We know that Pruitt was a terrible micromanager, who had no concept of how to be a HC, and that even qualified assistant coaches who had success at other schools, struggled to develop talent under him once they came to UT.
I agree. Different coach. Different technique. Different offense. You have to basically forget any bias you may have had up to this point.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree. Different coach. Different technique. Different offense. You have to basically forget any bias you may have had up to this point.

I just hope that they QBs don't have to "unlearn" much from Pruitt's tenure; that can be much harder than learning a new coach's system.

Reactions: Vol423

VN Store

Back