Maurer emerging as QB1?

Of the three, Maurer does appear to fit this type of offense the best. He is a "gunslinger," in my opinion, and reminds me of Tyler Bray with better mobility. He just needs to avoid taking the big hit. He may be fun to watch, but may also throw more interceptions than Hooker or Bailey.

Really, I'm just happy it isn't JG.
I just want to see him go through progressions better. That's where Bailey has the edge, IMO, and it's one reason why Bray was able to light up the scoreboard back in the day. If Maurer learns to throw the ball to the best option the sky is the limit.

they did prior to covid19 give five years to play four. Now it's six to play four. Seems he still has four. If he does well, maybe he hope he goes to NFL early!

Maurer is VERY reckless with his body and has shown himself to be somewhat unaware of the dangers. I saw two plays where he has willingly thrown himself into a position to get seriously hurt. One was the famous shot when he landed on his head/neck. The other was when he opened himself up on an attempt at stretching for a first down, running. He launched himself into the air and the ball was held outstretched and aloft. Before he was ever hit I was cringing on how bad he would be hurt. I don't remember how bad he was hurt on that play, but it doesn't matter whether it was that play or not.

I give him kudos for courage, but if he does not learn from some of those hits very quickly he will not survive more than a few games in the SEC.
Happens to the best........
giphy-15.gif

Reactions: KptVFL and A.J.
I have gotten excited watching BM play. JG was never exciting to watch

I’ve gotten excited, too! Wondering when he’s going to toss pass directly to an opponent, lose the ball on a fumble, or get flipped upside down and injured. I just don’t think he’s the answer. However, if he turns out to be The Guy, I’ll support him 100%!

I’ve gotten excited, too! Wondering when he’s going to toss pass directly to an opponent, lose the ball on a fumble, or get flipped upside down and injured. I just don’t think he’s the answer. However, if he turns out to be The Guy, I’ll support him 100%!
Chris Weinke doesn’t work here anymore.

No. Heupel has to choose the right guy and get performance. If Bailey can't win the job then that's on Bailey, not Heupel.

We fans are starved for information and are probably making more out of positives and negatives at this point of the competition. We aren't getting nearly enough to draw conclusions. However right now it sounds like Hooker and Maurer have stepped out ahead of Bailey.
I don't think anyone has pulled ahead because of what Heupel quoted the other day. He basically said it's not about finding a front runner right but allowing the 3 of them to learn the system. I don't think there will be a clear cut winner until the first game that a long time from now. So whoever is in the lead right now doesn't mean a thing really.

I know it doesn't really matter who the front runner is at this point because it's early, but of course there is a guy that CJH believes has performed better up to this point.

My guess is that person will be taking the earliest most reps on Saturday with the other guys we know are sure to be 1st teamers (Cade, Cooper, and Wright). That doesn't necessarily mean that player starts the scrimmage, but I believe they'll get the most early reps with them.

JMO----(After saying that, watch them each get the equal number of repso_O)

I honestly think JG was the fourth best QB on the team last year. Maybe the best practice QB, but the 4th best game day QB. Have no idea what Pruitt/Weinke saw in him.
Pruitt's philosophy of play placed a premium on avoiding mistakes on O more than producing plays. I believe when he kept saying that JG was the best option it was because the others made more mistakes in practice and not because he made more good plays.

Fulmer was probably too conservative for his own good even in his prime. He never admitted he was rightly fired. I think Pruitt was his guy because Fulmer saw a kindred soul. They had the same philosophy and ideas about football... and apparently team discipline.

I admit I was terribly wrong. I thought Fulmer would make a good AD. He was still the same stubborn and maybe even arrogant guy who refused to change with the game the first time.

I know it doesn't really matter who the front runner is at this point because it's early, but of course there is a guy that CJH believes has performed better up to this point.

My guess is that person will be taking the earliest most reps on Saturday with the other guys we know are sure to be 1st teamers (Cade, Cooper, and Wright). That doesn't necessarily mean that player starts the scrimmage, but I believe they'll get the most early reps with them.

JMO----(After saying that, watch them each get the equal number of repso_O)
It always matters who is in the lead and especially if they're leading on the mental/decision making side. If one guy is able to go the next level deep into the playbook before the others then that's a very significant advantage as the competition continues.

Reactions: LittleVol
Then please explain the physics of how carrying more mass on the body, somehow lessens the impact of a head in a helmet, hitting the ground.

Slighter players are tackled to the ground with more force than heavier players like say Derrick Henry. The more force you are tackled with the more force your head hits the ground with.

Great play, but I don’t want Maurer treating every play like he’s never won a Super Bowl before in the twilight of his career.

That said, This is probably my favorite all time football play. Everything about it is great.
Hopefully he grows wiser as he gets older and is smarter about when and where to attempt plays like that. Like late in the 4th, game on the line as opposed 1st quarter, tied 7 all... haaaa

VN Store

Back