Maurer emerging as QB1?

Hoping that Coach Heupel is better at developing and managing QBs than our last coach. All indications are that he is . . . but we've been down this road before. In any case, I'm 100% behind whoever is taking the snaps for this team.

Reactions: tbh
If Heupel cannot develop a consensus 5 star highly coveted QB to be a starter in KnoxVegas, we'll see that player blossom at another P5 school very shortly and whatever takes snaps for the ensuing Vols will be JG 2.0 and hasten Heupels departure down I-40 is my prediction.
Unless he's improved... HB didn't show the arm strength to be a 5* QB last year. He isn't a runner.

I thought he looked poised and mentally good.

From a purely physical standpoint, Maurer (the 3*) has the most ability. He has the strongest arm and has better straight line speed than Hooker. His primary issue with "accuracy" has been decisions rather than ball placement.

I don't think any of these guys will be JG2. He is the most "unique" QB failure I can remember. Maurer, Bailey, and/or Hooker may fail. They may be awful. I don't think all three or really any will fail because they cannot process information fast enough. The decision making just never seemed to become second nature to JG.

I am working through a similar situation with a guy at work. He knows the right answers but cannot react to situations with confidence and without "thinking". Some people have minds that do not work that way.

Last edited:
If Heupel cannot develop a consensus 5 star highly coveted QB to be a starter in KnoxVegas, we'll see that player blossom at another P5 school very shortly and whatever takes snaps for the ensuing Vols will be JG 2.0 and hasten Heupels departure down I-40 is my prediction.

And maybe he’ll develop a marginal 4 star into an All-SEC type signal caller? I don’t think stars are going to be part of the equation when Heupel decides on who going to run his offense.

Last edited:
I wonder what VN's reaction will be when Harrison Bailey ends up being the 3rd choice behind BM and HH?

It seems he's by far the fan favorite and a very talented prospect. With that said, his skill set and talents are the least similiar to past Heupel QB's IMO.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Don't understand the injury-prone statements. He had one lingering injury where the inept offensive line couldn't block the nursing home's team and Maurer's head was bent backwards and nearly stuck in his own rear.
It's because he's rail thin as a QB. Any shot he takes is more likely to hurt him, and he was concussed twice in 2019.

Unless he's improved... HB didn't show the arm strength to be a 5* QB last year. He isn't a runner.

I thought he looked poised and mentally good.

I don't think any of these guys will be JG2. He is the most "unique" QB failure I can remember. Maurer, Bailey, and/or Hooker may fail. They may be awful. I don't think all three or really any will fail because they cannot process information fast enough. The decision making just never seemed to become second nature to JG.

I am working through a similar situation with a guy at work. He knows the right answers but cannot react to situations with confidence and without "thinking". Some people have minds that do not work that way.
I try not to draw too many conclusions on Bailey or Maurer because it's just not fair to put a QB in a box based on him being forced onto the field as a true freshman. Most just aren't physically or mentally ready for it.

You're dead on about JG. Derek Dooley got killed for the German troops vs. American troops analogy, but JG is exactly the type of player he was talking about who doesn't quite know what to do when things don't go according to plan. Some are paralyzed when things start happening, but the good ones go make a play. That's why an athlete like Brian Maurer is intriguing if they can get his eyes going to the right places and he can learn to protect himself a little better.

I never doubted his talent and he appears to have some 'fire" in him. He's young though and older folk tend to forget younger folk act rashly sometimes (especially kids with 'moxy'). The trick is, do they mature and settle down as some time passes?

Seems like maybe he has..
I sure hope he has because he can't take too many more tumbles on his head. Maybe some actual QB coaching will help him progress and it seems that they may be getting that. It would be a welcomed change in my opinion

It’s Brian or his relative or friend 18 in the username is no coincidence. Brian is a below average QB who has more interest in Twitter and being a “hype man” per say. And what’s with all the creep heart emojis and blowing kiss emojis he used to send to recruits? Weird.

Our current head coach was an All-American QB in his own right...who also won a natty...I’m pretty confident he’ll put the right guy behind center. And none of our present QBs are below average now that JG is gone!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Hope I'm wrong but Maurer feels like JG all over again.
I never questioned JG talent or abilities. To be fair to JG and all the other players, they never had coaches that truly developed them. That could be because of the coaches or the players now buying in but I think that things are changing. I would have loved to see what JG could have done with a quality QB Coach and a HC that knew what he was doing.

No. Heupel has to choose the right guy and get performance. If Bailey can't win the job then that's on Bailey, not Heupel.

We fans are starved for information and are probably making more out of positives and negatives at this point of the competition. We aren't getting nearly enough to draw conclusions. However right now it sounds like Hooker and Maurer have stepped out ahead of Bailey.
Maurer maybe, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think Hooker is ahead of Bailey.

I never questioned JG talent or abilities. To be fair to JG and all the other players, they never had coaches that truly developed them. That could be because of the coaches or the players now buying in but I think that things are changing. I would have loved to see what JG could have done with a quality QB Coach and a HC that knew what he was doing.
You mean a guy who has had two draft pick QBs in the last 5 years and coached an NFL HoF in college as well? JG was never a good QB. Not in HS, not in college. That one game against Auburn made Pruitt his biggest fan and Pruitt could never see the true value(read: none) of Guarantano after that.

Maurer maybe, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think Hooker is ahead of Bailey.
I haven't heard or seen comments since the first few practices. Then they praised his decision making.

I still believe the winner will be determined more by decision making and command of the O than by physical talent. All three have the physical talent to be successful in Heupel's O.

Hooker will be QB1. He has 24 starts under his belt. I guarantee Heupel will go with his only experienced QB.

Hooker will be QB1. He has 24 starts under his belt. I guarantee Heupel will go with his only experienced QB.
The good news is that there really aren't any inexperienced options. I can't remember seeing too many QB battles where 3 guys had multiple starts.

I honestly think JG was the fourth best QB on the team last year. Maybe the best practice QB, but the 4th best game day QB. Have no idea what Pruitt/Weinke saw in him.

Pruitt was a defensive minded coach. JG couldn't get in the end zone but in Pruitt's mind he was the least turnover prone. That turned out to backfire because this defense wasn't good enough to hold teams to under their scoring average.

Reactions: memtownvol
I haven't heard or seen comments since the first few practices. Then they praised his decision making.

I still believe the winner will be determined more by decision making and command of the O than by physical talent. All three have the physical talent to be successful in Heupel's O.

Agreed the guy with the strongest arm or the fastest legs isn't necessarily the guy who has the best intangibles that is the leader that can command the offense and get in the end zone the best.

Pruitt was a defensive minded coach. JG couldn't get in the end zone but in Pruitt's mind he was the least turnover prone. That turned out to backfire because this defense wasn't good enough to hold teams to under their scoring average.
That's funny because last year JG was a walking pick 6 waiting to happen.

VN Store

Back