Maurer emerging as QB1?

Slighter players are tackled to the ground with more force than heavier players like say Derrick Henry. The more force you are tackled with the more force your head hits the ground with.
One of the tricks to lessening impact is anticipation and moving away from the tackler at the right moment.. Emmitt Smith was a classic example of this..

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Hopefully he grows wiser as he gets older and is smarter about when and where to attempt plays like that. Like late in the 4th, game on the line as opposed 1st quarter, tied 7 all... haaaa
I like the way he plays but I couldn’t agree more

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
One of the tricks to lessening impact is anticipation and moving away from the tackler at the right moment.. Emmitt Smith was a classic example of this..
I like the way he plays but I couldn’t agree more

From a QB standpoint, Josh Dobbs was one of the best I’ve ever seen at receiving a hit and yet at the same time not taking a hit. Maurer needs to look at some Dobbs tape and how he anticipated the shots he would take.

For those who don't follow this guy on Twitter, I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you who he is but I have no idea. All I can tell you is he posts a lot of very insightful things about Tennessee and I don't mean rumor mill type stuff... I mean X's and O's mean and potatoes type stuff. Whoever this guy is he knows football and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's got some connections on the hill.

Best guy win but I'm sorry Maurer couldn't beat out JG I don't see how he could beat out Harrison Bailey or Hendon Hooker!
Speaking of JG , he is heating up according to the headline.

Jarrett Guarantano heating up in WSU spring football, flashes arm strength
Yes the Heisman trophy practice god!

Reactions: tnvols72
Pruitt's philosophy of play placed a premium on avoiding mistakes on O more than producing plays. I believe when he kept saying that JG was the best option it was because the others made more mistakes in practice and not because he made more good plays.

Fulmer was probably too conservative for his own good even in his prime. He never admitted he was rightly fired. I think Pruitt was his guy because Fulmer saw a kindred soul. They had the same philosophy and ideas about football... and apparently team discipline.

I admit I was terribly wrong. I thought Fulmer would make a good AD. He was still the same stubborn and maybe even arrogant guy who refused to change with the game the first time.
Agreed. I have always said he would rather have a QB throw for 175 yds 1 TD and no picks than 330 yds 4 TD and 2 picks

Slighter players are tackled to the ground with more force than heavier players like say Derrick Henry. The more force you are tackled with the more force your head hits the ground with.

If that were even remotely true, then wide receivers would be sustaining concussions more than any other position, given their weight/times tackled ratio, but that's not the case. Tight End is at the most risk of sustaining a concussion, which also contradicts your belief, given the average build of a Tight End.

NFL-Funded Study Identifies Positions Most at Risk of Brain Injury

Reactions: sjt18
Because he redshirted at some point in time i would assume. He played in 8 games his freshman year but 4 games in his sophomore year due to injury. It may be possible he was granted a medical redshirt for his sophomore year is only thing I could guess.
yeah, u can play in up to 4 games and then redshirt

Every talent evaluation outlet had their own opinions on Bailey as well as individuals. I remember the unrest over varying opinions. Rivals had him as a 5*. 247 had him a 4* as well as ESPN. I personally didn’t see it and had him a high 3*. Needless to say my evaluation of him didn’t blow over well here on VN when I was telling people that he wasn’t what people think. Evidently when he competed in the elite 11, surrounded by QB evaluators, their evaluation was closer to my own and the end result was him placing 11th out of 12. You gotta remember that these services paint with a very wide brush. Their focus ISNT just qbs and that’s why they miss so often. Yet people trust them like gospel. Never understood it. So to say that CJH would be the failure is to say that you trust that wide brush over professionals with a focus.

I watched him play a couple of times live at Marietta High as I live a few minutes away these days. Bailey was everything the rating services had him as and a bag of chips. You're a Maurer shill, it's no secret. If Maurer gets the job, I'm a Vols fan and wll support him if and until his performance requires a change. However my personal evaluation of HB will not change and I expect him to do extremely well wherever he plays, it won't be on Rocky Top if Maurer wins out, best believe that. That failure and HB's success elsewhere will stick to Huepel like a bad tattoo as HB does very well elsewhere if it comes to that is my prediction.

From a QB standpoint, Josh Dobbs was one of the best I’ve ever seen at receiving a hit and yet at the same time not taking a hit. Maurer needs to look at some Dobbs tape and how he anticipated the shots he would take.

If you've ever played the game chances are there have been guys you could not just blow them up when tackling them. No matter how vulnerable they are you can't deliver the big hit. It's innate I'm convinced and a talent. I played against guys like that, thinking you've finally got them and somehow they just twist around and sort of lightly touch the ground. Dobbs had that at UT. Dorsett was a running back you rarely saw getting blown up. There are others.

Speaking of JG , he is heating up according to the headline.

Jarrett Guarantano heating up in WSU spring football, flashes arm strength

A JG article behind a paywall?

e937df3604dbc437d680c6eb985be06f.gif

It always matters who is in the lead and especially if they're leading on the mental/decision making side. If one guy is able to go the next level deep into the playbook before the others then that's a very significant advantage as the competition continues.

My point is that it doesn't matter who's winning the QB battle in April. It matters who is winning the QB battle in August (football season).

Right now what matters is them getting better, making their teammates better, and competing.

Last edited:
I watched him play a couple of times live at Marietta High as I live a few minutes away these days. Bailey was everything the rating services had him as and a bag of chips. You're a Maurer shill, it's no secret. If Maurer gets the job, I'm a Vols fan and wll support him if and until his performance requires a change. However my personal evaluation of HB will not change and I expect him to do extremely well wherever he plays, it won't be on Rocky Top if Maurer wins out, best believe that. That failure and HB's success elsewhere will stick to Huepel like a bad tattoo as HB does very well elsewhere if it comes to that is my prediction.
I watched him live myself as I lived in Atlanta his junior and senior seasons. Which is where I came up with my evaluation to begin with. That’s my point though. Some have a pre conceived opinion going in and therefore see things that others may not. I obviously didn’t see what you did. 247 and ESPN didn’t see what what Rivals did. The elite 11 didn’t see what you OR them seen. His evaluations were all over the spectrum. A true 5* talent is undeniable. That by NO MEANS means he can’t improve or hasn’t.

There have been plenty of fantastic high school QBs who could not start in college. Same for college QBs in the pros. Bailey’s job is to earn the starting position. I hope he can earn it. If he can’t then good luck at your next stop. Maybe he can call cornbread and find him a roster spot somewhere.

If you think Bailey’s lack of success will have an impact on the reputation of Josh Heupel then your opinion is greatly inflated.

I know it doesn't really matter who the front runner is at this point because it's early, but of course there is a guy that CJH believes has performed better up to this point.

My guess is that person will be taking the earliest most reps on Saturday with the other guys we know are sure to be 1st teamers (Cade, Cooper, and Wright). That doesn't necessarily mean that player starts the scrimmage, but I believe they'll get the most early reps with them.

JMO----(After saying that, watch them each get the equal number of repso_O)
Getting the egual reps is pretty much what is going on now. As it has been talked about and seen the other day on a video he could be running 2 reps at one time from the same position.

Reactions: keenobserver

VN Store

Back