Maurer emerging as QB1?

It’s just you because of his history of opinions on Maurer. 😏 Heupel will pick the best guy for this system...his history. All the rest from us and “insiders” is saber rattling.
Have you or anyone else head me declare a winner? I’ve given my opinion and that was “Hooker with the edge early”. By no means would I be surprised to see Maurer pass everyone by fall but I haven’t predicted such a thing

Speaking of JG , he is heating up according to the headline.

Jarrett Guarantano heating up in WSU spring football, flashes arm strength
His arm strength probably is impressive for Pullman, WA.

I remember when Cornbread could coach defense - how did that work out ?
Point taken, but you don't become gay because your girlfriend dumps you. You just see the signs it isn't working sooner and wise up.
Anyone getting the UT job will have been successful somewhere prior and earned a promotion and the big time opportunity (minus Dooley). Pruitt still is a great defensive coordinator, despite his UT tenure.
Heupel's job is to rebuild this team. He strikes me as having better head coach skills than Pruitt. Our stock is up in the long run. Will it pan out, ??? but our outlook is brighter to me. If Heupel does not measure up, we will know and his days will be numbered.
It is always a challenge to look ahead without feeling the pain after being burned by the last one.

Have you or anyone else head me declare a winner? I’ve given my opinion and that was “Hooker with the edge early”. By no means would I be surprised to see Maurer pass everyone by fall but I haven’t predicted such a thing
Why you getting defensive? Where are you quoting ME saying that you did? Could have easily applied to Austin Price.

Because he redshirted at some point in time i would assume. He played in 8 games his freshman year but 4 games in his sophomore year due to injury. It may be possible he was granted a medical redshirt for his sophomore year is only thing I could guess.
Last year everyone was given a free year. I am sure this has been said by now but he is a Sophomore should be a redshirt Sophomore.

Well, no. He was injured after a freak fall as a Fr. Then he was said to be dealing with a hamstring all year last year.... then in one game shortly after the announcers said it... he came in to do a QB run. From what I've gleaned, Maurer and Pruitt had already agreed that he was leaving. The injury claim gave Pruitt some cover.

In what respect is he a "head case"? Because he suffered from depression? At any given time, about 10% of all Americans are depressed. A much larger % will suffer from depression at some point in their lives.

He has forced awful throws. In what way does that mean he always will... that he cannot be coached up if someone takes the time to do it? He's also shown flashes by throwing balls neither of the other two have shown they can throw.
He’s a headcase in the sense he’d rather tweet at fans and all that bs plus makes pitiful decisions of where to throw the ball. A 45% completion percentage with 2 TD and 5 INT proves that. Has nothing to do with depression which a serious condition so please don’t try and gaslight me with the depression and suicide talk when that’s not what I’m talking about at all. Those are serious mental health issues and I’m not talking about those I’m talking about football.

1) If you don’t think he performed at an SEC level in his 4 starts, you had your eyes closed in 2019.
2) You’re judging seeing Maurer live vs SEC competition along side of Bailey in HS. Not even close to the same level of competition. He wasn’t perfect but if nothing else, anyone with eyes and a lack of bias could see he’s talented enough to be in the SEC.
3) Heupel recruited Maurer. It’s true. But how does that prove your point when Heupel recruited him early before anyone else was involved? Truth is it hurts your point because Heupel seen it earlier than the SEC schools and well before the elite 11 when everyone else started getting involved.
4) Bailey had the same amount of preparation heading into his first start vs UF as Maurer did in his vs UGA. So just stop.
5) “No matter what Heupel thinks”? His pedigree speaks for itself. His history speaks for itself. His evaluations speak for themselves. If he thinks BM is a better fit, then he’s a better fit. It doesn’t take anything away from Maurer by admitting that HB was a better “fit” for a conservative offense like Pruitts.
Brian stop.... you threw 2 TD and 5 INT in this so called SEC season in 2019. Please stop lying. Facts and stats do not favor your argument.

Why you getting defensive? Where are you quoting ME saying that you did? Could have easily applied to Austin Price.
Not getting defensive. I have full confidence in Brian within this competition. However, the moment he makes a mistake, leave it to the haters (being him or myself) to start calling me out. Notice none of them wanted to talk about scoring? Just ints. Got word from someone that was there that said he was by far the best in the red zone and the only one to THROW multiple tds. He also scored on the ground as well as HB. I’m just happy things are fair for once and we’re not being spoon fed BS for once

Best guy win but I'm sorry Maurer couldn't beat out JG I don't see how he could beat out Harrison Bailey or Hendon Hooker!

Yes the Heisman trophy practice god!
Totally different offense, last year doesn't mean a thing this year, and it didn't have anything to do with who beat who out, JG was Pruitts dude regardless

He’s a headcase in the sense he’d rather tweet at fans and all that bs plus makes pitiful decisions of where to throw the ball.
If he can be coached and gets better than that's a problem lots of Fr have had. The other doesn't make him a "head case".

A 45% completion percentage with 2 TD and 5 INT proves that.
Including trash time. He was better than 50% in his competitive time. He threw into trouble twice vs MSU. One of the others was a hand off by Jennings on a perfectly thrown ball. The UGA INT was over thrown. A bad pass.

Has nothing to do with depression which a serious condition so please don’t try and gaslight me with the depression and suicide talk when that’s not what I’m talking about at all.
It isn't my job to assume what you don't make clear. I doubt ANYONE who read your post thought you were talking about a tweet.

Those are serious mental health issues and I’m not talking about those I’m talking about football.
No you aren't or you wouldn't assume that a physically talented kid couldn't get better or deny that he's had flashes of looking really good. If he can clean up his mistakes then he appears to have the highest ceiling of the group. If he can't... then he'll never start at UT. But you writing Maurer off at this point is bias... not "football".

@sjt18 sometimes think people enjoyed 3 yard completions and 14 points a game....I always find it funny that ESPN QBR which adding strength of opponets that HBs was lower that BM. But he completed more against weaker defenses...ie Vandy

Reactions: 1vol8
He’s a headcase in the sense he’d rather tweet at fans and all that bs plus makes pitiful decisions of where to throw the ball. A 45% completion percentage with 2 TD and 5 INT proves that. Has nothing to do with depression which a serious condition so please don’t try and gaslight me with the depression and suicide talk when that’s not what I’m talking about at all. Those are serious mental health issues and I’m not talking about those I’m talking about football.
WOW.

So you're a coach and a clinical psychologist??

You say he's just fake all around, huh? He's not a QB or even a genuine person.
Does he have HIV too? I mean look at all that ink on his skin! He probably does drugs!

You sit there...and talk about the serious of depression and then you immediately call someone a head case??? Thank you for letting everyone know, whatever comes out your mouth shouldn't be taken seriously by default.

@sjt18 sometimes think people enjoyed 3 yard completions and 14 points a game....I always find it funny that ESPN QBR which adding strength of opponets that HBs was lower that BM. But he completed more against weaker defenses...ie Vandy
Agree but both are talented guys. We're looking at what they did as Fr.... so to write either off to me is just plainly stupid. Both did some good stuff. Maurer showed big play potential. HB showed poise and control. He showed the polish to go through progressions and get the ball out. I would say that Maurer did press too much. HB looked more like he was letting it come to him. Maurer has to calm down... HB needs to be able to press harder.

I looked it up on statcat. They were pretty much identical in % on balls thrown more than 15 yards.

Brian stop.... you threw 2 TD and 5 INT in this so called SEC season in 2019. Please stop lying. Facts and stats do not favor your argument.
Ok, this is getting down right childish now. I’m more than happy to “debate”. But until you decide to debate like an actual adult, I’m out. Have a good day

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not getting defensive. I have full confidence in Brian within this competition. However, the moment he makes a mistake, leave it to the haters (being him or myself) to start calling me out. Notice none of them wanted to talk about scoring? Just ints. Got word from someone that was there that said he was by far the best in the red zone and the only one to THROW multiple tds. He also scored on the ground as well as HB. I’m just happy things are fair for once and we’re not being spoon fed BS for once
Maybe you’re so battered you see “calling out” where it ain’t? There are plenty of Maurer advocates out there for you to feel safe.

Best guy win but I'm sorry Maurer couldn't beat out JG I don't see how he could beat out Harrison Bailey or Hendon Hooker!
Really? Maurer DID beat out JG then got injured. Pruitt as much as he resisted letting go of Maurer had given up and stated publicly that Maurer had become the starter.

Pruitt was fixated on JG. He did well in practice. Pruitt was fully convinced that JG was the "low risk" QB.... which was the most important factor in his style of play. Maurer is unlikely to ever be a "low risk" QB. At his best he's probably a guy who will still make aggressive mistakes. Pruitt hated the risk that comes with aggressive QB play.

I think you should be prepared to eat your words. Maurer has a better arm, he’s faster, and he thrived in an offense similar to this one in high school, Bailey reminds me an awful lot of Justin Worley, a big kid with a very average arm. I think it will come down to Maurer and Hooker with Maurer’s ability to throw winning him the job.
Maurer also forces throws into coverage

He threw 2 picks in team period today. Not saying it won't be him but they say Hooker has been the most consistent.

He threw 2 picks in team period today. Not saying it won't be him but they say Hooker has been the most consistent.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hooker is the guy. Maurer has to clean up the mistakes or he won't be.

I'm not sure what to think of Bailey at this point. He looks like a smart, game manager type of QB. I haven't seen any "wow" types of physical ability. Is there any word of him doing anything particularly great today?

One, he isn't "rail thin" at 6'3" 205... there are a lot of QB's who play at that build. IIRC, JG was 6'4" 195 as a RS Fr when he was being sacked 30 times over a half season because he couldn't get the ball out.

Two, it was a freak fall. It probably would have had the same impact on almost anyone. Have someone hang you by your feet with your head 6' off the ground, blindfold you, then drop you. You'll probably have a concussion and/or neck injury.

Three, it could result in him being more prone to concussions but we have not seen that yet. If I understand correctly, concussions can be cumulative but not always.

Four, there is the possibility that he could be more naturally prone to concussions.... but we don't have proof yet for that either.
He is now 205. As a freshman he was not

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Agree but both are talented guys. We're looking at what they did as Fr.... so to write either off to me is just plainly stupid. Both did some good stuff. Maurer showed big play potential. HB showed poise and control. He showed the polish to go through progressions and get the ball out. I would say that Maurer did press too much. HB looked more like he was letting it come to him. Maurer has to calm down... HB needs to be able to press harder.

I looked it up on statcat. They were pretty much identical in % on balls thrown more than 15 yards.
They.both have work to do...i felt alot of Maurer was timing when he was put in.....UF behind...tried to make plays....KY. never got the ball for more then a few minutes in the 1st...so he pressed....MSU was mistakes he would learn from....hard to put guy as competitive as he is, in a game behind by several score...he gonna press especially as a freshman...where as HB was thrown in favorable situations....end of blowouts, a drive or 2..

He is now 205. As a freshman he was not
And that still has no bearing on getting a concussion the way he did. It wouldn't have mattered if he were 125 or 225. When you get dumped awkwardly on your head... you are likely to get a concussion.

Hate to tell you, so did Bailey. One is on video

They.both have work to do...i felt alot of Maurer was timing when he was put in.....UF behind...tried to make plays....KY. never got the ball for more then a few minutes in the 1st...so he pressed....MSU was mistakes he would learn from....hard to put guy as competitive as he is, in a game behind by several score...he gonna press especially as a freshman...where as HB was thrown in favorable situations....end of blowouts, a drive or 2..
Agree. But the guys did handle their situations differently pointing to their mental make up. Maurer is a guy you have to rein back. He has maybe too much confidence in his ability to fit balls in. He's too aggressive.

Bailey pumped his stat line in that one game where he executed the 2 minute O... by taking what the D gave which was short dump downs. I think they even got onto him on the sideline for not pushing more.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Maybe you’re so battered you see “calling out” where it ain’t? There are plenty of Maurer advocates out there for you to feel safe.
I see “calling out” just as you did. The moment you seen he threw a pick, you were clicking my name

VN Store

Back