Maurer emerging as QB1?

Ok, this is getting down right childish now. I’m more than happy to “debate”. But until you decide to debate like an actual adult, I’m out. Have a good day
Or just look at facts and stop acting like savior boy Maurer looked “SEC Caliber” in his time as a starter. You have 0 and I repeat 0 stats to back that up. 2 TD 5 INT is not good. Never has been and never will be. Neither is 45% completion.

45% competition and 2 TD and 5 INT wouldn’t cut it at Emory and Henry but everyone in here ready to drop to their knees and act like Brian Maurer is the savior. Y’all get ready for an awful fall unless for some reason a miracle happens. Can’t believe some can seriously argue that he looked SEC caliber in his starts.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I've been on the Bailey wagon for over a year now but I will say this... If BM wins the job he's earned himself a new "biggest fan". To stick with us through uncertainty and keep competing after the signing of a 5-star QB in 2020 and accepting a QB transfer who started at a Power 5 program... says a lot.

1000% agreed man. Wish I could give multiple likes. People criticized him last year (myself included) for getting salty when Pruitt was being bashed. But the young man stuck it out Amd seems to be firmly in the mix. We all know he’s a pretty damn good athlete. But we don’t know much else about him because we had the worst manager in the bistro of college football teaching him throughout his career. Truth is maurer likely would e won the job a couple of years ago if we’d have had a component coach. But now we have hooker, Bailey, and salter he has to compete with. If whe wins the job he’s damn sure earned it and vol nation will support the hell out of him

1) If you don’t think he performed at an SEC level in his 4 starts, you had your eyes closed in 2019.
2) You’re judging seeing Maurer live vs SEC competition along side of Bailey in HS. Not even close to the same level of competition. He wasn’t perfect but if nothing else, anyone with eyes and a lack of bias could see he’s talented enough to be in the SEC.
3) Heupel recruited Maurer. It’s true. But how does that prove your point when Heupel recruited him early before anyone else was involved? Truth is it hurts your point because Heupel seen it earlier than the SEC schools and well before the elite 11 when everyone else started getting involved.
4) Bailey had the same amount of preparation heading into his first start vs UF as Maurer did in his vs UGA. So just stop.
5) “No matter what Heupel thinks”? His pedigree speaks for itself. His history speaks for itself. His evaluations speak for themselves. If he thinks BM is a better fit, then he’s a better fit. It doesn’t take anything away from Maurer by admitting that HB was a better “fit” for a conservative offense like Pruitts.
Maurer played better in 2019 then 2020 but come on man , the TD-INT ratio his freshman year indicates he was not playing at a SEC capable level. He made good plays but also had his share of making extremely bad decisions on throws which resulted in his final interception tally. Now in the future ....who knows? Every Qb on the roster had huge question marks. We may have some quality SEC Qb’s on the roster or we may strike out on all four.

45% competition and 2 TD and 5 INT wouldn’t cut it at Emory and Henry but everyone in here ready to drop to their knees and act like Brian Maurer is the savior. Y’all get ready for an awful fall unless for some reason a miracle happens. Can’t believe some can seriously argue that he looked SEC caliber in his starts.
He obviously did in 2019.

Threw for over 200 yards in the first half against the best defense in America at the time.

What on earth are you talking about? Dude moved the offense. Got us our only points against FLA, moved it against MS State, UGA and Bammer. How can you do that as a true freshman in the SEC and not be SEC caliber?

And furthermore why be so bent out of shape about him potentially starting? Would you prefer JG? No matter who is playing it will be a lot better than what we had with JG.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Maurer played better in 2019 then 2020 but come on man , the TD-INT ratio his freshman year indicates he was not playing at a SEC capable level. He made good plays but also had his share of making extremely bad decisions on throws which resulted in his final interception tally. Now in the future ....who knows? Every Qb on the roster had huge question marks. We may have some quality SEC Qb’s on the roster or we may strike out on all four.
Don’t tell Brian that or whichever of his family members this is. Brian is their little all star!!

Threw for over 200 yards in the first half against the best defense in America at the time.

What on earth are you talking about? Dude moved the offense. Got us our only points against FLA, moved it against MS State, UGA and Bammer. How can you do that as a true freshman in the SEC and not be SEC caliber?

And furthermore why be so bent out of shape about him potentially starting? Would you prefer JG? No matter who is playing it will be a lot better than what we had with JG.
No he didn’t... he had 45% completion with 2 TD and 5 INT in 2019. In what world is that good man? JG had bright spots too and he was ass. Good portions of games doesn’t mean as a whole you are SEC caliber. He just wasn’t in 2019 stop lying to yourself.

Last edited:
Let’s call a spade a spade Butchna. You don’t “wait”. Otherwise you’d be calling out many more people than me on their “personal stake” involving Bailey. But because you may agree, you don’t say chit when many more people are clamoring for him. Just hours ago Remy all but said “If Bailey isn’t the guy, imma take my ball and go home”. Where were you? Cause you certainly found me.
There’s a legion of posters who have not only decided Heupel requires a dual threat type to run his offense but also that Bailey has a weak arm. I don’t jump to his defense because I know that they spitting dirty butt air out they mouth and Heupel will pick his QB despite their input. Remy made an absolute statement but it wasn’t under the guise of objectivity. You try to slip your bias by people and it’s my only issue with you. Can’t decide if you do it out of disrespect or some other narrative. Would love to talk football with you...if I trusted your intentions. Bailey was a threat to your boy, so you evaluated him and gave him 3 stars. You put water in bs it’s still bs...it’s just soupy.

Don’t tell Brian that or whichever of his family members this is. Brian is their little all star!!
1vol8 is actually someone who has worked as a independent paid coach for Maurer if I understand the situation correctly. Any of Maurer’s mistakes so far in his UT career are always someone else’s fault.

No he didn’t... he had 45% completion with 3 TD and 5 INT in 2019. In what world is that good man? JG had bright spots too and he was ass. Good portions of games doesn’t mean as a whole you are SEC caliber. He just wasn’t in 2019 stop lying to yourself.
One of the interceptions was Jennings fault and the other was a tipped pass.

But under the circumstances, a true freshman being thrown to the wolves against the best of the best in the SEC, with a horrible QB coach and awful offense he did really well.

He very obviously has potential. Strong arm. Athletic.

The jury is out on his decision making, but he can make almost all the throws, like there's no doubt he could be a starter for us.

Sake with every other QB we have.

Reactions: 1vol8
Here's a couple of snippets from two different guys at 247, first Patrick Brown and then Ryan Callahan:

"Virginia Tech transfer Hooker took the first-team reps on Saturday and I think he at least could be serviceable because he’ll be able to make a lot of the throws this offense needs and he’s a great runner. I’m not sure his ceiling is higher than the other two, but his floor is. Maurer remains what he is: A roller-coaster ride. He will make a great play one snap and make an ill-advised decision or throw the next."

"On offense, the quarterbacks were unspectacular across the board, although Maurer had his moments and Hooker was steady. Hooker looks like the most reliable option right now, while Bailey mostly worked with second- and third-teamers."

They all cautioned that we were just over halfway through spring practice in a new system. They also said they thought we'd be keeping our eyes on the portal.

Reactions: BisonVol and sjt18
If he STARTS, that means he beat out a former 5 star QB and another 4 star who started 16 games at another power 5 school.
So why would he be slaw if he's able to do that??

You're saying he's trash no matter what. And that's just lame AF.
He's a Vol QB just like Bailey and Hooker. Let the best man win whoever it is.
But to sit there and just continue to trash the kid is doodoo.

If he does ball out, nobody expects you to man up...

1vol8 is actually someone who has worked as a independent paid coach for Maurer if I understand the situation correctly. Any of Maurer’s mistakes so far in his UT career are always someone else’s fault.
Yep. It is very clear that he is tied to Maurer in some way. Brian does no wrong in this posters eyes.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

Playing well in spots of a couple of games against good competition does not mean you are a Quality SEC starter. It means you may have potential. So far BM’s quality of work in 2019 and especially 2020 indicates he is not a capable starting SEC Qb. What part of that is due to the bad coaching is unknown. Maurer may develop or he may be a complete bust. No one knows at this time.

If he STARTS, that means he beat out a former 5 star QB and another 4 star who started 16 games at another power 5 school.
So why would he be slaw if he's able to do that??

You're saying he's trash no matter what. And that's just lame AF.
He's a Vol QB just like Bailey and Hooker. Let the best man win whoever it is.
But to sit there and just continue to trash the kid is doodoo.

If he does ball out, nobody expects you to man up...
All I’m saying is everyone needs to stop acting like Brian Maurer is god sent in this place. Prepare yourself for subpar QB that you all will be composing about 3 games in. If he plays well then he does but he’s done nothing more than any other QB on roster to show he’s going to be good.

Can’t hold him responsible for that total stat line for the season. 1) he was a freshman and mistakes are expected. Pruitt pulled him and anyone not named JG for those mistakes. So I REFUSE to accept his season stats as an indicator of who he is. His 4 starts, I’ll accept that he could be better with time. 2) Qb is NOT a plug and play position like Pruitt thinks it is. And therefore I REFUSE to accept the stats in the games I know for a fact he wasn’t prepared to play in.

That’s my overall point and as you can see, I’m GOING to stand by it.

Here's a couple of snippets from two different guys at 247, first Patrick Brown and then Ryan Callahan:

"Virginia Tech transfer Hooker took the first-team reps on Saturday and I think he at least could be serviceable because he’ll be able to make a lot of the throws this offense needs and he’s a great runner. I’m not sure his ceiling is higher than the other two, but his floor is. Maurer remains what he is: A roller-coaster ride. He will make a great play one snap and make an ill-advised decision or throw the next."

"On offense, the quarterbacks were unspectacular across the board, although Maurer had his moments and Hooker was steady. Hooker looks like the most reliable option right now, while Bailey mostly worked with second- and third-teamers."

They all cautioned that we were just over halfway through spring practice in a new system. They also said they thought we'd be keeping our eyes on the portal.
If we are keeping eyes on the portal it means the coaches do not like what they are seeing. It may turn out differently by the first game but the odds are we do not have a quality Qb on the roster. That’s what my take is on 247’s opinions.

Reactions: BisonVol
Can’t hold him responsible for that total stat line for the season. 1) he was a freshman and mistakes are expected. Pruitt pulled him and anyone not named JG for those mistakes. So I REFUSE to accept his season stats as an indicator of who he is. His 4 starts, I’ll accept that he could be better with time. 2) Qb is NOT a plug and play position like Pruitt thinks it is. And therefore I REFUSE to accept the stats in the games I know for a fact he wasn’t prepared to play in.

That’s my overall point and as you can see, I’m GOING to stand by it.
Of course, you have been paid to stand by it. Right?

All this debate about Maurer is a lot of wasted breath. I have little interest in what armchair QB’s or his relatives think. More interested in what Heupel thinks. All Maurer has to do is prove it on the field. No more talk. No more Twitter. So far he has proven nothing except that he is inconsistent and injury prone. We shall see if any of that has changed. My opinion is the that if he is the best we have then we are still in deep 💩 at QB but hey, I was wrong once today already according to my wife.

All I’m saying is everyone needs to stop acting like Brian Maurer is god sent in this place.
Who is saying that? 1vol8 has a personal relationship with Maurer. I think most of the others saying good things about Maurer are open to any of the 3. To people like you the comments may seem out of balance because there are several like you who have written the kid off and write premature and often ridiculous conclusions about him. Some very obviously do it because they've attached themselves to Bailey and don't want to hear that someone else may beat him out.

Prepare yourself for subpar QB that you all will be composing about 3 games in. If he plays well then he does but he’s done nothing more than any other QB on roster to show he’s going to be good.
Right. You can't help yourself. You keep trying to build these strawmen. If he plays he will have earned it by beating the other two out. If he does that then plays poorly... he'll be replaced. Pretty simple if you are trying to be open and objective concerning the competition.

As for doing "nothing"... yeah. He's had flashes where he put the ball in very small windows and made some excellent throws down the field. He's also made too many mistakes. He's made throws that Bailey definitely has not made and may not be capable of making. Maurer has the strongest arm of the 3. I'm not sure anyone anywhere argues that.

I think Hooker has a lot of promise but he hasn't shown a big arm either.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
All I’m saying is everyone needs to stop acting like Brian Maurer is god sent in this place. Prepare yourself for subpar QB that you all will be composing about 3 games in. If he plays well then he does but he’s done nothing more than any other QB on roster to show he’s going to be good.
I'm not preparing myself for anything. If he's subpar he won't be starting.
And thats really the end of the conversation.

All this debate about Maurer is a lot of wasted breath. I have little interest in what armchair QB’s or his relatives think. More interested in what Heupel thinks. All Maurer has to do is prove it on the field. No more talk. No more Twitter. So far he has proven nothing except that he is inconsistent and injury prone. We shall see if any of that has changed. My opinion is the that if he is the best we have then we are still in deep 💩 at QB but hey, I was wrong once today already according to my wife.
It isn't a proven fact that he is injury prone. He had a head injury that would have caused a concussion in virtually anyone.

He has been inconsistent. He's had flashes as well. His chances of winning the job hinge on reducing mistakes and making big plays.

So if he beats out a guy who was a successful starter at VT and a 5* recruit... himself being an Elite 11 QB... that means UT is in deep crap? That's pretty weak reasoning.

You're going to get some people going.... They don't want to hear that Bailey is trailing right now.

I think he can still win the job but there is increasing smoke... saying he's 3rd right now.

As you said. Nobody's opinion matters but Huepel's. That means your opinion as well.

VN Store

Back