Poll: Happy with Heupel?

• Yes

Votes: 1,057 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 741 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me until spring practice and I'll have us going 14-1 or 15-0 lol. I'm just not that excited about the hire
I feel you. I was really hoping for Kiffin, Freeze, Franklin, or Fleck but was willing to settle for Napier or Chadwell... Heupel wasn't on my radar because his wins total was going the wrong direction. In digging in a little to his 3 regular season losses in 2020 (bowl games mean nothing to me) I convinced myself that he was close to being 10-0 last year and that my tone would be a lot different if that were the case then i saw that his worst offense at UCF averaged 42 ppg and now all of a sudden I see a promising a future lol. We'll see how it goes.

On the not so pretty side of things... his defenses were terrible. Needs to do better there. And since arriving in 2018 he progressively ran the ball less and less. I think getting away from the run may have hurt him in 2020... it'd be interesting to hear what he thinks about that.

Ha... if the recent trend continues.... the "Basketball School" theory will also be out the window.
This program overall is a mid major. If Barnes hangs it up I guess you can welcome Johnny Dawkins since it pays to be good pals with White

There is nothing to be happy about. His record, though decent, has been in decline from his first year. And he was poached from his old school by an AD who previously worked with him - this was planned and executed from day one. Having said all of this, if Heupel has a great staff, he should do better than Pruitt. I'm of the opinion that crippling penalties are about to come down from the NCAA. If I'm right, Heupel will be nothing more than a placeholder anyway and White will have another hiring opportunity in four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
UCFs largest loss margin was against BYU in the bowl game. BYU went 11-1 last season, I think.

UCF offense puts up huge numbers and the 3 regular season losses were for a combined 12 points and lost to Cinci by 3 points.

They were 1 score or 1 stop in each of those 3 season games away from an undefeated regular season

Again... that's UCF.

UCF isn't a SEC Caliber school.

Coaching in the SEC brings high pressure and some lower conference coaches don't do as well.

I'd prefer someone who is at least a power 5 school , if not with SEC HC experience.

People want Kiffin and Freeze..not only because of success but their experience in the SEC.

People want a coach who knows how to beat Bama, Georgia, and Florida.

UCF last beat Bama in 2000 in the pre-Saban era.

If we can't beat the big 3... we're no better than we have been for the past several years.

Just because you can go undefeated in a smaller conference, doesn't mean you can do it here.

Just my thoughts....

Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
Damn, why not just hire Freeze or poach "The Pirate". Makes no sense to go with Heupel. NCAA sanctions are going to cripple any new coach anyway. In the end, does it even matter.
I agree with you. I think the sanctions will be so crippling that Heupel will be nothing more than a bridge.

The level of entitlement among the Tennessee fan base is truly staggering. What winning coach would actually want to leave a successful program at any level come coach this dumpster fire? Do you think Nick Saban's coming to save our butt? Do you think Dabo Swinney is coming to coach for Tennessee just because we used to be somebody? We are a nobody program right now with nothing but problems. We're lucky we found a coach this quick and at this quality level. If we had not, we would have had Kevin Steele for the entire 2021 season and possibly further.

Reactions: ColinS
Again... that's UCF.

UCF isn't a SEC Caliber school.

Coaching in the SEC brings high pressure and some lower conference coaches don't do as well.

I'd prefer someone who is at least a power 5 school , if not with SEC HC experience.

People want Kiffin and Freeze..not only because of success but their experience in the SEC.

People want a coach who knows how to beat Bama, Georgia, and Florida.

UCF last beat Bama in 2000 in the pre-Saban era.

If we can't beat the big 3... we're no better than we have been for the past several years.

Just because you can go undefeated in a smaller conference, doesn't mean you can do it here.

Just my thoughts....
Kiffin and Freeze both have losing records in the SEC

I didnt vote on this poll, I don’t know what to think of the hire. Kinda shocked really. I expected a bigger name.

Unfortunately his coaching career, if you want to call it that, has been riding the wave of Scott Frost success at UCF. My vote is a nah, but you never know. His record has gotten worse every year he’s been there and the first two years were Scott Frost recruits working their way through the system. At this point he can handle Offensive duties, as that’s been proven, but running a P5 program as “The Man”, the jury is out. I figured we could do better, but agree that the list of candidates that would take this gig with the unknowns in front of us, is short! Magic Pixie Dust and Fingers Crossed as we are in the abyss. #GBO
Those were my first thoughts as well. It kind of reminds me of another coach we had riding Brian Kelly's coat tail... 👀

I think it's a "meh" hire tbh...But then again, some were calling Dan a meh hire too...Sometimes "meh" turns into a homerun.

For the situation we are currently facing, I think this is a good hire.
Should put an exciting product on the field that is fun to watch again.
Wins should trend back in the right direction.
Gives us the opportunity to reevaluate in 2 to 3 years post-NCAA spanking to get a bigger name winner.

Does the guy know how to win? Yes, so that's a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back