Official Coaching Search Thread

I’m convinced UT will be the only SEC opening until at least 2023. Everyone else looks safe unless Mullen bolts for the NFL after next season but that seems unlikely. Any coach wanting an SEC gig needs to jump on UT

How about Chip Kelly? I see him sort of similar to Malzahn - offensive guru who seems to have lost his touch. Still, we could do much worse than those 2. I'm surprised nobody has brought Kelly up - he was a huge coaching star not that long ago.

How about Chip Kelly? I see him sort of similar to Malzahn - offensive guru who seems to have lost his touch. Still, we could do much worse than those 2. I'm surprised nobody has brought Kelly up - he was a huge coaching star not that long ago.

I was a huge Kelly fan.......as in wanting him to come to Tennessee.

I mean he was 46-7 in 4 seasons at Oregon.....and also had good OC experience as well.

However no power 5 program is going to touch him right now.....if/when he is fired from UCLA.

After going 10-21 in 3 seasons there.

He certainly has/had coaching ability......but it seems much of his success......was player related. When he had them he was amazing......now that he don’t......womp womp womp.

I’m convinced UT will be the only SEC opening until at least 2023. Everyone else looks safe unless Mullen bolts for the NFL after next season but that seems unlikely. Any coach wanting an SEC gig needs to jump on UT
That's actually a really interesting point. I hadn't considered that, but you're right. That may be a huge selling point.

Yes, and then everyone figured out his offense, and now he sucks. If he can't win at UCLA, he definitely can't win in the SEC. He was a flash in the pan.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I say Napier all the way he is a former quarterback and can work with them and what he has done at Louisiana Lafayette is nothing short of amazing. Great recruiter and does it the right way
I'd be okay with him. I remember his name coming up numerous times when we were looking for position coaches.

To me, Napier, Chadwell, and Fickell are all in the same tier.

Napier and Chadwell are Tennessee guys, which helps. And all had great years this year.

Napier and Chadwell also have shown improvement at every place they have been. Napier has obviously only 3 years of experience, and Chadwell has more, and has done well at everywhere he has been.

Fickell has been outstanding at Cincy as well. Not sure he leaves (his son just signed there to play for him).

But I don't think Napier jumps at just any job. It just depends how he views our job. He turned down South Carolina, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

However, he is from Tennessee, and may have a hard time passing it up.

While explaining the concept of an interim head football coach to my 9 yr old, he replied, “Oh! So it’s like Ken Jennings?!”
Sure. Just, Jeremy Pruitt was no Alex Trebek.

I say Napier all the way he is a former quarterback and can work with them and what he has done at Louisiana Lafayette is nothing short of amazing. Great recruiter and does it the right way
I'd love to have him, but the reality is that he'll likely see us the same way as South Carolina when they tried to hire him. This was something I came across when researching coaches. It's more than just money to some guys.

Good point, but there is one flaw. Ole Miss will have a vacancy when we poach Lane.

This coaching search feels different. It has a kind of like a "fool me once" type of feel to it. No high hopes whatsoever.

This is the most magical time. Grumors, people staking out the local airports, people wanting to hire manning, a new thread every 5 seconds to repeat the same thing every other thread stated.

It’s the best part of being a VFL

Cant forget the people that STILL think an up-and-comer is the answer.

And the people that want Quarles 😂😂

At the end of the day, as long as we hire a decent coach with P5 HC experience we will be fine. No more diamond in the rough, up and comers. Going this route is why we are where we are.

Reactions: amarcus07
At the end of the day, as long as we hire a decent coach with P5 HC experience we will be fine. No more diamond in the rough, up and comers. Going this route is why we are where we are.

I also recommend an automatic ban for anyone that recommends Quarles.

Yeah, it's called derivatives of an equation that can contextualize information and provide deeper insights... You CAN and you SHOULD make attempts to rationalize all numbers when comparing things that aren't equal... To not do so is just low effort, low brow, low intelligence armchair QBing... Maybe that's perfect for you, because that's really all you seem capable of - low intelligence thought processes... So yes, your take is EXTREMELY uninformed...
Disagree. Jeff Fisher sucks.

Reactions: volcop1
Being a HC is not about being a play caller.

Just Hire Manning. He can bring his nephew in a few years. Get him tons of good position coaches and a good OC and DC. He would give you recruiting power (you have non right now). Would be good from a PR perspective.

It’s your only hope. No coach can save you guys.

Sanctions are going to hurt recruiting, your already bad. So it will get worse. Add in fact the coach is getting fired and they are going to court to not pay him. Let’s be honest, every school violates rules. Bags of money is happening everywhere. If I’m a coach I’m not sure I wanna go somewhere, where it’s gonna be rough to start and then if I survive the rough time, the school with fire me and then not pay me because I do what everyone else does

VN Store

Back