John Currie

Fulmer has been calling prospective coaches, warning them against taking the UT job ever since his firing. Fulmer is the party most responsible for the decline of Tennessee football. He wanted UT to fail to show Hamilton, Currie, and company made a mistake firing him.

Riiiiiiiiiight, that's why Gary Patterson wanted the job in '09 but Hamilton was infatuated with Kiffin.

How would Patterson want the job if Fulmer was calling around telling prospective coaches not to take it?

Also why would a prospective coach listen to a guy who just got fired by the school?

Give it a rest man

The idea that anyone thinks Currie needed help screwing things up is laughable at best. He was a glorified fundraiser and vastly under qualified to be the AD at UT. He was not a good fit for a football heavy school like UT. Nobody in Knoxville wanted the guy but he was crammed down our throats anyway. Nobody knew who he was and he had zero clout in the sports world thus no respectable coach wanted to work for him. The truth is Currie wanted to keep Butch Jones because he already knew it was going to be a mountain climb at best for him to find a new coach, not because of where he worked but who he was. Fulmer didn't have to do a thing but stand aside and watch Currie hang himself.

Reactions: 5 people
What did I say that didn’t make sense?

Ok, lets assume for the sake of argument your argument has merit. Why then was Currie down in the Bahamas not looking to do anything but come back and hire Shiano when he got back ? If he was being backstabbed by anyone wouldn't he have had enough sense to be here fighting for what he thought should happen ? Or, more likely, was he just doing Haslam's bidding and coming back to hire Shiano when the s**t hit the fan ? Which one is more plausible ?

Reactions: 2 people
the idea that anyone thinks currie needed help screwing things up is laughable at best. He was a glorified fundraiser and vastly under qualified to be the ad at ut. He was not a good fit for a football heavy school like ut. Nobody in knoxville wanted the guy but he was crammed down our throats anyway. Nobody knew who he was and he had zero clout in the sports world thus no respectable coach wanted to work for him. The truth is currie wanted to keep butch jones because he already knew it was going to be a mountain climb at best for him to find a new coach, not because of where he worked but who he was. Fulmer didn't have to do a thing but stand aside and watch currie hang himself.

bingo

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer took advantage of Currie's weakness after the Schiano backlash. Fulmer's portliness is only eclipsed by his opinion of himself. Currie had Leach on the hook, but Fulmer thought Fulmer would be better for UT than Leach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fulmer is incredibly divisive. The fanbase will never be united again so long as he is in charge. It's not possible. There are at least five posters in this thread who literally worship Judas Brutus. They are Fulmer fans first and foremost, not Tennessee fans. Several other boards were originally created as landing spots for those driven off other sites by the Fulmer Felchers. It will probably get to the point on this board like it has on others before it when you will be banned for criticizing Jabba the Gut. You havnen't seen anything yet. There is going to be an all out Civil War in this fanbase. Fulmer is the new football coach at Tennessee. You'll see it before long. He could never keep his fat, greasy fingers off anything. I hope someday a book is written about how that scumbag ruined Tennessee football.

I’m starting to think you may not like this a Fulmer guy....amirite?

Reactions: 6 people
Fulmer took advantage of Currie's weakness after the Schiano backlash. Fulmer's portliness is only eclipsed by his opinion of himself. Currie had Leach on the hook, but Fulmer thought Fulmer would be better for UT than Leach.

one word -- BS

Currie didn't have shinola on the hook, Currie didn't know which way was up by the time he got fired, he was treading in waters he knew nothing about except what Jimmy boy was telling him ... and by the way he's managed the Browns, we all know how that story ends ...

Last edited:
one word -- BS

Currie didn't have shinola on the hook, Currie didn't know which way was up by the time he got fired, he was treading in waters he knew nothing about except what Jimmy boy was telling him ... and by the way he's managed the Browns, we all know how that story ends ...
Currie had both Brohm and Leak all but signed, but Fulmer so loved himself that he sacrificed the University of Tennessee.

When Tennessee starts next season 2 and 6, where will all the Philanderers be then? I'll tell you where...with their heads in toilets beginning to realize we could have hired Mike Leach if not for Clappy.

Last edited:
Currie had both Brohm and Leak all but signed, but Fulmer so loved himself that he sacrificed the University of Tennessee.

Dude, im starting to wonder if you dont have a serious love for fulmer, like romantically. The only time i have seen someone be so virulent towards someone like you are is the hyper-homophobes that secretly are huge flamers, they are just too afraid to admit it. You really should get some help.

Reactions: 3 people
Is he really the bad guy? It’s been reported that Fulmer was sabotaging everything Currie tried to do and I’m starting to think that was true.
. . .

Flame on but I think Fulmer is the enemy and the fan base was duped again. Only time will tell.

There was a lengthy article a week or so ago, I think by Hyams, describing the events of the coaching search which stated that Currie refused to keep Davenport (his boss, I think) or any other administrators informed of what he was doing, traveled in a plane provided by a Kansas State donor to interview Leach without approval from Davenport or any other senior administrator at UT, wouldn't even answer his phone when they tried to contact him. The author also stated that he had heard from multiple sources that Fulmer was not seeking to take over at that time, and had to be asked to take the job.

I frankly cannot understand why they would hire a protege (Currie) of Hamilton, who was arguably the worst AD ever at UT, and is still causing problems. Hamilton was probably premature in getting rid of Fulmer after one bad year, then hired Kiffin (bad move), Dooley (bad move), baseball coach (I think his name was Raleigh - bad move) and Pearl, the only coach he hired who would have winning teams but lied to NCAA. I think he also hired the former track coach, but not sure of that one. Can't imagine why they thought one of his subordinates would be good, just didn't do their homework.

Last edited:
Dude, im starting to wonder if you dont have a serious love for fulmer, like romantically. The only time i have seen someone be so virulent towards someone like you are is the hyper-homophobes that secretly are huge flamers, they are just too afraid to admit it. You really should get some help.
Thank you for this prime example of Fulmer Felching. This is exactly what Foolmers do. If you criticize their fat idol, they accuse you of things like being a homosexual. Fulmer sabotaged the coaching search. It's a fact. He didn't want Mike Leach. Fulmer wanted a puppet he could control. No one controls Mike Leach. Fulmer was done if Leach came to UT. Done.

Thank you for this prime example of Fulmer Felching. This is exactly what Foolmers do. If you criticize their fat idol, they accuse you of things like being a homosexual. Fulmer sabotaged the coaching search. It's a fact. He didn't want Mike Leach. Fulmer wanted a puppet he could control. No one controls Mike Leach. Fulmer was done if Leach came to UT. Done.
Why dont you ask the boosters at UGA if pruitt is a puppet? He is entirely the reason they have an indoor practice facility because he stood up to the cheap a$$ boosters and fought for his players to have the best facilities. Nothing about pruitts past shows him as a yes man so please explain that. And really you want to talk about attacking people personally? You cant even spell fulmers name correctly because of your infatuation with him, this conversation and you are truly pathetic.

Also i believe you need to reassess the difference between unsubstantiated rumors and facts. That will probably take you a long way in civil discourse.

Last edited:
Is he really the bad guy? It’s been reported that Fulmer was sabotaging everything Currie tried to do and I’m starting to think that was true.

Is it possible that Fulmer wanted to hire Schiano (it was said Peyton was supportive of this as well) and Currie made sure that didn’t happen to try and save his job and please the fan base?

Currie then tried to hire Brohm and Leach (both of which the fan base would have approved of), and Fulmer torpedoed then because “he wanted a defensive guy.”

The UTAD then fires Currie and uses him as a scapegoat for their ineptitude, and let Fulmer Hire his defensive guy under the guise of “having a UT blooded leader looking out for our best interests.”

Seems to me that Currie went rogue and was trying to make a good hire and everyone in the admin opposed. For the record I would have taken Leach or Brohm over Pruitt. Both are proven head coaches and they would have torched the SEC EAST with elite offenses.

Flame on but I think Fulmer is the enemy and the fan base was duped again. Only time will tell.

I'm curious how the Op knows with seemingly 100% certainty that Fulmer was diabolically sabotaging Currie behind the scenes. From what I've read, Fulmer wasn't even involved in the coaching search in any meaningful way until after Currie fubared the Brohm negotiations.

Currie was either in way over his head or didn't have the ability to blunt the wishes of Haslam. Either way, he didn't get the job done. Fulmer loves this university and secured Pruitt, as good an option as we could have hoped for under the circumstances.

Now let's just stop with the conspiracy theories and support this team and it's new leadership.

FleeceItOut, HairlessLamb, NakedSheep. Whatever moniker fits, I have a suggestion.

We got a replacement coach for one Butch Jones - rejoice! The Tennessee Terror that was our coach search is over and done with. Rejoice! We got a coach that, yes, some of us wish was someone else. But the ordeal is over, and we likely could have done worst. The specter of mass player flights, lost of any and all quality recruits is behind us. Please leave it back there and be glad it's so far in the rearview mirror, we can safely ignore the "things may be closer than they appear" warning. Or in the words of a beautiful but frigid maiden: Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door.

Has anyone noticed that D4H hasn't posted on this thread. Gives me pause to consider that he has possibly changed his name to the the OPs title. :ermm:

Still waiting on your evidence. Stating “it’s a fact” is not evidence, it’s an opinion.

I guess Fleece got what he wanted for Christmas. Stupid is, stupid says. I guess Darth Fulmer gave Currie a list of names to go after, engineering the fan reaction by controlling Tony Basilio with Jedi mind tricks and called the state capital to garner support. Currie is an arrogant idiot who thought he would do as he pleased without an accountability.

Is it possible that Fulmer wanted to hire Schiano (it was said Peyton was supportive of this as well) and Currie made sure that didn’t happen to try and save his job and please the fan base?

Currie then tried to hire Brohm and Leach (both of which the fan base would have approved of), and Fulmer torpedoed then because “he wanted a defensive guy.”

The UTAD then fires Currie and uses him as a scapegoat for their ineptitude, and let Fulmer Hire his defensive guy under the guise of “having a UT blooded leader looking out for our best interests.”

Seems to me that Currie went rogue and was trying to make a good hire and everyone in the admin opposed. For the record I would have taken Leach or Brohm over Pruitt. Both are proven head coaches and they would have torched the SEC EAST with elite offenses.

This ranks right up the with one of the dumbest posts I have ever read in all the years I have been a member at VN.

Who signed the MOA for Schiano? I tell you this...It wasn't Fulmer... And then you say Currie didn't let it happen...

I'm curious how the Op knows with seemingly 100% certainty that Fulmer was diabolically sabotaging Currie behind the scenes. From what I've read, Fulmer wasn't even involved in the coaching search in any meaningful way until after Currie fubared the Brohm negotiations.

Currie was either in way over his head or didn't have the ability to blunt the wishes of Haslam. Either way, he didn't get the job done. Fulmer loves this university and secured Pruitt, as good an option as we could have hoped for under the circumstances.

Now let's just stop with the conspiracy theories and support this team and it's new leadership.

I never said I was 100% certain.

VN Store

Back