Jalin Hyatt - WTH?

Stats and awards reinforce my stance. Hyatt is just as good of a route runner as any of those. Hyatt can beat man coverage from NFL DBs.

And NFL GM don't normally seal their fate drafting talented receivers who had one unbelievable season in the first round.

He’s the best receiver in UT history in my opinion. I still can’t wrap my mind around what he did to the Bama scum

I wouldn't say that. Wouldn't have him in the Vols top 5 all time. Price, Pickens, Gault, Morgan,Nash, Kent and Stallworth. Those are just off the top of my head. Hyatt had 1 great season. I love him and will be pulling for him to do well in the NFL, but he's not even top 5-7 in Vols History! And yes, I will forever remember the beat down he put on Bammers Secondary.

Last edited:
I made a similar argument regarding Hooker earlier in the the year and got roasted. The vast majority of his completions were to guys running wide open, especially the long balls. Against UGA where guys were open but the windows much tighter he was just bad.

I disagree with this. Yes he did have some wide open guys but take the final drive against Ala for instance. Keyton and Bru were both blanketed and he still fit both passes in. I would say maybe 25% of his completions were to wide open guys.

I thought Hyatt would go sooner but I looked at the NFL scouts reports on him. He had some negatives on him by the scouts. They rated him a boom or bust guy.
Hyatt might have been better to work on his negative aspects another year at UT.

Reactions: Flovol
He's a very good receiver but to call him the best in UT history shows a strong recency bias.
Willy Gault, Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, Anthony Miller, Anthony Hancock, Stanley Morgan, just to name a few from memory. were better.
Damn Eastern....that's the Mt RUSHMORE you just listed !!!

Reactions: EasternVol
By NFL standards, he is tiny
So was Devonta Smith and DeSean Jackson.
However, the difference is that those 2 guys showed outstanding YAC ability. Including in the return game.

However the whole NFL has dropped the ball on Hyatt. They have the "will mushchamp" syndrome.
Even if he was just a "one trick poney" it's a very good trick that opens up the entire offense. But he's not just a one trick poney.

This is why I'm telling you all not to 100 percent trust coaches. If they were right all the time, then no one would EVER get fired.

Read an article today that said he could slip because of our system. It seems the fluid nature of the receivers options lead to rounded patterns that are run to open rather than the more structured options in the pros.

Sounds like BS to me but he has gone from possible first round to undrafted after 2.

Anybody know the NCAA rules? If Hyatt does not get drafted can he get another year at UT since he would be a senior this year.

Reactions: 508mikey
So was Devonta Smith and DeSean Jackson.
However, the difference is that those 2 guys showed outstanding YAC ability. Including in the return game.

However the whole NFL has dropped the ball on Hyatt. They have the "will mushchamp" syndrome.
Even if he was just a "one trick poney" it's a very good trick that opens up the entire offense. But he's not just a one trick poney.

This is why I'm telling you all not to 100 percent trust coaches. If they were right all the time, then no one would EVER get fired.

His 40 times also hurt him.

But, I do think he is a gamer and will be a solid player for someone.

Reactions: AllVol11717
He’s the best receiver in UT history in my opinion. I still can’t wrap my mind around what he did to the Bama scum

Oof, I can't get behind this take at all. He had 1 flashy season, outside of last year's stats he was pedestrian.

I wish he would have come back, put on more muscle, and proven himself.

Reactions: ursaminotaur
His 40 times also hurt him.

But, I do think he is a gamer and will be a solid player for someone.
They’ll use his 40 time as an excuse that he got open deep based on scheme more than ability.

If he keeps his hot streak going though he’ll earn a fat second contract with whatever team he wants. So at least he gets to bet on himself.

VN Store

Back