Jalin Hyatt - WTH?

I made a similar argument regarding Hooker earlier in the the year and got roasted. The vast majority of his completions were to guys running wide open, especially the long balls. Against UGA where guys were open but the windows much tighter he was just bad.

Lol. Using one game huh. How did Hooker look against Bama and LSU?

True. But it seems like people think NFL franchises can’t be wrong about their evals. They are wrong all the time.
For the purpose of this discussion…Hyatt isn’t a first round pick. Like those other names, it’s all out in front of him AFTER he lands on a roster. I place NFL franchises in the same category as star service geeks. They use the info available but can’t know everything about what’s in a guy.

True. But it seems like people think NFL franchises can’t be wrong about their evals. They are wrong all the time.

I haven't seen anyone claim teams can't be wrong.

At the same time, it shouldn't be considered some big shocker that Hyatt didn't go first round. And it's certainly not "disrespectful" as you claim.

He’s the best receiver in UT history in my opinion. I still can’t wrap my mind around what he did to the Bama scum
He's a very good receiver but to call him the best in UT history shows a strong recency bias.
Willy Gault, Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, Anthony Miller, Anthony Hancock, Stanley Morgan, just to name a few from memory. were better.

The thing I remember about JH that I thought was a red flag was how he responded to physical play. GA got physical with him and he commented on it and it affected his play even into the next game. In the NFL that is something he is going to experience every game. To be fair the entire UT team was affected by GA smacking them around. I was not sold on Levis as a 1st rounder either, but Richardson as a top 4 pick shocked me. IMO it takes an inept organization to hold Peyton Manning to only 1 Super Bowl win.

Cooper Krupp- 4.62
Michael Thomas- 4.57
Keenan Allen- 4.71
Devante Adams- 4.4
Stefan Diggs- 4.46
AJ Brown- 4.49

Jalin Hyatt - 4.4
Cooper Kupp- 6'2" 208
Michael Thomas 6'3 212
Keenan Allen 6'2" 211
Devante Adams 6'1" 215
Stefan Diggs 6' 190
AJ Brown 6'1" 226

Jalin Hyatt 6' 185

He does not have prototypical NFL size. Without sub 4.4 speed, he gets points deducted. Use it as a slight, get your weight up and go prove them wrong. He'll get his shot.

Cooper Kupp- 6'2" 208
Michael Thomas 6'3 212
Keenan Allen 6'2" 211
Devante Adams 6'1" 215
Stefan Diggs 6' 190
AJ Brown 6'1" 226

Jalin Hyatt 6' 185

He does not have prototypical NFL size. Without sub 4.4 speed, he gets points deducted. Use it as a slight, get your weight up and go prove them wrong. He'll get his shot.
The Flowers kid drafted by the Giants in first round was similar in height and weight as Hyatt

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
I think you might have a little too much orange tint in your shades, or haven’t been following this for too long - these guys get paid big money to evaluate every possible everything about these guys - it’s literally their jobs- and they have very sophisticated scouting and analytics departments helping them - you see how many people are in each team’s war room? Lotta people (300 plus professional deemed rockstar NFL analysts) see four wrs ahead of Hyatt- it’s no slight on him- but it’s very understandable.
I agree. This IS NOT about disrespect or any other metric we would use to judge. The NFL scouting as you said is extremely complex and fandom has zero to do with any of it. As a VFL of course I hope they go as high as possible but being offended by all this is simply misplaced angst IMO.

Not shocking IMO. I always saw him as a possible 1st rounder, but not a lock. If he doesn't go in the 2nd, I'll be shocked.

That’s a joke. The best WR in the nation is being disrespected. Hyatt is better than anyone besides maybe Njigba.
Hyatt is one dimensional in that he’s basically a speed receiver and he didn’t run as fast as people thought. His ability after the catch is average at best. He doesn’t make people miss. I would take him late 2nd or Leary 3rd.

Hyatt doesn't even project to be the best NFL WR on his own team. That's Cedric Tillman. Both should go in the mid-2nd to mid-3rd rounds.

Tillman could be good in the NFL as a possession receiver if he has enough quicks/speed to get some separation and can be another J. Jennings. Jennings is a possession receiver similar to Tillman--decent but not great speed, just resigned with the 49ers, but only on a one-year deal. The 49ers clearly like his toughness, his good hands, his strong blocking--it's also clear that the team doesn't view him as indispensable.

Our big offensive problem against Georgia is that our receivers could not get any separation. They locked us down.

I don't think anyone was calling Hyatt slow, just saying he needed to be 4.3 or better to be considered for a 1st round draft pick because of some of the skills he is lacking. Tillman is honestly the better pick to take in the draft than Hyatt. I wish Hyatt nothing but the best, and loved every second of what he contributed to our season, but he does have deficiencies in his game. Hyatt has an extremely difficult time getting off man to man press coverage, this is actually probably his biggest downside the scouts and GMs are looking at. The reason he needed a 4.3 or better is because he wont just blaze past NFL corners at his speed. I hope he gets in there and works his butt off to get better at the rest of his craft, but he's just not currently there yet.

There are several people in this thread that are in fact calling him slow

I love Hyatt and all but you have to take your orange shaded glasses off and look at this from a NFL gm perspective. Hes fast but he usually goes down on first contact, he doesnt make many open field moves to extend plays, he needs to add a little size to his frame, and he has a tendency to drop some easy underneath passes. Great player and Im thankful for all he did but in reality he's gonna struggle in the NFL to run passed people
I totally agree with your assessment I love the guy and want him to be a hof but if you watch his film he is just wide open (which is due to the system) he cannot make anyone miss in the open field and I’m still not sold on how good his hands are.

People are acting like day 2 guys aren’t starters.

They’re starters.
Day 3 guys and undrafted free agents are starters. The NFL draft is just a media driven event to entertain fans and keep the NFL name out there in the off-season. Lot of the guys drafted last night in the first round will be playing for a different team or out of the league after a few years of not living up to the hype.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
He's a very good receiver but to call him the best in UT history shows a strong recency bias.
Willy Gault, Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, Anthony Miller, Anthony Hancock, Stanley Morgan, just to name a few from memory. were better.
Of course when we start listing people we leave some out but no legitimate list would be complete without Larry Seivers. Unbelievable hands and ability to get open.

The measurables work against Hyatt....he is extremely small. And, he ran poor times at the combine.

Small and slow knock you out of first round.

With that said, someone today will get him and have a very good player added to their WR corps.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Lol. Most of this is demonstrably false. He has broken tackles. He can run routes. He is a complete WR. One dimensional WRs don’t win the Biletnikoff award. Just stop it. Hyatt is being disrespected because he torches DBs and gets open. I remember another WR that did the same thing. I am not saying Hyatt is anywhere as good as he was but Randy Moss. All Moss did was run straight deep routes. I realize Hyatt isn’t as fast or tall. But this notion that he can’t run routes is ridiculous.

You are doing the same thing many are. Holding the system against him.
Find me Hyatt breaking 4 tackles and I will leave VolNation for a year.

VN Store

Back