Jalin Hyatt - WTH?

Don't know if you've been corrected on this or not, Hyatt was #3 in the nation in Y.A.C. That's far far far more than "average at best."
He’s usually wide open and behind people. Not sure that will happen in the League. He doesn’t make much happen with short throws.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Agree, but he would have been a better RB than QB. In fact, he was one of the worst QBs ever drafted.
He was a perfect fit for a college QB of that time. But he was never going to be successful in the pros. I've never coached a day in my life but even I could see his glaring delivery and mechanics problems. If someone like David Cutcliffe could have worked with him when he was 12-13 he might could have corrected some of his problems.

I’m in my late 20’s. Been watching every game since like 2003, so I understand I don’t have the depth of recollection that some of y’all do. But still I’ve never seen anyone at anywhere do what he did to a Saban defense
That’s because it doesn’t happen against a Saban defense. Some of it was completely Hyatt, some were some busted coverage as well

And how many QBs in NFL history have failed to achieve even that? Wouldn’t they be WORSE?
Drafting QBs by the NFL has recently been a crap shoot. There seems to be more mistakes make by NFL teams than successful picks. They seem to draft measurable‘s rather than demonstrated talent. I , for sure, would not want to make a living drafting NFL players.

Drafting QBs by the NFL has recently been a crap shoot. There seems to be more mistakes make by NFL teams than successful picks. They seem to draft measurable‘s rather than demonstrated talent. I , for sure, would not want to make a living drafting NFL players.
Not stumping for Tebow, btw.

The arguing in here is hilarious. How can we be so far off on what we believe about someone?

One thing I can absolutely tell you... Jalin Hyatt is not the (at least type of) burner Tyreek Hill and Desean Jackson are.

The ones in here high on Hyatt keep saying "Well so and so is small." Everyone you're listing who is small is someone who is quick AND fast. Hyatt is quick but he's not elite quick. The small guys you're naming are quick side to side so they can avoid big hits, they can get off the line, they can shake someone. We didn't see him on punt returns for a reason. Side to side, he isn't elite. Straight, yes, he's great. But to be someone who isn't elite side to side but great going straight, generally those guys are 6 foot 3 and can Moss people. Jalin didn't really Moss people.

Blowing my mind so many in here can't see the differences.

And no, you don't have to be an NFL scout to see the difference. I've seen people in here compare him to Tyreek Hill and I die laughing. Not even close...but he's good. I love Jalin. But the 4 guys who went ahead of him are better NFL prospects...as is Tillman.

Reactions: Otis1105
Wait and see where Hooker goes...too many NFL pundits think it's "the system" and not the talent at Tennessee right now

FWIW - I hope it puts a giant chip on their shoulders and they both have HOF level careers
I do not think I could have said it better myself.

How is Jain Hyatt not in the first 3 picks at wide receiver? Unbelievable.
How is it unbelievable? He is very limited based on his tape. He runs fast and has good hands. thats also true of everyone drafted ahead of him except they actually have tape of them running routes, beating people in space, returning kicks etc. Who do you think he shoulda been drafted before?

Zay Flowers who put up numbers for 4 years and also has special teams stats. Shorter but bigger than Hyatt.. ran a 4.42

Jordan Addison who put up 3 years of numbers at 2 P5 schools. He is almost same measurements as Hyatt exactly but looks thicker. Same story as above he has played special teams and has tape of him running routes. His 2021 numbers are bascially a mirror of Hyatts 2022 numbers 4.49 at combine

Quentin Johnson might seem like the Victim here but he has one trait that these other guys and Hyatt lacks (size) this is a rather smurfy class of WR's. He ran a 4.49 at his proday no special teams stats but hes 6'4 215

Jaxson Smith-Njigba- Had a similar story to Cedric Tillman missing most of this season ran a 4.48 at pro day. Has similar stats overall to Hyatt but is 6'1 200 also the 2 WR's (Wilson and Olave picked 10 and 11) drafted last year from OSU that both caught over 1000 yards as rookies have both said hes better than them.

Then we have Cedric Tillman who I personally think is a better NFL prospect than Hyatt.

I think he is the 5th or 6th best WR in this draft

The person that got boned last night was Hooker.

RG3 was talking about that yesterday, said everyone in college is a system guy and what you do in the NFL will be different.
weird he would have such an opinion. But once his athleticism was kinda taken away by injury and he needed to be able to process and deliver balls he became a career backup.

Day 3 guys and undrafted free agents are starters. The NFL draft is just a media driven event to entertain fans and keep the NFL name out there in the off-season. Lot of the guys drafted last night in the first round will be playing for a different team or out of the league after a few years of not living up to the hype.

What I mean is, you're expecting the guys you draft in the second and third rounds to start. Later round guys can compete for spots, and some earn it. But when GMs are looking for guys that are going to make immediate impacts every week, Day 2 guys are still that.

The first round is for the splash picks. The other days are where GMs earn their paychecks.

Last edited:
I love Hyatt and all but you have to take your orange shaded glasses off and look at this from a NFL gm perspective. Hes fast but he usually goes down on first contact, he doesnt make many open field moves to extend plays, he needs to add a little size to his frame, and he has a tendency to drop some easy underneath passes. Great player and Im thankful for all he did but in reality he's gonna struggle in the NFL to run passed people
Will you show us some video on those drop passes? I can't remember them.

I think you might have a little too much orange tint in your shades, or haven’t been following this for too long - these guys get paid big money to evaluate every possible everything about these guys - it’s literally their jobs- and they have very sophisticated scouting and analytics departments helping them - you see how many people are in each team’s war room? Lotta people (300 plus professional deemed rockstar NFL analysts) see four wrs ahead of Hyatt- it’s no slight on him- but it’s very understandable.
And they still get it wrong.

The arguing in here is hilarious. How can we be so far off on what we believe about someone?

One thing I can absolutely tell you... Jalin Hyatt is not the (at least type of) burner Tyreek Hill and Desean Jackson are.

The ones in here high on Hyatt keep saying "Well so and so is small." Everyone you're listing who is small is someone who is quick AND fast. Hyatt is quick but he's not elite quick. The small guys you're naming are quick side to side so they can avoid big hits, they can get off the line, they can shake someone. We didn't see him on punt returns for a reason. Side to side, he isn't elite. Straight, yes, he's great. But to be someone who isn't elite side to side but great going straight, generally those guys are 6 foot 3 and can Moss people. Jalin didn't really Moss people.

Blowing my mind so many in here can't see the differences.

And no, you don't have to be an NFL scout to see the difference. I've seen people in here compare him to Tyreek Hill and I die laughing. Not even close...but he's good. I love Jalin. But the 4 guys who went ahead of him are better NFL prospects...as is Tillman.

There's a video out there somewhere, I couldn't find it, of Hill when he was with the Chiefs taking a pass in the flat and then turning the burners on and just blowing the doors off everyone around him. I remember the first time I saw it I thought someone had sped it up but after watching it a few times I realized it was just him being him. I mean it almost looked like a cartoon. As a long time Chiefs fan, I hated to lose him. At the same time, I'd be thrilled to get Hyatt or Tillman. I think they'll both be very good players.

Reactions: Helton1
Lol. Using one game huh. How did Hooker look against Bama and LSU?
As I said, he looked fantastic throwing to WIDE OPEN guys of which there were many in both the games you referenced. UGA, not so much. Everything I said about him in the thread is coming to fruition. I said Hooker would be at best the 4th QB taken and not until late second or early third round. My last post in thread was “we shall see”, well we’re seeing.

weird he would have such an opinion. But once his athleticism was kinda taken away by injury and he needed to be able to process and deliver balls he became a career backup.
the power of hindsight is not to be taken lightly. He is talking from experience.

In the Bama game he kept burning the safety. It was talked about reguarly by the media talking heads that they couldnt believe Saban didnt make adjustments to where Hyatt wasnt matched up against a safety who couldnt cover him.
It wasnt just the safety for fks sake. He burnt the safety and the corner numerous times. Some of yall don't get the leverage they tried to use. Ga did the same thing except the corner did a better job.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVolette
Not gonna talk down a player while he's on our team, but gotta say, I was absolutely shocked by the Biletnikoff Award! I think awarding it to Hyatt based on his number of TD receptions, and maybe avg yardage per score was a convenient cop-out. As with the Heisman, those who vote are usually more concerned about having their vote questioned by friends than casting a vote for who they really think was the best. So they end up with more votes for the "safe" pick.

I, too, remember many times Hyatt dropped easy passes that were shorter. Maybe he just has better "basket" hands, but no way did I think he was the best receiver in college football last year. Tillman showed much better all around skills the season before.

As for the Alabama game, most if not all of those TDs came out of busted coverages, which is system, pace of play, and maybe some fresh wrinkles thrown in for that game that their backs/coaches never adjusted to.

Hyatt is a VFL and I hope he creates motivation out of this experience to keep developing and eventually prove that he had a higher ceiling than expected.

Just to be clear, you would like objective proof that experts at making NFL draft picks, like NFL scouts that have played and coached the game, watched film, understand their coaches offensive & defensive schemes and philosophy, conducted interviews w/the players, run psychological evals and background checks, etc. are better at picking draft picks than random guy on internet message board w/fake name like sjt18? That's the ask?
Yes. You made the claim that no internet guy is as good as those guys. You should provide a standard for proving it.

No thanks. I'm not sure I can give you objective proof that chocolate ice cream tastes better than dog $hit. In fact, I've never eaten dog $hit. But everyone who's not missing a few chromosomes knows that's the case and I have no desire to provide that evidence for you either. So continue to eat your figurative dog$hit if you'd like. Res Ipsa Loquitor.
Right. You made a claim and took shots at someone who simply said those guys are wrong a lot. Then when cornered... you try to start a personal argument rather than prove your point. I'm pretty sure I'm not the one confused about chocolate ice cream. That's you.

VN Store

Back