Helton shopping?

Helton hasn't had full control to do what he'd like, but a lot of that is the O-line. I doubt Helton is shopping himself around right now, as I think most knowledgeable people realize that.

Now it all makes sense. The offense has been held back this entire time. Man I can't believe i thought otherwise!

Judging Helton this early is my point. It’s not right. Wow if anyone thinks that’s ok.

What's wrong with judging a coach on his continuous performance each week?

Uhhhh. Again everyone read up on Helton. He was the oc @ Western Kentucky. Man I wish my fan base didn’t suck.

Yeah, Helton had the title of OC while at WKU, but it was widely known that Brohm called the offensive plays, not Helton.

Although the Hilltoppers have two coordinators who share the role, Brohm reportedly is WKU's play-caller.

Slow down on the suckitude there boss.

If you arent going to let them run their side, why hire them? Leadership 101 is to let you people do their jobs.

oh, i'd let them do their jobs. By calling the plays for my scheme/offense/defense. They would assist me in game planning all 3 phases. But the final decisions would be mine. buck stops with me type stuff.

Anyway, i'm guessing that Pruitt will eventually relinquish def play calling to Sherrer. That to me is a major role of an off or def coordinator. Calling the plays. But, make no mistake, it will be Pruitts defensive scheme/plays/game plan that sherrer will be calling

Maybe, or it could just be that we had a first time HC, hire an OC wit very little experience, and what experience he did have was under coaches with offensive mindsets, and experience at the OC/QB position.
kinda like sunseri and Dooley (not to discount the hc/ad experience he had at Latech, but you get the idea) just glad this is happening in year one, not year 4.

Finally a smart person! I used to love getting on this site and reading post. Not so much anymore. Some of the negative post from clueless fans is very disturbing. Read up on Tyson Helton. I believe he is legit. If this fan base is mean to him or his family before the 3rd season then I don’t know what to tell you. Grow up and get a clue for starters. If you feel this is the same old song for a coaching staff please exit the fan base at your earliest convenience. Snowflakes!

So after year 3 all bets are off?

Personally dont know if Helton is legit or not based on early returns so I guess that is being mean.

Don't think a game is worth "being mean" to a guys family ever. You keep doing you though.

So, what I've learned is that Agents talk and info from Basillio is to be taken with a grain of salt.

In other news, the sky is blue and water has been proven to be wet.

Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.
He gone

A couple of things are an indictment of Helton. According to Coach Doug Mathews' interview on 104.5 a couple of days ago...(1) Why isn't Chandler and JJ getting more touches? (2) Why aren't we throwing the ball down the field more? This offense has more talent than the defense, yet the D is playing better. Why? coaching? Helton is rookie play caller. Why Pruitt went with Helton, I do not know. So Cal recruiting? Or we just got stiff armed by the SEC office when we wanted to hire Freeze? Either way, I think its too early to tell. Lets do a post mortem on 11/25 and make a decision then.

Isn't this the go to story when a coach is about to fired? Never their fault, always some other reason that only they can see.

We need somebody to take over the offensive line and call plays both seem to be terrible this season.

So a life-long defensive guy like Pruitt hires an OC from a major school and then he somehow puts shackles on him? I don't think so.

Reactions: Pride85
Maybe if he would teach the 5 guys up front to block somebody, he might have a better chance to do whatever his own thing is.

Which would be easier if Will Friend wasn't having to completely undo the bad teaching of last year in order to show them the correct way. OC doesn't always teach the line, but he has someone that is supposed to be pretty good at turning around bad lines. Again, no magic pill or wand here, just hard work.

We need somebody to take over the offensive line and call plays both seem to be terrible this season.
No magic wand to wave and undo bad teaching. To early to say if it is bad play calling or bad execution.

No one can answer how much playcalling Helton did at USC. Now there’s the question of how much he’s doing here. Is Friend calling plays too or just Helton? It’s a weird situation and Basilio is one of the few not afraid to report it.
Unfortunately, Tony Basilio has also been criticized for throwing a lot of crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. blind squirrel and nuts ya know.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
His record, whether his fault or not, so far doesn't seem that attractive on his resume. If there's even a flickering candle at the end of the tunnel he needs to wait it out, hoping that matters improve.

It's true though. The #1 thing keeping Helton from running what he wants is the OL play. Until that gets fixed it really isn't going to matter.

You are right on point. His scheme needs some time for longer plays to develop. 2-3 seconds isn't quite cutting it yet. 5 games in a new scheme is not enough data to make a statistically valid evaluation.

I don't put much on these kind of stories. It's just an agent protecting his client. Helton and all the coaches knew they were coming into a mess. There are no quick fixes. I'm still concerned about the progress of the OL, but fixing lack of strength, size, and technique is not easy.

Sources in Orme Tn. Says Basillo is the one that leaked the news about Mrs. Ford.

What's wrong with judging a coach on his continuous performance each week?
Absolutely nothing, as long as it is based on some fraction of reality. Are we comparing his progress to last year's epically bad offense, or the 1998 NC team?

GorgeousWellmadeCockatoo-small.gif
He's making a big moulage out of it

Absolutely nothing, as long as it is based on some fraction of reality. Are we comparing his progress to last year's epically bad offense, or the 1998 NC team?

Depends on what side of the argument you are on. If you are reaasonable you compare it to recent history. If you just want to try prove the person you are replying to is dumb, you assume they are comparing it to the 98 team.
Thats how it works around here.

Was the 98 offense all that great anyway? Tee comp percentage was less than 60. No 1000 yard backs, I think henry came close. Ranked in the 30s in total offense, 70s in passing. Rushing was ranked pretty good, somewhere around 20. They were decent but.certainly not a showcase. Defense on the other hand....

Depends on what side of the argument you are on. If you are reaasonable you compare it to recent history. If you just want to try prove the person you are replying to is dumb, you assume they are comparing it to the 98 team.
Thats how it works around here.

Was the 98 offense all that great anyway? Tee comp percentage was less than 60. No 1000 yard backs, I think henry came close. Ranked in the 30s in total offense, 70s in passing. Rushing was ranked pretty good, somewhere around 20. They were decent but.certainly not a showcase. Defense on the other hand....

Very good points. We were extremely bad last year with a lot of the same players. It is highly unreasonable to feel this year's team would suddenly have the lights come on and be instantly great physically or mentally. All they have heard for a year is that they are a bunch of losers that lost more games than any other team in UT history. That is a lot of garbage to get out of their heads.

I like your take on the 98 team. My point of reference is the 1985 Sugarvols. That was fun being in New Orleans for four days on the athletic departments dime to watch that beat down. That team was not great offensively, but they could put up points when provoked.

Reactions: volfannbama

VN Store

Back