Helton shopping?

Finally a smart person! I used to love getting on this site and reading post. Not so much anymore. Some of the negative post from clueless fans is very disturbing. Read up on Tyson Helton. I believe he is legit. If this fan base is mean to him or his family before the 3rd season then I don’t know what to tell you. Grow up and get a clue for starters. If you feel this is the same old song for a coaching staff please exit the fan base at your earliest convenience. Snowflakes!

I agree. This is the self absorbed, immature, , I know more than the coaches crowd. If you can't do then criticize.

Reactions: klw2ut and Vol_0311
People make my mistakes. Even good leaders. But again... two wrongs don’t make a right.

And you’re simply wrong about not letting talent perform if you think that means turning a blind eye to imminent failure. I’ll let people do their jobs until they start hindering the teams success, then I address the issue. Allowing it to fester is like having an infection with no anti-biotics.

So your take is that T Helton had imminent failure in his future? That a DC turned HC suddenly knew more than the expert he hired?

I doubt that CJP is meddling. I'm not willing to say that about others on the hill.

Would you be surprised if this is the case? There are part of the fanbase that were celebrating when CPF was put in the seat of AD (fanbase did calm somewhat), and another part that thought he would meddle in the coaching. Which camp do you fall in?

Now or when he was hired?

When he was hired I thought it might be a good choice after the miserable failures by the string of pencil pushers that preceded him for the past 10-15 years.

However a few weeks ago I heard from someone I trust that CPF was sitting in on team meetings and if I understood correctly the meetings were game planning type stuff. For me the alarm bells started ringing and the red flags caught a stiff wind at that point.

Sooo, if ADPF does his job and let's the ones he hired do theirs he could be a good AD. However, if he stil wants to coach, the AD's office is no place for him and will only escalate the whirlwind of a shitstorm happening around the football program.

Just my IMO

Reactions: Type Orange+
Now or when he was hired?

When he was hired I thought it might be a good choice after the miserable failures by the string of pencil pushers that preceded him for the past 10-15 years.

However a few weeks ago I heard from someone I trust that CPF was sitting in on team meetings and if I understood correctly the meetings were game planning type stuff. For me the alarm bells started ringing and the red flags caught a stiff wind at that point.

Sooo, if ADPF does his job and let's the ones he hired do theirs he could be a good AD. However, if he stil wants to coach, the AD's office is no place for him and will only escalate the whirlwind of a shitstorm happening around the football program.

Just my IMO
I agree if his motives were and are to micromanage, never a good thing. If Pruitt fails, then he does also. This is still presumably a football school. Realistically, he will be judged by his hire in this department, more so than the idiots before him, because it’s his expertise. We, as fans are in the nail biting and foot tapping stage. It’s 50/50 at this point. I’m a optimistic as a person, bites me sometimes, but I will stay that course.

So your take is that T Helton had imminent failure in his future? That a DC turned HC suddenly knew more than the expert he hired?

I doubt that CJP is meddling. I'm not willing to say that about others on the hill.
If Pruitt took the reins from Helton or intervened in a way that showed a lack of trust, then yes I’d say Pruitt was convinced that Helton needed help. That help could come from Pruitt, but most likely would come from someone like Friend.

But make no mistake, I’m not convinced that any of that has happened. In listening to post game pressers and the JP show, it sounds like Pruitt is pleased with the play calls but the execution is poor. “We’ve got to do a better job coaching the players” is a common statement. I’ve never heard him say anything about the offense needing better play calls. A few times he’s admitted to putting the defense in a bad spot with the play call... but not one comment about offensive play calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VolTexas
If Pruitt took the reins from Helton or intervened in a way that showed a lack of trust, then yes I’d say Pruitt was convinced that Helton needed help. That help could come from Pruitt, but most likely would come from someone like Friend.

Friend shouldn't have the authority to decide what CTH cn or cannot do.

You're looking in the wrong direction (IMO) to find the meddling.

Friend shouldn't have the authority to decide what CTH cn or cannot do.

You're looking in the wrong direction (IMO) to find the meddling.
He doesn’t. That’s not what I meant. Pruitt wouldn’t take over the offense but he could take some responsibility from Helton and give it to Friend or another offensive coach. But see my edit above... I’m not convinced that any of this actually happened

would not be surprising. Helton not doing everything on his own. Friend and Pruitt have both been involved. classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen. Difficult to know who should take blame. Friend likely would be his replacement if he left..
When Pruitt was making his staff, I always thought that Friend was actually Pruitt's first choice as OC. But in this league, the OC or DC are first to get the axe and Friend and Pruitt knows it. So my guess is that they agreed to hire Helton but Pruitt and Friend gave him a certain blue print on how they wanted to run the offense. It's Helton's job to make it work. And if it doesn't work, then next year Pruitt will have some options. He can promote Friend to OC/o-line and move Weinke to QB. Or make BOTH of them co-coordinators.
The reality is Helton was always the ODD MAN OUT coming in. Honestly if this is the case, it makes perfect sense to get your agent to specifically start shopping you before you let the season end if you get the hint you'll be forced to step down.

I would think the DC turned HC has seen an offense or two and has an idea what a good one looks like. Ftr, I mean no more or no less than what I just said.

Are you suggesting Phil is meddling and is the problem with our offense?

would not be surprising. Helton not doing everything on his own. Friend and Pruitt have both been involved. classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen. Difficult to know who should take blame. Friend likely would be his replacement if he left..
Are you hearing chatter as well, Larry?

Helton exit’s Knoxville and Dooley returns for OC position

Mass suicide remains viable option in Ktown

Reactions: musolfmj
I just don't get the interest in Hurts.
I look at it very simply as : hurts would be a better second string qb than J.T or Will. I’ve heard the coaching staff wanted to get him to have a true dual threat even though that’s not coach TH’s MO. I’m sure they’d get him involved in a single wing package. JG is just not that type of qb.

Helton is probably shopping for a Offensive line and a QB if i had to guess. He's not going anywhere... Yet.

I look at it very simply as : hurts would be a better second string qb than J.T or Will. I’ve heard the coaching staff wanted to get him to have a true dual threat even though that’s not coach TH’s MO. I’m sure they’d get him involved in a single wing package. JG is just not that type of qb.

If he wants to be a backup, why wouldn't he stay at Alabama? If he transfers, he's going to go somewhere where he can start.

Reactions: jakez4ut

VN Store

Back