Helton shopping?

Maybe if he would teach the 5 guys up front to block somebody, he might have a better chance to do whatever his own thing is.
These guys are 20+ years old for the most part. How the hell can he teach them anything at this point in their lives. (that is if they don't want to or can't learn, which seem to be the case for most of them)

I gotta say, if im the head coach my offensive coord will be running my offense and doing things my way. If I get fired, it's gonna be totally on me and not because I let one of coordinators do their own thing.

Now, if I know I have no clue about offense, yeah, I'm gonna hire the best off coordinator I can find a let him do his thing until I gain the knowledge of how to run an offense. This is just good wisdom.

By the way, I would install a power run game mixed with a little spd and load option, with pa being my main pass offense. Defensively, I'd be 43 base with predominantly zone coverage. A lot of bend but don't break, trying to force fgs and turnovers. Stout against the run, but gonna give up plenty of pass yardage.
"POWER RUN GAME" what the hel- you gonna run it with!!!

Some random caller on one of the vol talk radio shows said that Pruitt could end up being Muschamp 2.0. Didn't think much of it until these rumors. All of this is just message board fodder but I would hate for that to happen.

"POWER RUN GAME" what the hel- you gonna run it with!!!

Hahahaha...yeah, you can't have snowflakes blocking or snowflakes at RB. Not saying that is what we have at UT either. I'm not sure if it's a talent issue, or coaching issue, or lack of time with new scheme issue, with our power run game. Maybe a combination of all three

Reactions: savannahfan
No lie. I'm mordantly amused that some here obviously think that Hurts couldn't beat out JG for the starting job here.

I would think that 75% of the backup QBs in the top 20 programs in the country would have a very good chance of beating out JG. That's not really saying a whole lot.

I would think that 75% of the backup QBs in the top 20 programs in the country would have a very good chance of beating out JG. That's not really saying a whole lot.

Hurts would be a major upgrade. Although 75% really? UGA and AL are the only two I can think of.

I don't know if Helton is shopping or not, but by what I have seen so far, I don't think he can open anything up. The QB has to have a little time to go through his targets and it just hasn't been there. I think there has been improvement but I think next year is when we will start to see this staffs worth. Then by year 3 maybe we can start worrying about who can beat us and not who we can beat. I hope at least.

Reactions: chuckb1448
I would try to exploit the size advantage the WRs have over most DBs. A lot of jailbreak screens, pick plays quick throws with others blocking.

Some random caller on one of the vol talk radio shows said that Pruitt could end up being Muschamp 2.0. Didn't think much of it until these rumors. All of this is just message board fodder but I would hate for that to happen.

It took a random caller for you to realize Saban’s coaching tree is less than stellar?

Stresses the importance of a great OC hire. Maybe Helton is the guy but when it’s 3rd and 6 and you call a play for a 2 yard pass c’mon man.

I would think the DC turned HC has seen an offense or two and has an idea what a good one looks like. Ftr, I mean no more or no less than what I just said.

Are you suggesting Phil is meddling and is the problem with our offense?

I am suggesting that Phil is meddling. Not sure if he is the problem with regard to on field results but may be the problem with CTH unrest, should the shopping story be true.

IMO Phil was like a bunch of folks when he was coaching; give him more talent than the team he was playing and he would have success. Even or less talent; not all that successful. I'm not saying he can't or couldnt run an offense but if I was in CTH's shoes i wouldn't have been impressed enough with his success as an OC to put up with him looking over my shoulder or making suggestions that arent really suggestions but directives.

But of course that's just me...

Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.
One can hope he leaves.

I don't know if Helton is shopping or not, but by what I have seen so far, I don't think he can open anything up. The QB has to have a little time to go through his targets and it just hasn't been there. I think there has been improvement but I think next year is when we will start to see this staffs worth. Then by year 3 maybe we can start worrying about who can beat us and not who we can beat. I hope at least.
I agree with this but lets adjust or compensate for the OL the best we can this year with quicker plays. I've been saying this since game 1 and I think the play calling was alot better against UGA.

Whatever is going on with the offensive gameplanning/playcalling is definitely wonky one way or another.

I love UT and can’t get enough of it, so yes I happily read Basilio’s blog everyday along with every other possible source of info about my team. Can’t get enough.

The way I read that report, I took it to mean that Trace is spreading the word that Helton isn’t getting a fair shake here so that others don’t judge him on this year’s performance. I didn’t take it to mean that he was actually shopping or another job right now.

Is there any chance Jalen Hurts ends up at Tennessee? We will likely be losing McBride and JTS would be second string I guess. Would Hurts beat out JG with good offensive line play?

Losing McBride LOL. As impactful as that time I lost my appendix.

People taking Basillo seriously need to rethink that. He is wrong way way way more than he is ever right. He is one of the biggest rumor starters and they rarely have merit. Of course he could be right, but folks buying it 100% are being pretty naïve. GBO!!!!

VN Store

Back