Helton shopping?

So....I'm an OC and I realize that I'm in over my head, and I can't hang, and my HC is angry, and the fanbase is angry...

yeah, i'd probably claim it wasn't my fault too.

But I actually don't blame Helton for this. I don't think we're doing that badly offensively. We're definitely more efficient, and have increased our rushing yardage with practically the same OL last year that couldn't run on anyone, except for the talent of the NFL caliber back.

And I also don't believe a word Basilio says. I've been keeping up with this board faaarrrrr too long. He may occasionally have a source, and may occasionally be right about something, but he makes baseless claims that nobody can really substantiate or that may or may not stick, and if they do, well, he's a "Genius," and if not, then he can just claim his source was wrong or whatever.

Just not going to take Basilio's word when the coaches probably don't even know who he is.

Reactions: Alto1 and bpalmer28
Like most things in life there is probably some truth to this statement and then some gaps filled with "entertainment" to be polite. Pruitt probably rolls out philosophical game approach. Let's run more to develop our players or protect the defense from too much time on the field. He outlines how he wants the game to go and that by definition limits the coordinators. He might be heavy handed in that approach verses other coaches. Hard to say because we are not in that room for that discussion.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Funny how when bailuo was hammering Butch Jones in the latter years,.he was just short of a radio God in knoxville, and now he its a dummy thats never right.

Just an observation, ive never been a basilio guy and havent listened to him in years. His constant reapeating dumb nicknames and such annoys the crap out of.me, kinda like Shaun Hannity.
tenor.gif

Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.

CPF meddling?

This is why Leach wasnt hired IMO.

I have no sources and have zero idea if CPF is what Basilio's sources are talking about but wouldnt be surprised if this we re e the case.

If he's actually shopping after 5 games into his first season as an OC, then he's either too thin-skinned for the job, isn't capable for rebuilding an offense as broken as ours, or both.

Either way, I'm not sure how his agent would spin what he's done here so far as an accomplishment, or a positive towards his coaching ability at the moment.
Or he simply is continually over ridden by his HC and/or AD.

If you arent going to let them run their side, why hire them? Leadership 101 is to let you people do their jobs.
Thats what you call POOR leadership or simply no leadership at all. If your deck hand is drilling a hole in the hull, you wouldn’t let him sink the ship. Maybe it was a bad hire, but two wrongs don’t make a right. And maybe none of this is true and the agent is just trying to cover Helton’s arse.

Thats what you call POOR leadership or simply no leadership at all. If your deck hand is drilling a hole in the hull, you wouldn’t let him sink the ship. Maybe it was a bad hire, but two wrongs don’t make a right. And maybe none of this is true and the agent is just trying to cover Helton’s arse.

if you hired a deck hand that was stupid enough to sink the ship...that's on you.

Any boss who thinks not allowing his talent to perform wont be successful. Unless he is managing at McDonalds..

if you hired a deck hand that was stupid enough to sink the ship...that's on you.

Any boss who thinks not allowing his talent to perform wont be successful. Unless he is managing at McDonalds..
People make my mistakes. Even good leaders. But again... two wrongs don’t make a right.

And you’re simply wrong about not letting talent perform if you think that means turning a blind eye to imminent failure. I’ll let people do their jobs until they start hindering the teams success, then I address the issue. Allowing it to fester is like having an infection with no anti-biotics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vol_0311 and Alto1
So after year 3 all bets are off?

Personally dont know if Helton is legit or not based on early returns so I guess that is being mean.

Don't think a game is worth "being mean" to a guys family ever. You keep doing you though.
Agree. Bad wording on my part.

This board is so gullible, I am sure teams are really interested in the enormous talent that is Tyson Helton. The offenses at USC were inconsistent at best with a lot of talent and inept at UT with no talent. So he can't coach with talent and can't coach without talent. He is definitely a hot commodity. I have no doubt he is "shopping" around and that may be because he realizes he is going to be unemployed. The same excuses were rampant under Jones as well when it came to his coordinators. The fact is they weren't good coordinators and from what I have seen under Helton he isn't either. His play calling is atrocious

1538703983958.gif

CPF meddling?

This is why Leach wasnt hired IMO.

I have no sources and have zero idea if CPF is what Basilio's sources are talking about but wouldnt be surprised if this we re e the case.
Would you be surprised if this is the case? There are part of the fanbase that were celebrating when CPF was put in the seat of AD (fanbase did calm somewhat), and another part that thought he would meddle in the coaching. Which camp do you fall in?

It is believable that Helton wants to open up the O and throw more. It is likely that with the way things are going he wants to keep his options as open as possible. It is much less likely he's fired or tries to leave after one rebuilding season.

Whatever the cause, the offensive play calling needs to improve. Finally started mixing it up on 1st and 2nd downs in the second half of last game. Hopefully that will be a new trend.

Sounds like Armstrong sees his client circling the drain and is doing his best to minimize the damage. ..... if any of this is yrue

Reactions: bpalmer28
Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.

would not be surprising. Helton not doing everything on his own. Friend and Pruitt have both been involved. classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen. Difficult to know who should take blame. Friend likely would be his replacement if he left..

VN Store

Back