Helton shopping?

Is there any chance Jalen Hurts ends up at Tennessee? We will likely be losing McBride and JTS would be second string I guess. Would Hurts beat out JG with good offensive line play?

No one can answer how much playcalling Helton did at USC. Now there’s the question of how much he’s doing here. Is Friend calling plays too or just Helton? It’s a weird situation and Basilio is one of the few not afraid to report it.
And Why do they not let JG talk to the media?

Reactions: MustafaRasta
It's true though. The #1 thing keeping Helton from running what he wants is the OL play. Until that gets fixed it really isn't going to matter.
i don't disagree, the OL is the issue.

but i don't know it's because "he isn't teaching them how to block".

Reactions: illvol
that' wasn't exactly ground breaking informaiton. the haslams had been in control for a very long time, and it was pretty common knowledge who pulled the strings. Basillo didn't come across that info and enlighten everyone about what affect they've had on the program.

unless you've never listen to anyone else or never read anything about the subject, and Tony B is the only way you get info on the program.
Did this guy not pick you in dodge ball or something?

Did this guy not pick you in dodge ball or something?
no, i just think he's an annoying shock jock that brings nothing to the table. he plays to the lowest common deonminator, which apparently works really well.

that and i really just don't like the sound of his voice. it's nails on calkboard to me, so it really wouldn't matter if i liked his content or not....i just can't listen to him.

In my opinion, TN is trying to reestablish it's identity as a power running game type team. They know they have to run the ball to be successful even if it means growing pains in the beginning. Eventually it will pay off. Maybe not this year but in the future.

no, i just think he's an annoying shock jock that brings nothing to the table. he plays to the lowest common deonminator, which apparently works really well.

that and i really just don't like the sound of his voice. it's nails on calkboard to me, so it really wouldn't matter if i liked his content or not....i just can't listen to him.
Fair enough

Let's look at it like this.. If Helton is shopping around.. It doesn't send a good signal that 5 games in the season a couch isn't happy and looking elsewhere already.. That stuff should wait until the season ends.. If I was a coach needing a OC, I would question him putting out feelers 5 games into his first season calling plays.. So sound like BS at this point..

Reactions: VolsnRavens
The players arent very good thanks to the former administration. You cant really judge these guys too hard in yr 1 when the players are mostly trash. Let them have another year to get their schemes in place and get some of their own recruits in who havent been poisoned by Butch.

Also, Basillo is trash. He would have "sources" telling him the sky was blue. Everything else he says is made up speculation that he throws out there hoping that it might be true.

This is also true for all the other knoxville sports talk "personalities".

People who are down on Helton need to remember that he, like Coach Pruitt, is having to "coach up" and "work with" what he inherited from the ashes of Jones' dumpster fire. It will take whoever the OC and OL coach is a couple of years of great recruiting, conditioning, player development, and at least "decent" on-field coaching before we see the improvement we all hope to see in our offense. Helton may not be a "GREAT" OC, but his work at USC shows that he certainly has the potential to be a really good one if given the time and support needed. That said... GO VOLS ! ! !

word

Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.
There's a reason you can't spell Basilio without BS.

If I was his agent I'd be throwing out chaff countermeasures, too. If he's confronted on it he'll just spin it.

If he's actually shopping after 5 games into his first season as an OC, then he's either too thin-skinned for the job, isn't capable for rebuilding an offense as broken as ours, or both.

Either way, I'm not sure how his agent would spin what he's done here so far as an accomplishment, or a positive towards his coaching ability at the moment.

VN Store

Back