Helton shopping?

I believe it..This offense is trash and i watched USC play and they didn't look like this..Something is going on..

If he's actually shopping after 5 games into his first season as an OC, then he's either too thin-skinned for the job, isn't capable for rebuilding an offense as broken as ours, or both.

Either way, I'm not sure how his agent would spin what he's done here so far as an accomplishment, or a positive towards his coaching ability at the moment.
I was wondering: "who's going to give this guy a fair shot if he is shopping around after only 5 games?"

Also a bit disappointed that we're on page 3 and the pic of Butch shopping in the bama bookstore hasn't been posted yet.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Isn't Basilio the same guy who said Fulmer's first two contacts were Patterson & Fuente for the HC job? Dead wrong. To be honest this just sounds like starting drama for the sake of it.

This is year ONE, FIVE GAMES into the Pruitt regime & Helton doesnt even have an average line or the QB he wants to run his system. Not angry with OP, but these impatient fans who are expecting this new staff to be gods 5 games into the toughest schedule Ive seen in a while are silly.

Kind of just ranting at this point, but give Helton some time guys. If he leaves, he leaves but until then I like the improvements Im seeing.

Give him some time?

The reporting is saying that his agent is the one shopping for jobs to get out of Knoxville.

I don't take it as he is wanting to leave due to fan pressure but some behind the scenes stuff where he isn't being allowed to run the show on offense.

Helton wasn’t the OC at USC

He was the passing game coordinator.

Also, just like at WKU under Brohm, at USC he had a HC who was a former OC/QB coach.

This is the first time in his career as an OC/QB coach, that he seems to be on his own, and under a non-offensive-minded HC.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol

Also, just like at WKU under Brohm, at USC he had a HC who was a former OC/QB coach.

This is the first time in his career as an OC/QB coach, that he seems to be on his own, and under a non-offensive-minded HC.
if you're looking for silver linings, maybe Helton is Pruitt's Sunseri, he's just getting it out of the way, early......

if you're looking for silver linings, maybe Helton is Pruitt's Sunseri, he's just getting it out of the way, early......

Maybe, or it could just be that we had a first time HC, hire an OC with very little experience, and what experience he did have was under coaches with offensive mindsets, and experience at the OC/QB position.

Last edited:
Writers gotta write... even if its fiction. But for what it's worth, it wouldn't break my heart to see Helton go. He hasn't really proven or disproven anything yet. When we have the horses and play calling is clearly the problem maybe Helton starts showing his true colors or calls foul play. Until he has the players to execute anything but a terrible run offense and a barely better passing attack I think he stays put.
Just wow

Reactions: GBOVFL88
In my opinion, TN is trying to reestablish it's identity as a power running game type team. They know they have to run the ball to be successful even if it means growing pains in the beginning. Eventually it will pay off. Maybe not this year but in the future.
Finally a smart person! I used to love getting on this site and reading post. Not so much anymore. Some of the negative post from clueless fans is very disturbing. Read up on Tyson Helton. I believe he is legit. If this fan base is mean to him or his family before the 3rd season then I don’t know what to tell you. Grow up and get a clue for starters. If you feel this is the same old song for a coaching staff please exit the fan base at your earliest convenience. Snowflakes!

Finally a smart person! I used to love getting on this site and reading post. Not so much anymore. Some of the negative post from clueless fans is very disturbing. Read up on Tyson Helton. I believe he is legit. If this fan base is mean to him or his family before the 3rd season then I don’t know what to tell you. Grow up and get a clue for starters. If you feel this is the same old song for a coaching staff please exit the fan base at your earliest convenience. Snowflakes!

Lulz.

Reactions: rocytop2624

Uhhhh. Again everyone read up on Helton. He was the oc @ Western Kentucky. Man I wish my fan base didn’t suck.

Yes, I know that mentioning anything Basilio brings out the pitchforks around here and believe me, I take this all with a grain of salt as I do with anything he reports.....but Basilio has been talking about this for a while and now he's claiming sources. I thought it interesting and bold enough to share and discuss......

Friends in the football industry are telling me that Tennessee OC Tyson Helton's agent Trace Armstrong is putting out the word in coaching circles that his client isn't getting a fair shake in Knoxville thus far. The basic gist of Armstrong's message is don't judge my guy based on what you've seen thus far. Armstrong is painting a narrative where Helton isn't being allowed to do his own thing. This isn't tremendously surprising in that the first five games for Helton have been mostly miserable from an offensive standpoint.
Delete this dumb sh!/

It really does feel like Pruitt may be too involved with the offense. If he is, I hope he lets up and let’s Helton do his own thing.

Now on the flip side, if he is letting Helton do his own thing then maybe he does need to get involved. Lol

I gotta say, if im the head coach my offensive coord will be running my offense and doing things my way. If I get fired, it's gonna be totally on me and not because I let one of coordinators do their own thing.

Now, if I know I have no clue about offense, yeah, I'm gonna hire the best off coordinator I can find a let him do his thing until I gain the knowledge of how to run an offense. This is just good wisdom.

By the way, I would install a power run game mixed with a little spd and load option, with pa being my main pass offense. Defensively, I'd be 43 base with predominantly zone coverage. A lot of bend but don't break, trying to force fgs and turnovers. Stout against the run, but gonna give up plenty of pass yardage.
If you arent going to let them run their side, why hire them? Leadership 101 is to let you people do their jobs.

Reactions: GRN1926

VN Store

Back