Barnes should have left for UCLA

Not sure I understand what you're asking.
How or why did Coach Barnes feel he either needed to or wanted to have an interview with UCLA? Then UCLA hires Cincinnati's coach after it is announced Barnes was staying.
Was Coach B. getting lead down the path? There has to be some reason it went this far? Is there some friction with Coach B. and the UT admin that has not showed itself?

How or why did Coach Barnes feel he either needed to or wanted to have an interview with UCLA? Then UCLA hires Cincinnati's coach after it is announced Barnes was staying.
Was Coach B. getting lead down the path? There has to be some reason it went this far? Is there some friction with Coach B. and the UT admin that has not showed itself?
I think Rick didn't think he was getting enough recognition for the job he had done and he also wanted a pay raise.

Reactions: JCP201
In my opinion the status of that job was appealing to Barnes, and of course money is always a factor, regardless of what anyone says.

I'm not aware of any friction, but if there were any serious issues between Barnes and the administration, I don't think he would have passed up his ticket outta here. Again, just my opinion.

I think he had some interest, listened to what UCLA had to offer, then listened to what Tennessee had to offer, and made his decision accordingly.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

Yes, we are an afterthought in college basketball but it doesn’t have to always be that way. We need to continue to grow as a program and expound on what others started

Look at his record after the 3 straight final four seasons.

Howland got complacent and couldn’t continue the success of final four runs.

He was trash in his last 5 years in a what have you done for me lately business.

He was 107-62 in his final 5 seasons with a 2-3 tourney record.....

For a program coming off 3 Final Fours and 126-45 record in his first 5 years, it was time to can him. Problem is he peaked to early and couldn’t continue the success.

You just described Rick Barnes’s career at Texas. Well except he only made one final four. Never pay Barnes for past results because his instinct is already to coast.

So since Pearl, we are 1-2 on coaches being good. That 1 is Barnes.

And what coach could we have gotten for the same money that would have been as good?

The Tennessee job is in much better shape than Barnes found it and that includes the finances of it too. Anyone saying this isn’t a deal while avoiding dealing with a 4th search in 8 years, along with buyouts and landing another up and comer is truly asinine.

You’re a glutton for punishment if you wanted him to take the UCLA job.
Pop quiz class which Vols coach had more NCAA tournament wins Cuonzo Martin or Rick Barnes. Which coach reached the S16 faster as Vols coach. The answer may surprise you.

You just described Rick Barnes’s career at Texas. Well except he only made one final four. Never pay Barnes for past results because his instinct is already to coast.

Must have missed where Barnes missed multiple tourneys, had locker room issues, and recruiting investigations at Texas....

Reactions: vols40
Pop quiz class which Vols coach had more NCAA tournament wins Cuonzo Martin or Rick Barnes. Which coach reached the S16 faster as Vols coach. The answer may surprise you.

Pop quiz- which coach walked into a significantly better roster than the other?

And 3 years vs 4 years to make Sweet 16 means nothing. Cuonzo’s best team was a bubble team that got lucky on selection Sunday to even make the tourney.

Regardless of Barnes tourney success so far at UT, Tennessee will be going to the Tourney next year for the 3rd straight year even with Bone/Grant losses if they happen.

Can’t believe you’re going to sit here and try to say Cuonzo is Better than Barnes.

There’s a reason he’s sucked everywhere else since his one good 3 game stretch at Tennessee....

Reactions: vols40 and Vols410

Who cares? Martin inherited a much better situation. Not all records are equal. Oh, and they both have 3 wins in the NCAAT as a UT coach. It helps when you play in the first four.

Reactions: Vols410
Must have missed where Barnes missed multiple tourneys, had locker room issues, and recruiting investigations at Texas....

Barnes missed the tournament once in his last three years same as Howland. Howland also had more tournament wins in the last four years at UCLA than Rick Barnes did. You picked the wrong guy to bluff brah I know a ton about college basketball.

Pop quiz- which coach walked into a significantly better roster than the other?

And 3 years vs 4 years to make Sweet 16 means nothing. Cuonzo’s best team was a bubble team that got lucky on selection Sunday to even make the tourney.

Regardless of Barnes tourney success so far at UT, Tennessee will be going to the Tourney next year for the 3rd straight year even with Bone/Grant losses if they happen.

Can’t believe you’re going to sit here and try to say Cuonzo is Better than Barnes.

There’s a reason he’s sucked everywhere else since his one good 3 game stretch at Tennessee....
Pop quiz which coach is going to have had more NBA players on their team. The more talented canard is laughable. Barnes just had three NBA players on his roster and got pimp slapped yet again by an interior team. Pay big bucks for mediocrity and you stop even getting mediocrity.

Who cares? Martin inherited a much better situation. Not all records are equal. Oh, and they both have 3 wins in the NCAAT as a UT coach. It helps when you play in the first four.

Lol except for the fact that Martin’s first four win would represent the second highest seed defeated by a Barnes team. Barnes signature tourney win at Tennessee is Iowa. The team CM beat in the first four. 😭😭 so far Barnes hasn’t beaten a single digit seed in the tournament at Tennessee. Also 3>2 pros brah.

Every time I jump back on this site to see how things are going, it's miserable posts like this that remind me why I tens to stay away. We just retained the National Coach of the Year. Why on Earth can you not just be happy about that?
Because paying for past production is what simpletons do.

He just won 31 games with a bunch of 3 star players...I may be wrong but I kinda get the idea he knows what he's doing.
And he deserves tremendous praise for it. However, the idea that this formula will lead to more 30 win seasons is not a good bet. Occasionally you catch lightening in a bottle. I followed Williams recruiting closely and commented many times in this forum that he would be a great player. Look at his HS competition and what he put up. Barnes did a great job with Admiral, Bowden and Kyle. Most suspected Bone would be a very good player.

This next group hasn’t shown the same promise. Where is the offense going to come from? I’ll say that Fulk can be a high level SEC player if he’ll put on some size and strength. Pond, Walker, Johnson and Kent have no business being in the SEC.

Reactions: treali94
Lol except for the fact that Martin’s first four win would represent the second highest seed defeated by a Barnes team. Barnes signature tourney win at Tennessee is Iowa. The team CM beat in the first four. 😭😭 so far Barnes hasn’t beaten a single digit seed in the tournament at Tennessee. Also 3>2 pros brah.

That’s not what you asked. Again, who cares? I don’t know what the last sentence means. Catch me up on mellenial talk.

In 2018, the Vols lost by ONE point to a team that made the final four. This year they lost in overtime to Purdue, who lost in overtime to Virginia, the National Champions. That's a pretty good record to me. Perhaps Barnes can tune up his motivational speaches before big games a little, but they were really close to winning out each year. Don't see much room for any true VOL fan to complain.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

This has to be one of the most ignorant post of all times. Yeah, CRB should have left UT just due to this board and all the negativity there will be should he never reach a FF or win it all. You make this website way more important than it is. This website primarily gets all of it's information from all other websites that actually pay people to gather and report news with very little to contribute that we haven't read elsewhere, besides false rumors. LOL Also, I am sure Barnes, Fulmer, and most logical fans could care less what most uneducated know it alls on this board say and think!!! LOL

Tennessee fans amaze me! You complain about the AD not stepping up and paying a real coach, then when he does you complain! I dint get it! I’m thrilled the CRB is staying, but even more I’m excited by what it says about CPF disposition in running the athletic program and what it says about other sports as well! Did you expect Phil to just stand on the sidelines and watch CRB pack his bags? Not a chance!
CPF believes that Tennessee is worth fighting for whether you do or not! Can you imagine Mike Hamilton or John Currie in the same scenario? I didn’t think so!

I'm thrilled that CRB decided to stay at TN vs, taking the Left coast job. He is great for this program, university and community. With that, when you're the 3 rd highest paid coach or employee in your sport or job, you have to produce to that level. Obviously next season is not going to be a record breaking season in terms of wins like this season was. However, the expectation at this point forward should be an NCAAT bid on an annual basis and once you get in, anything can happen. I would also expect some SEC championships along the way, either regular season or tourney. It will take CRB recruiting at a higher level, which should be easier to do now that he has had some success here..

Just curious, what did you demand? You wanted to know his thoughts...that’s about like asking him to explain what he was doing and why.
A person can agree or disagree with my opinion, that's how life works. I don't however like what I said to be misquoted or characterized in a manner in which it was not intended. Below is my original quote. In NO way did I demand anything. In fact, if someone takes the time to read my quote to listen and not argue, I say words such as "I think," and "Does he have to....NO" In NO way did I demand anything. Only expressing my opinion. Again, you can agree or disagree...I really don't care. But DO NOT take what I said out of context.

I don't think Barnes runs in to trouble living up to the fan base expectations vs. salary. Where I do think he runs in to some problems....most of the fan base bleed orange, live, and breath it. We expect the same from our coaches. I think he should hold a presser telling us what was going on in his mind. ? Does he have to? No! Should he....YES! I'll be the first to admit, I'm not holding him in the highest regard today, it's nothing to do with coaching, it's him personally. Him leaving would surely put the nail in the coffin with both Bone and Williams. Not to mention the recruits that have verbally committed. Outside looking in...he was willing to screw TN...for what? Money!

Barnes missed the tournament once in his last three years same as Howland. Howland also had more tournament wins in the last four years at UCLA than Rick Barnes did. You picked the wrong guy to bluff brah I know a ton about college basketball.

Barnes missed once. Howland missed 2 years out of his last 5 and never got back to the Sweet 16 after the 3 Final Fours.

And once again, I must have missed where Barnes had serious off court and locker room issues that led to a toxic environment at Texas like the one UCLA had.

Knowledge level has zero to do with what actually happened. There was a push to interview Howland over Barnes by many on here after Cuonzo. It’s clear who the better coach is.

Read up maybe.

It’s also clear you don’t understand what avoiding our 4th search in 8 years does for the program and department from a financial status.

It’s a business and the right 100000% business decision was paying Barnes because it kept the business in great shape instead of shambles which would have happened because all you bozo’s have yet to name a coach that would come here with the main selling point being money.

Reactions: JCP201
Pop quiz which coach is going to have had more NBA players on their team. The more talented canard is laughable. Barnes just had three NBA players on his roster and got pimp slapped yet again by an interior team. Pay big bucks for mediocrity and you stop even getting mediocrity.
For the billionth time, name a coach that would come here with main selling point being money......

VN Store

Back