Barnes should have left for UCLA

every fanbase has a few of those...should we let a few vocal minority destroy our basketball program? Tennessee just made a big step towards being a bball "destination" and not just a stepping stone for coaches.
This.... given what he did these past 2 seasons with less talent (as far as recruiting sites go), CRB has already deserved that raise IMO, but I believe he will make sure he continues to earn it now.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
We dodged a bullet on that one. Totally disagree with OP. Barnes found a home here, success, and most fans love him. Why anyone would move to California is beyond me. More people leaving than staying in California.

They won't have to wait long. Barnes has a 30+ year track record filled with missed opportunities. This year, he took one of the most talented TN teams in school history and came away with nothing to show for it.

The way the tourney played out, it was such a crap shoot for all the teams. How many games went into overtime, from the Sweet Sixteen on in? If one call had gone our way - just like most of the losing teams - we could have been playing for the NT. That is more on luck than skill. It is hard for me to put that on him. He had us in the hunt. I think that is all you can ask for.

Imagine thinking this........

I guess you would have preferred him leaving for UCLA and going thru out 4th coaching search in 8 years?

He was more than worth the money to establish continuity and a stable program. After all, he was hired to do that.

We, as a program, have proven we come out and support our basketball program. This line that coaches believe TN is a football school is a myth. Coaches can come to TN and succeed. That has been proven. To think we couldn't have upgraded from Barnes for $4.7 million is insane. Barnes at $4.7 million is a joke. There is no way to justify that.

We, as a program, have proven we come out and support our basketball program. This line that coaches believe TN is a football school is a myth. Coaches can come to TN and succeed. That has been proven. To think we couldn't have upgraded from Barnes for $4.7 million is insane. Barnes at $4.7 million is a joke. There is no way to justify that.
Ok, who you going to grab that's a guaranteed upgrade from Barnes?

The way the tourney played out, it was such a crap shoot for all the teams. How many games went into overtime, from the Sweet Sixteen on in? If one call had gone our way - just like most of the losing teams - we could have been playing for the NT. That is more on luck than skill. It is hard for me to put that on him. He had us in the hunt. I think that is all you can ask for.

He has a 30+ year track record and a long NCAAT record to judge him by. Luck tends to work out over a longer period. Barnes is a .500 Tourney coach with one Final 4 and no Finals appearance. For coaches with 20+ NCAAT appearances, he is near the bottom.

So since Pearl, we are 1-2 on coaches being good. That 1 is Barnes.

And what coach could we have gotten for the same money that would have been as good?

The Tennessee job is in much better shape than Barnes found it and that includes the finances of it too. Anyone saying this isn’t a deal while avoiding dealing with a 4th search in 8 years, along with buyouts and landing another up and comer is truly asinine.

You’re a glutton for punishment if you wanted him to take the UCLA job.

Reactions: Vols410

Name the coach then. Just one.

I really don't care how much he makes not even something I would consider downing him for. I am glad he stayed all about winning for me. I hope he can keep it going at Tennessee.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....
Those fans are going to complain because they are complainers. They would have complained if Barnes left, they will complain that he stayed and we paid him to do so. They will complain if he makes the Final Four because he didn’t make the title game. They will complain if he’d win a title because he lost to Bruce Pearl in the regular season.

You can’t satisy everyone, and you especially can’t satisfy people who want to be unsatisfied. Just part of life.

Last edited:
Those fans are going to complain because they are complainers. They would have complained if Barnes left, they will complain that he stayed and we paid him to do so. They will complain if he makes the Final Four because he didn’t make the title game. They will complain if win a title because he lost to Bruce Pearl in the regular season.

You can’t satisy everyone, and you especially can’t satisfy people who want to be unsatisfied. Just part of life.
I think you may have nailed it.

They won't have to wait long. Barnes has a 30+ year track record filled with missed opportunities. This year, he took one of the most talented TN teams in school history and came away with nothing to show for it.

Let's break the bank for Sweet 16 flameouts. Only UT.

As if on cue. There they are OP. You didn't have to wait long at all.

But I disagree with your premise even having heard the "truth" from our sad negavol friends. Barnes didn't make a mistake and neither did UT. He's building something that has never existed at UT for more than a season or two at a time. And he's building it the right way. UT's challenge will be to find the next good coach when that time comes or everything he accomplishes will be wiped away.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Yeah, I always base life decisions on the opinions of less than 1% of those that actually matter.

Reactions: walkenvol
The guy proved to me he can coach basketball his first season at UT. He coached a lot harder that season than he did this season. I still don't know how he put together a team under those conditions and it ended up being a team that was fun to watch. I am positive that he will put the players in a position to win championships, the rest is on them.

Quite!! Didn’t you listen to the OP!! Since we aren’t a traditional power house there is no way we can ever expect to do better than the sweet 16 and you are a fool to think so!!! Just look at this years final 4!!! Nothing but blue bloods!!! Your a fool for thinking we could possibly ever attain such a goal here at lowely Tennessee.

So, you just wake up in the morning and think "How can I share my condescending arrogance and judgemental negativity with those in need?"

Thank you for putting others in their rightful place beneath you. You're a saint.

Reactions: slobberknocker

VN Store

Back