Barnes should have left for UCLA

JohnD13

Grudiot Hater
Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

Reactions: Steven5198
Don't care about them. I'm glad he stayed. Lots of fans are glad he stayed. The players who play for him are glad he stayed. And the players who are coming in, that want to play for him, are glad he stayed. To hell with everybody else.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Yeah definitely. Especially since UCLA basketball has a reputation as such a no pressure gig.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

"On March 25, 2013, Howland was fired by UCLA. In his 10 years with the Bruins, he had a .685 winning percentage, went to three consecutive Final Fours, and won four Pac-12 conference titles. "

yes definitely no pressure to win at UCLA.

If making $5MM in a beautiful, low cost, no state income tax area is considered a mistake, then where do I sign?

thFJFUR80X.jpg

Him getting that number will be seen as worth it to a lot of people to avoid our 4th coaching search since 2011.

The plus side is Barnes will retire here in likely 4-6 years. So we are paying a bit more knowing we avoid a coaching search and don’t have to really be concerned that we may have to fire a coach with a big buyout.

Most wont look at it this way but this is a major win for the Department’s finances for the next 4-6 years while keeping a great coach.

Last edited:
4.5+ mil a year, you should expect results with that much money. Top 10 paid coach should net top 10 results.

Only way for Barnes to erase the chokes in the tourney rep is to make the final 4 again. He has more losses as a fav in the tourney than anyone in history. BUT, that means he has created a strong team in the regular season to be the fav. Enjoy the regular seasons and hope for a couple bounces in the tourney.

AU was one shot away from being bounced in the 1st rd and one shot away from the NC. Sometimes it’s just better to be lucky.

The possibility that Tennessee will be an elite basketball school just got a lot better in my opinion. If Barnes can continue to raise the level of recruits like he has so far, and can coach them up the way he did this group, deep runs in the NCAA, the top recruits will come.
Was getting ready to type the exact same thing. You think recruits don't know, and assistant coaches don't know who's committed to basketball? This gives Barnes a ton more "perceived" leverage when he walks into a recruit's home. This move took us up a notch. So what he's a top 3 guy nationally. If that's truly an issue, raise ticket prices by $5, and you're paying for the majority of the raise (22,000 x $5 x 12 games...approx) = $1.32MM. Tennessee has only one over achieving major sport, and they couldn't afford to let that get away from us.

Lastly, whether on purpose or not, Barnes flipped the script on his appreciation. Though everyone appreciates Barnes, you hear the chatter about "never going to get us to upper level in tourney stuff"... In two days, he went to National COY, where VN was in full panic mode that we'd lose him to a historical program with deep pockets.

Was getting ready to type the exact same thing. You think recruits don't know, and assistant coaches don't know who's committed to basketball? This gives Barnes a ton more "perceived" leverage when he walks into a recruit's home. This move took us up a notch. So what he's a top 3 guy nationally. If that's truly an issue, raise ticket prices by $5, and you're paying for the majority of the raise (22,000 x $5 x 12 games...approx) = $1.32MM. Tennessee has only one over achieving major sport, and they couldn't afford to let that get away from us.

Lastly, whether on purpose or not, Barnes flipped the script on his appreciation. Though everyone appreciates Barnes, you hear the chatter about "never going to get us to upper level in tourney stuff"... In two days, he went to National COY, where VN was in full panic mode that we'd lose him to a historical program with deep pockets.
UCLA had shallow pockets with the payouts they're paying to Jim Mora Jr and Steve Alford.

"On March 25, 2013, Howland was fired by UCLA. In his 10 years with the Bruins, he had a .685 winning percentage, went to three consecutive Final Fours, and won four Pac-12 conference titles. "

Look at his record after the 3 straight final four seasons.

Howland got complacent and couldn’t continue the success of final four runs.

He was trash in his last 5 years in a what have you done for me lately business.

He was 107-62 in his final 5 seasons with a 2-3 tourney record.....

For a program coming off 3 Final Fours and 126-45 record in his first 5 years, it was time to can him. Problem is he peaked to early and couldn’t continue the success.

Reactions: treali94

You're way too obsessed with what a few outliers think. 99% of people are glad we retained Barnes and the stability he provides our program. If Grant announces today he's coming back, I may need to have the smile on my face surgically removed. :)

I think his salary is a bit more than I'd prefer we pay, but he's a proven commodity at this point. We've learned in football how hard it is to lure a proven, experienced winner. If you have one, it pays to keep him.

Report: Howland lost control of UCLA players

"Guys drinking, guys doing drugs, guys not taking practice seriously, guys fighting ... You won't find that on the Pyramid of Success," one player said

4.5+ mil a year, you should expect results with that much money. Top 10 paid coach should net top 10 results.

Only way for Barnes to erase the chokes in the tourney rep is to make the final 4 again. He has more losses as a fav in the tourney than anyone in history. BUT, that means he has created a strong team in the regular season to be the fav. Enjoy the regular seasons and hope for a couple bounces in the tourney.

AU was one shot away from being bounced in the 1st rd and one shot away from the NC. Sometimes it’s just better to be lucky.

Imagine thinking this........

I guess you would have preferred him leaving for UCLA and going thru out 4th coaching search in 8 years?

He was more than worth the money to establish continuity and a stable program. After all, he was hired to do that.

Woe there hoss. A majority of the fans that go to these games on a consistent basis are not the ones sitting courtside that can afford a ticket price increase. I get 6 season tickets myself (the cheap seats) and paying another 350-400 dollars will pretty much put me out. I travel the roads from Kingsport to Knoxville every game and have done so for the past 10 years. To raise the price on tickets will keep a lot of the working class people at the house. Love my Vols, but also like having electricity at the house and gas in the vehicle for work. All one has to do is look at NASCAR and see what continual elevating ticket prices have done to that sport.
That being said, the attendance has only increased as Coach Barnes has brought UT basketball from a dumpster fire to national attention (in a good way) I am sure the numbers filling the seats that used to not be there has been ample enough to pay his raise. Now that things look to be steadied out and there is no worry of another coaching search, it will even get better. Would really be curious how the souvenier sales have been over the past 3 years. Look forward to the upcoming years under Coach Barnes leadership. The past years have been a blast. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

They won't have to wait long. Barnes has a 30+ year track record filled with missed opportunities. This year, he took one of the most talented TN teams in school history and came away with nothing to show for it.

What I want to see is ho much of a bump he got for his assistants. That was supposedly what it was all about. If they got very little out of this, then it changes my outlook on Barnes a bit. It makes me wonder if he is a true VFL.

VN Store

Back