Barnes should have left for UCLA

I'm glad he came back, but exactly who do you think provides the money for his salary? One thing I know, this will show up in the prices for tickets, concessions, memorabilia etc etc.

Tickets? Maybe... it would be marginal. How much were season tickets this year? You may see a small bump next season.

Concessions and memorabilia? Doubt those prices change at all. Conversely, if Barnes remains successful and packs TBA then sales for both increase which would help offset his salary.

The money to pays coaches primarily comes from TV contracts, sponsorships, and fundraisers. And like concessions, if Barnes keeps the program winning then donations will continue to go up.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Televised games, merchandise, and ticket sales. These are the primary funds used for these salaries.

No I can't. The truth is no one really knows one way or the other until an offer is made. That's all I was saying.

Beard isn’t leaving Tech for Tennessee. There is no incentive for him to do that even if there was an opening.

UCLA is in a cesspool. There is reason they struggled to find a coach. Howland was a good coach and had his hands full with al kinds of peripheral crap you’d never deal with at UT or Miss State, or Uk for that matter. It is not a “dream” job as some made it out to be. Barnes better start recruiting better if he’s going to be the 3rd highest paid coach in the country.

I wonder how pumped everyone will be when they struggle to get to 20 wins next year?

UCLA is in a cesspool. There is reason they struggled to find a coach. Howland was a good coach and had his hands full with al kinds of peripheral crap you’d never deal with at UT or Miss State, or Uk for that matter. It is not a “dream” job as some made it out to be. Barnes better start recruiting better if he’s going to be the 3rd highest paid coach in the country.

I wonder how pumped everyone will be when they struggle to get to 20 wins next year?
He just won 31 games with a bunch of 3 star players...I may be wrong but I kinda get the idea he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: gog1 and vollygirl
Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

Boooo! Please go back to the Old Miss boards.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Championships every year? How about just one final four In Our Lifetime? How about 1 SEC tournament Championship every 50 years? I don't understand fans like you. What is so wrong about having high expectations.? It wasn't just Tennessee fans that expected a lot out of this team. The preseason polls and the media also thought this was a potential final four team. I'm glad Barnes stayed, however he's really making the big bucks now so yes he will have to step up his game. These guys make millions of dollars and always wanting more. There's nothing wrong with getting our money's worth.

You're way too obsessed with what a few outliers think. 99% of people are glad we retained Barnes and the stability he provides our program. If Grant announces today he's coming back, I may need to have the smile on my face surgically removed. :)

I think his salary is a bit more than I'd prefer we pay, but he's a proven commodity at this point. We've learned in football how hard it is to lure a proven, experienced winner. If you have one, it pays to keep him.
Glad to see that Vols hierarchy stepped up to retain CRB. The Nega Vols will be out for sure as they always are. CRB has us on a right path to sustain things, but we will need to see what Grant Williams decides to better gauge next years hopes.

I’m actually shocked at those few folks who wanted to go through another coaching search like Barnes wasn’t good enough.

Why would you be shocked? I am shocked that you are shocked. Some pretty delusional comments around here and they don’t go away.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? Please show me where I demand an explanation!

Just curious, what did you demand? You wanted to know his thoughts...that’s about like asking him to explain what he was doing and why.

Op in his feelings

Don't care about them. I'm glad he stayed. Lots of fans are glad he stayed. The players who play for him are glad he stayed. And the players who are coming in, that want to play for him, are glad he stayed. To hell with everybody else.
if you can say to hell with everyone who doesnt think he's worth 6 million in 5 years, i can say to hell with everyone who thinks he's worth 4.7 this coming year. MUCH better options than Rick Barnes for that kind of money. But hey, if u feel like a moral victory was won simply because UTK wasnt turned down by a coach for once, Kudos. It isnt about how good he is or isnt with folks on this website, it's about not 'losing' another coaching search. Kinda like the GF who dumped you (depending on what you like). People are wired to being told yes like winning the lottery. It's psychological. U won a lottery with Barnes but the wrong kind of lottery, the house always wins in the end. TN will go nowhere meaningful with Rick Barnes before he retires in 5 years. I will own that. The ceiling the at best elite 8. No one cares that we won 30 games. Auburn won 30 games and went to the final 4. This season is an afterthought to everyone except die hard vol fans. TN's answer to that is throwing ridiculous money at a coach who couldnt even win a regular season title with 2 NBA maybe 3 NBA caliber player. Ask Kevin Durant.. pathetic. His own players said he was soft especially on officiating which cost them multple games. The guy almost bounced for UCLA when he saw everyone was leaving. Now all of a suddent he LOVES East TN...right, but not before he got another 1.5 mill in his pocket....i don't know what world u people live in, but wake up.

Last edited:
if you can say to hell with everyone who doesnt think he's worth 6 million in 5 years, i can say to hell with everyone who thinks he's worth 4.7 this coming year. MUCH better options than Rick Barnes for that kind of money. But hey, if u feel like a moral victory was won simply because UTK wasnt turned down by a coach for once, Kudos. It isnt about how good he is or isnt with folks on this website, it's about not 'losing' another coaching search. Kinda like the GF who dumped you (depending on what you like). People are wired to being told yes like winning the lottery. It's psychological. U won a lottery with Barnes but the wrong kind of lottery, the house always wins in the end. TN will go nowhere meaningful with Rick Barnes before he retires in 5 years. I will own that. The ceiling the at best elite 8. No one cares that we won 30 games. Auburn won 30 games and went to the final 4. This season is an afterthought to everyone except die hard vol fans. TN's answer to that is throwing ridiculous money at a coach who couldnt even win a regular season title with 2 NBA maybe 3 NBA caliber player. Ask Kevin Durant.. pathetic. His own players said he was soft especially on officiating which cost them multple games. The guy almost bounced for UCLA when he saw everyone was leaving. Now all of a suddent he LOVES East TN...right, but not before he got another 1.5 mill in his pocket....i don't know what world u people live in, but wake up.

You must be fun at parties. The Kevin Durant argument is old and dumb.

Reactions: StarRaider
You're way too obsessed with what a few outliers think. 99% of people are glad we retained Barnes and the stability he provides our program. If Grant announces today he's coming back, I may need to have the smile on my face surgically removed. :)

I think his salary is a bit more than I'd prefer we pay, but he's a proven commodity at this point. We've learned in football how hard it is to lure a proven, experienced winner. If you have one, it pays to keep him.
Ok, why did we get to this position in the first place?

Tony Bennett at Virginia, look at his first four years, and their record before he got the job.

VN Store

Back