Barnes should have left for UCLA

Lavin and Howland both have similar histories to Barnes and were run out of UCLA. Barnes would've had to peak at UCLA to be considered successful.

Reactions: BeecherVol
Lavin and Howland both have similar histories to Barnes and were run out of UCLA. Barnes would've had to peak at UCLA to be considered successful.
Yep. If he didn't make it to a Final Four within his first few years, they'd run him out of town on a rail. Horrible cultural fit there too and he'd get no benefits of the doubt from the media.

They wouldn't put up with underachievement combined with (in their view) his down-home, hillbilly-like demeanor. He'd have to be really, really good for them to truly ever "accept" him.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? Please show me where I demand an explanation!

I don't think Barnes runs in to trouble living up to the fan base expectations vs. salary. Where I do think he runs in to some problems....most of the fan base bleed orange, live, and breath it. We expect the same from our coaches. I think he should hold a presser telling us what was going on in his mind. Does he have to? No! Should he....YES! I'll be the first to admit, I'm not holding him in the highest regard today, it's nothing to do with coaching, it's him personally. Him leaving would surely put the nail in the coffin with both Bone and Williams. Not to mention the recruits that have verbally committed. Outside looking in...he was willing to screw TN...for what? Money!

I can read just fine, thanks.

Like Quote Reply

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

those fans exist at all schools..........he is where he should be...........he made UT BB great again :)

Reactions: feathersax
I'm glad Barnes stayed because I don't trust Fulmer to find a top or up and coming basketball coach. However, they will be grossly over paying Barnes for the results he has had here and in his coaching career. Now an SEC Tournament championship is expected. Many NCAA runs to at least the final 8 are expected. If he doesn't reach these goals then he will be a disappointment because that is what the money dictates.

Reactions: Volle
Only a graveyard for people who can't succeed there. Howland peaked early and got complacent and that showed... His last 5 years were garbage. Alfrod had remarkable losses and had locker room issues.....

There is plenty of talent walking in the door at UCLA, they just have bad coaching hires. Barnes wouldn't have been a bad hire for them.
Talent not the problem. It's an impatient (and shrinking) fan base, intruding parents, uncooperative players & more. CRB & other coaches know this.

I wonder if Rick Barnes took full account of all the negative opinions of VN keyboard warriors before deciding to stay. Hope he understands their massive influence on his career. :-\ Lord help!

I don't think Barnes runs in to trouble living up to the fan base expectations vs. salary. Where I do think he runs in to some problems....most of the fan base bleed orange, live, and breath it. We expect the same from our coaches. I think he should hold a presser telling us what was going on in his mind. Does he have to? No! Should he....YES! I'll be the first to admit, I'm not holding him in the highest regard today, it's nothing to do with coaching, it's him personally. Him leaving would surely put the nail in the coffin with both Bone and Williams. Not to mention the recruits that have verbally committed. Outside looking in...he was willing to screw TN...for what? Money!

I can read just fine, thanks.

Like Quote Reply
Lol, not only reading comprehension, reasoning skills are lacking too.

Reactions: volfanhill

His job is to win basketball games. Not save UT money, not give UT a chance to get Williams and Bone back. Neither of which owe UT anything more than taking care of themselves and their careers either at this point.

The personal high horse crowd is hilarious and I'm sure pretty hypocritical in regards to their own careers as well.

Reactions: Big time vol
Don't care about them. I'm glad he stayed. Lots of fans are glad he stayed. The players who play for him are glad he stayed. And the players who are coming in, that want to play for him, are glad he stayed. To hell with everybody else.
This.

I wonder if Rick Barnes took full account of all the negative opinions of VN keyboard warriors before deciding to stay. Hope he understands their massive influence on his career. :-\ Lord help!

The millions of dollars will help him forget.

Why come here when Tech is going to pony up for him after two year run with Elite 8 and National Title appearance?

Can you be 100% that Tech won’t offer him that money?

No I can't. The truth is no one really knows one way or the other until an offer is made. That's all I was saying.

F*** those “fans”! We need stability for years to come or we’ll forever be in a rebuilding cycle. Oh and he’s national CoY so there’s that too.
You are exactly right. You would have to be an absolute idiot if you wanted him to leave. But, he's BAACCKKK!!!! :D:D:cool::cool:

Should have let him go to UCLA. Then Bone and Grant would have definitely left, Lamonte would have left as graduating senior and we could then shut down the entire program! Would've saved a boatload of money then!!

Reactions: JohnWardForever
. However, they will be grossly over paying Barnes for the results he has had here and in his coaching career. .

True, but UT may be saving money in the long run by not having to go through a coaching search and the risk of hiring a bad coach. This was a win-win because the program needs stability and Barnes is a known commodity.

Sounds like the op is looking for a fight. I don't read, sense, or Feel anything like what he describes. We're glad Rick Barnes is our coach; and we aren't expecting the worst. I do believe his job will be a lot tougher next year because of losing players, but I'm all in on RB. (A guy named Barnes ain't going to ucla)! lol.

Reactions: Lurker
Don't let it slip your mind,the things Barnes accomplished with a bunch of 3 star players. I don't know if he is worth the contract he got or not,but has recruiting headed up, and if he puts a couple good classes together,there is no telling what MBB can do!

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....
Maybe he doesn't care what we think on VN.

I don’t understand why people act like the coach’s salary is coming out of their pocket.

I am happy he is staying and think he should be paid whatever it takes to make that happen. Even if I don’t think he should be the 3rd highest paid coach in the country.

They won't have to wait long. Barnes has a 30+ year track record filled with missed opportunities. This year, he took one of the most talented TN teams in school history and came away with nothing to show for it.

I have to disagree with you on this. CRB took a team with a lot of low rated players coming out of high school and elevated their game to make them one of the top teams in the country. The team with Ernie and Bernie was much more talented for instance than this team, at least IMO. There have been others with as much if not a lot more star power on the team than this one. Very few coaches ever even sniff a Natty, we may never get one with CRB, but I like our odds better with CRB than with some of the coaches we have had in the past. Look at vandy, they have Jerry Stackhouse, would you rather have Jerry Stackhouse or CRB at the helm for us. Our next coaching search could have been another cluster fluffle like we tend to do, now we have a established, proven coach. GO BIG ORANGE

Reactions: Lurker
I don’t understand why people act like the coach’s salary is coming out of their pocket.

I am happy he is staying and think he should be paid whatever it takes to make that happen. Even if I don’t think he should be the 3rd highest paid coach in the country.

I'm glad he came back, but exactly who do you think provides the money for his salary? One thing I know, this will show up in the prices for tickets, concessions, memorabilia etc etc.

"On March 25, 2013, Howland was fired by UCLA. In his 10 years with the Bruins, he had a .685 winning percentage, went to three consecutive Final Fours, and won four Pac-12 conference titles. "

yes definitely no pressure to win at UCLA.

Wasn’t he fired over recruiting violations. Same as the guy before him that ended up at Georgia? I may be mistaken but even Wooden had the HOF bagman.

VN Store

Back