Barnes should have left for UCLA

What was made up? He said if they would have paid the buyout, he would have left. UCLA didn't want to pay the buyout. They were too cheap to pay the buyout. So, yeah, it's not a direct quote, but that is what he said, just in different words.

The entire statement you made was made up. He did not in any way say “yea I would rather be at UCLA, but they are too cheap.”

You know he didn’t, but “his” comments don’t promote the agenda.

He said he would be at UCLA if it were not for the breakdown in the buyout negotiations. He also said he thought he might be at UCLA and prayed about it. He asked God to show him. When the negotiations broke down Barnes said “I felt it was a sign from god.” “I felt like God answered my prayers.”

Barnes would have certainly been at UCLA had it not been for the buyout.........but it wasn’t simply the buyout.........to Barnes “that” was his sign from God that he should stay at Tennessee.

Right or wrong, believe it or not, it doesn’t matter, because Barnes believed it.

There have been many articles since the 8th about this, and this is all verifiable. Now people are only wanting to hear one thing........”the buyout” but for Barnes that was “Gods answer.”

Reactions: butchna
The entire statement you made was made up. He did not in any way say “yea I would rather be at UCLA, but they are too cheap.”

He said he would be at UCLA if it were not for the breakdown in the buyout negotiations. He also said he thought he might be at UCLA and prayed about it. He asked God to show him. When the negotiations broke down Barnes said “I felt it was a sign from god.” “I felt like God answered my prayers.”

Barnes would have certainly been at UCLA had it not been for the buyout.........but it wasn’t simply the buyout.........to Barnes “that” was his sign from God that he should stay at Tennessee in his press conference.

Right or wrong, believe it or not, it doesn’t matter, because Barnes believed it.

There have been many articles since the 8th about this, and this is all verifiable. Now people are only wanting to hear one thing........”the buyout” but for Barnes that was “Gods answer.”

“If UCLA had paid the buyout, I’d be at UCLA.” Thats says I would rather be at UCLA. He looked at both jobs, preferred UCLA and admitted that it had to make financial sense, which it didn’t. Funny ole Rick said it had to make financial sense before mentioning how hard he prayed to God about his decisions.

You’re gonna have to excuse me if I don’t truly believe Rick with his convictions when God “told him” chose the side of more money.

What was made up? He said if they would have paid the buyout, he would have left. UCLA didn't want to pay the buyout. They were too cheap to pay the buyout. So, yeah, it's not a direct quote, but that is what he said, just in different words.
Really not what he said. To understand what he said you would have to be able to think like a very deeply religious person. Barnes said he prayed for clarity. when all road blocks which would have included the buyout hassle were not removed he decided it was God telling him to stay where he was. Now I'm not religious any more but having been there I sort of understand his thought processes. Now to some it might even seem a wacko way to make a decision. In his mind it was God leading him. It wasn't really to him them not paying the buyout but his god leaving a road block in the path. Not really the same as saying they were too cheap.
Good grief, the man bared his soul to us.

Reactions: WhiteOakVol
Really not what he said. To understand what he said you would have to be able to think like a very deeply religious person. Barnes said he prayed for clarity. when all road blocks which would have included the buyout hassle were not removed he decided it was God telling him to stay where he was. Now I'm not religious any more but having been there I sort of understand his thought processes. Now to some it might even seem a wacko way to make a decision. In his mind it was God leading him. It wasn't really to him them not paying the buyout but his god leaving a road block in the path. Not really the same as saying they were too cheap.
Good grief, the man bared his soul to us.

If Rick was a Muslim I’m sure the fan base would be lapping up the God comments so much.

But he isn't Muslim and I don't think there has been any evidence to doubt his spirituality. If you don't want to believe he's genuine, that's on you. I've learned to respect the man , mediocre post season or no.

Just funny how he loves to play the honesty card but didn’t want tell Fulmer he was contacted by UCLA for 72 hours.

Barnes would have certainly been at UCLA had it not been for the buyout.........but it wasn’t simply the buyout.........to Barnes “that” was his sign from God that he should stay at Tennessee.

Okay, so he said that he would be at UCLA had they agreed to pay his buyout. We agree on that. If UCLA had agreed to pay his buyout, he would have taken the job despite the enormous raise he had been offered here. That would seem to suggest he would rather be there, if he were willing to go there for less money (which once adjusted for taxes and cost of living it absolutely was).

Then he said that he prayed about it, and when they wouldn't pay his buyout, that was God's sign. So, had they been able to pay his buyout, then God would have wanted him at UCLA, and he would have left? And that makes you feel better about this? Because quite frankly, that seems a lot like he is using his faith as a crutch to support the decision that he made, because otherwise he would have had to fork over his $5 million dollar buyout himself. It seems disingenuous, honestly.

He's the coach now, and he will be until he retires - most likely. I'm sure glad God didn't want UCLA to come up with his buyout money. Now next year when we don't have Jordan Bone or Grant Williams we can expect Barnes to be a top 3 coach in the country. Maybe now that we've overpaid he will be able to finally beat Bruce Pearl when it matters. Or maybe now he will accept some responsibility when we lose games. Unfortunately, I imagine he will continue to throw players under the bus. He will continue to say things like Lamonte fouled him, and we coach him not to do that - when he could have just as easily said "I need to watch the film before I make a comment." And, he will probably continue to look like a deer in the headlights every time we get to the post season.

He burned his good will with me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Okay, so he said that he would be at UCLA had they agreed to pay his buyout. We agree on that. If UCLA had agreed to pay his buyout, he would have taken the job despite the enormous raise he had been offered here. That would seem to suggest he would rather be there, if he were willing to go there for less money (which once adjusted for taxes and cost of living it absolutely was).

Then he said that he prayed about it, and when they wouldn't pay his buyout, that was God's sign. So, had they been able to pay his buyout, then God would have wanted him at UCLA, and he would have left? And that makes you feel better about this? Because quite frankly, that seems a lot like he is using his faith as a crutch to support the decision that he made, because otherwise he would have had to fork over his $5 million dollar buyout himself. It seems disingenuous, honestly.

He's the coach now, and he will be until he retires - most likely. I'm sure glad God didn't want UCLA to come up with his buyout money. Now next year when we don't have Jordan Bone or Grant Williams we can expect Barnes to be a top 3 coach in the country. Maybe now that we've overpaid he will be able to finally beat Bruce Pearl when it matters. Or maybe now he will accept some responsibility when we lose games. Unfortunately, I imagine he will continue to throw players under the bus. He will continue to say things like Lamonte fouled him, and we coach him not to do that - when he could have just as easily said "I need to watch the film before I make a comment." And, he will probably continue to look like a deer in the headlights every time we get to the post season.

He burned his good will with me, and I know I'm not the only one.

The prob is with the “other” non revised statement it’s saying “now” I would rather be at UCLA. When in fact it was simply “I would have been there”

Then Barnes prayed, found his answer and to Barnes he is where God wants him (you and I can believe it or not.....but Barnes does believe it) so now the “I would have been” isn’t nearly the same as “I would rather be” as he wants to be where God wants him.

I listened to the presser and honestly, I can't figure out what the uproar is about. He was honest in what UCLA basketball meant to him from a young age, his relationship with John Wooden in his later years, and his own struggle with what to do. I understand the spiritual aspect of it too. He asked God for a sign and he got one. I'll not go into all of the theological aspects of the decision because some people do not understand that and it's okay. Just don't mock Coach Barnes for how he personally came to what was for him a tough decision. He made his decision, I am personally glad and I look forward to success in the basketball program. I think Coach Fulmer and the administration stepped up and made and good offer. I think Coach Fulmer is doing a good job in the hires he has made and time will tell.

Just funny how he loves to play the honesty card but didn’t want tell Fulmer he was contacted by UCLA for 72 hours.
The way I heard it is that he wasn’t the direct contact until Friday. He said his financial advisor was the contact person for UCLA. There is a lot of unknown about the timeline to be making definitive statements.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf

I think the only sign he was waiting for was the dollar sign.

I think the only sign he was waiting for was the dollar sign.

Barnes is worth over 9 million. He was offered a 25 mil contract. UCLA agreed to pay most of the buyout. If he really wanted to be at UCLA and it was simply about money, wouldn’t he just pay the 2 mil? He wouldn’t have to do it all at once, and he certainly has the money.

Go cheer for Auburn and the people’s champion, then. Guaranteed you won’t get honesty, so you won’t have anything to wring your hands over.
so much hostility, are you related to him or is it just a man crush? did he invite you over for dinner or something? UTK is a state school, i can bash him all i want.

Reactions: Big time vol
so much hostility, are you related to him or is it just a man crush? did he invite you over for dinner or something? UTK is a state school, i can bash him all i want.
No one said you can’t. If looking like a vindictive fool is your thing, you’re currently nailing it.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
It was pretty obvious Virginia, Tennessee and Purdue were all about equal and any of the 3 could have won the tourney. It just so happened that UVA got the breaks and luck it takes to win it all. They could have easily been beaten by Purdue who could have easily been beaten by UT
This is my feeling as well. Hopefully we get the breaks next time around.

Or he wanted it to be clear he preferred UCLA to Tennessee. So either Rick is an idiot or he knew what he was doing and trying to send a message.
But why send that message after the fact? I don't think it helps him in this case.

It will all be forgotten in about 2 weeks or after the next top 75 player commits. The only ones who bring up from then on will be those with the Anti-Barnes agenda which don't seem to be in short supply these days. I'll take the Honest Abe character over many of the sleazes in the sport any day.
Lol. This won’t be forgotten. Not with the kind of rift it has caused.

“If UCLA had paid the buyout, I’d be at UCLA.” Thats says I would rather be at UCLA. He looked at both jobs, preferred UCLA and admitted that it had to make financial sense, which it didn’t. Funny ole Rick said it had to make financial sense before mentioning how hard he prayed to God about his decisions.

You’re gonna have to excuse me if I don’t truly believe Rick with his convictions when God “told him” chose the side of more money.

Yes, it should have been, I love it here but UCLA made an offer I had to take a look at for my families sake. Instead, he basically said I would rather be at UCLA but they could not meet my buy out, so I am staying here instead.

The way I heard it is that he wasn’t the direct contact until Friday. He said his financial advisor was the contact person for UCLA. There is a lot of unknown about the timeline to be making definitive statements.
Does this mean UCLA negotiated with God before talking to Rick?

VN Store

Back