Barnes should have left for UCLA

UCLA has been a coach's graveyard since John Wooden. CRB knows that & didn't want the headaches of the school nor the "left coast".

Reactions: Lurker
We, as a program, have proven we come out and support our basketball program. This line that coaches believe TN is a football school is a myth. Coaches can come to TN and succeed. That has been proven. To think we couldn't have upgraded from Barnes for $4.7 million is insane. Barnes at $4.7 million is a joke. There is no way to justify that.

Lol how many basketball and football coaches has Tennessee hired over the past 10 years or so? And I tell you those great coaches where just falling out of the trees, to come to Tennessee.

glad he is staying, to go to UCLA would be jumping from the not so hot frying pan
to a big fire, he is such a class act, good man and coach and his basketball program
refreshing after disappointing football seasons

UCLA has been a coach's graveyard since John Wooden. CRB knows that & didn't want the headaches of the school nor the "left coast".

Only a graveyard for people who can't succeed there. Howland peaked early and got complacent and that showed... His last 5 years were garbage. Alfrod had remarkable losses and had locker room issues.....

There is plenty of talent walking in the door at UCLA, they just have bad coaching hires. Barnes wouldn't have been a bad hire for them.

I do think CRB’s at a bit of a cross roads with the program right now. He found some solid under the radar talent (along with AS & LT holdovers) his first couple years at UT and developed them into this current group of juniors and seniors. The last 2 cycles there’s Pons who’s still trying to figure it out (maybe JF & Walker too) and Burns who’s an unknown. He really needs this years group to be highly productive or there’s going to be a shortage of players. I lean towards trusting his evals, but there’s certainly a big question waiting to be answered. It’s not like CRB’s going to Will Wade himself a roster right quick if these guys don’t pan out.

Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....
He is a big boy now and I think he can handle any of the crap those fans live in.

Only a graveyard for people who can't succeed there. Howland peaked early and got complacent and that showed... His last 5 years were garbage. Alfrod had remarkable losses and had locker room issues.....

There is plenty of talent walking in the door at UCLA, they just have bad coaching hires. Barnes wouldn't have been a bad hire for them.
Of course, it could be argued that they have continual bad coaching hires because they are no longer quite as attractive as they believe they are. Just look at their current coaching search.

I’m looking at you Tennessee football.

F*** those “fans”! We need stability for years to come or we’ll forever be in a rebuilding cycle. Oh and he’s national CoY so there’s that too.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MAD
Not because I don't want him, I think he's an outstanding coach and proud he's our coach.

No the reason is he'll never live up to the bump in salary in the eyes of VN. Too many on here are now just waiting for him to "fail" so they can be the first to say they told us so. So many on here act like we have this great BB history and are really one of the great programs. LOL. We are an afterthought in college basketball yet you all think we should win championships every year. You set unreal expectations on a program that is just not that relevant in the overall picture of college basketball. I guess that's just what VN does,,,

Like I said, I think Barnes has made a huge mistake staying....

I fear you give VN too much credit. I personally don't think the "UT powers that be" pay much attention to what we type and think. Why should they, I expect we don't provide much in the way of money for the cause and our typed support is all over the place when it comes to being intelligent.

Reactions: walkenvol
And you truly think this message board was the force behind that? If so, I’ll go ahead and agree to disagree
Right or wrong, this message board was the first to bring to light the Washington Post article that referenced Schiano's alleged Sandusky ties...

Well Barnes was able build something here at Tennessee with a rabid fan base.

Absolutely he did. But the OPs suggestion that Barnes will face more pressure here because of money than at UCLA is ludicrous. It’s one of the most high pressure jobs in college sports. Especially during a time when the number 1 team in the city (The Lakers) are struggling. All eyes are on Westwood.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
Every time I jump back on this site to see how things are going, it's miserable posts like this that remind me why I tens to stay away. We just retained the National Coach of the Year. Why on Earth can you not just be happy about that?

What I want to see is ho much of a bump he got for his assistants. That was supposedly what it was all about. If they got very little out of this, then it changes my outlook on Barnes a bit. It makes me wonder if he is a true VFL.
Here is your answer, he got his coaching staff free cinnamon rolls for life. BOOM 💥

There’s no way you can know this to be true.

It was the first Vols fan site to bring it up. There was some guy here pushing for Schiano 2-3 weeks prior to Schiano Sunday and the WA Post article was brought up then.....

We can agree to disagree on the impact but I'm 100% correct on the timing...

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Of course, it could be argued that they have continual bad coaching hires because they are no longer quite as attractive as they believe they are. Just look at their current coaching search.

I’m looking at you Tennessee football.

UCLA has 4 and 5 stars walking thru the door. One competent coach, and a good one at that, like Barnes turns it around and wins there easy.

There's a reason the likes of Oregon and Washington (this year) and Arizona are winning that conference year in and year out and it isn't because of a talent gap.

It was the first Vols fan site to bring it up. There was some guy here pushing for Schiano 2-3 weeks prior to Schiano Sunday and the WA Post article was brought up then.....

We can agree to disagree on the impact but I'm 100% correct on the timing...
You’re 100% correct on the timing of when that info was made known to you. There’s no way to know when the decision makers who aren’t on this board knew this info. Maybe they found out same as you but there’s no way you can know that to be 100% accurate.

UCLA has 4 and 5 stars walking thru the door. One competent coach, and a good one at that, like Barnes turns it around and wins there easy.

There's a reason the likes of Oregon and Washington (this year) and Arizona are winning that conference year in and year out and it isn't because of a talent gap.
Okay, but you didn’t address the point. Why are they having such a hard time attracting a good coach? And why have they had so many poor coaches over the past 20-30 years?

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Imagine thinking this........

I guess you would have preferred him leaving for UCLA and going thru out 4th coaching search in 8 years?

He was more than worth the money to establish continuity and a stable program. After all, he was hired to do that.
Notice the person you quoted is a Georgia fan, not a UT fan.

VN Store

Back