UT cancels classes

Dude are you forgetting your previous statements or something?
It’s not that big a deal. I assure you
I assure you Its a big deal when all major pro sports leagues and NCAA suspend operations, universities and K-12 schools send students home, the State Dept limits travel for Govt employees, the president of the USA declares a National Emergency due to the guidance coming from the CDC and actual health professionals.
I work at a level 1 trauma center and am pretty educated on the subject. And I know 100% that this frenzy is overblown and it’s not as big a deal as the media and Facebook experts are making it out to be
See above re frenzy being overblown. You don't take actions costing hundreds of millions of dollar on a whim or hunch or because Mark Zuckerburg said so.
Neither. I’m an executive manager. We get weekly (now biweekly) meetings with the Regional Health Coordinators and the CDC so I’m well aware of what’s going on with this issue.
Regional health coordinators are getting their info from the CDC.
What did your bi weekly call say when the President declared a National SOE because its not a big deal?
938 confirmed cases and 29 deaths in US. Most were the elderly in Washington. Everything is under control. The DHS/CISA just released update
So as long as its old people at risk its OK to not do anything? And before you go down the tired more ppl die from Flu routine there isn't a vaccine or treatment for COVID 19 at this time so they are relying on us to help them not get sick and die.
Not when it is way less than .01% morality for those under the age of 80%. More likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck
OK maybe your crystal ball is better than the WHO which says they don't know the actual because of difficulty compiling info at this point.
I’m not “do nothing” but im also not a volunteer firefighter freaking out and panicking over something that is being handled.
I'm genuinely curious when you make all these other statements I pointed out when you say "being handled" do you mean by the actions that are being taken declaring a SOE, cancelling classes, travel, et al... or is that the overreaction you are referencing. The above does say do nothing unless you are retracting your "overblown","not a big deal", "I know a 100%"... You don't know crap for 100% because even now there are several unknowns with this virus unless you are talking about overreaction by buying TP and then I agree. I have not freaked out and panicked about anything I would ask you to point to something I said that represents that, but having a father and father in law in the high risk category I am heeding the CDC guidance to keep them safe. You made a tongue in cheek comment re 45 rolls of TP and I can tell you that's not at the top of my list but being prepared for things like this and hurricanes with my own self sufficient basics are. I also go spend the night at our station (only 5 miles from my home) when we have inclement weather to be prepared to respond more quickly if my community needs me. It cuts down on the response time to help those in need and I see that as a microcosm of whats going on with CoronaV but I guess that's an overreaction by your standard?

Google binning and re-bin that data. You can now compare and see. You do not even have to do that, look at a rough age group and see how, say for people under 49. The two data points are not even on same level to need such binning. COVID is 10x more fatal than FLU in almost all categories. How do you think one can 'massage' that data and show otherwise ? You can only massage the data in this case if you had comparable values on each side.

For all ages under 49, if you add up both pictures (you can assume uniform population distribution or weight any population group however you think is appropriate), you will see that highest mortality possible for FLU is 0.06% while lowest mortality possible for COVID is 0.2%. Worst case scenario from this data for FLU vs Best Case for COVID from this data is still 3 times lower.
Now do all 50 and older, Worst case for FLU gets you 0.83 while just 50-59 i COVID is almost twice that. You Add 60-69 it becomes 4 times that (assuming normal population distribution). and add older folks easliy goes to 10x. No matter how you play with the data, FLU is almost 3-10x lower fatal that COVID.
Further, you do not even need a binning or category to see that over all spectrum COVID is an order of magnitude fatal that FLU on normal comparisons from chart. If you really can't fathom that fact from that chart, please ask UT for refund (or what ever school you went to).
youre arguing against 0.2% and 0.06% I think I've extended as much energy as I wish to here

They do so AFTER there is evidence of a local outbreak.... not before. The University of Missouri has suspended classes as well. There are TWO confirmed cases in the WHOLE STATE... and they cancelled classes. One was in Springfield and the other in St Louis. Both victims had traveled.... neither to Columbia.

Within the first six months of H1N1 when Obama was President, 3,900 people died in the US alone. The federal government in fact DID react slowly and poorly. School wasn't cancelled. Sporting events weren't cancelled. The media didn't create a stock market panic.

So you think we should allow the outbreak to occur BEFORE taking steps to contain it? If you have legitimate reason to think that if you put your hand in a wood-chipper you'd experience, shall we say, less than optimal results, you're OK with not putting a guard on it until someone does it? Well, that's just silly.....

This thing is here. And, as much as you want to ignore it, people die from it. There is no vaccine for it. The only way to contain it right now is to do what's being done. As I'm typing this I just saw on the news that your TWO cases have become TWENTY. How many more have to become infected and spread this thing who knows where, to who knows who (and who THEY'LL spread it to) before you think it's a "thing"? Genuine question, I'd like to know the number.

Once this thing has a vaccine odds are it'll become endemic and, hopefully, herd immunity will apply. And then? We'll treat it like we do the flu now. We'll adapt just like we always do.

Until that happens, why wouldn't you take reasonable, common-sense steps to prevent something nasty from spreading?

Last edited:
I suspect you are correct when you state, "IF we were testing as much as South Koreans, our cases would be drastically higher than what they are" (now). Why? Because the vast majority of those getting the virus, get sick for about 24 hours (like the 24-48 hour bug), and don't even know they had the woowhoon virus. I do believe the USA's official death toll numbers. The more testing that is done, drives the death rate down-way down. When you say you agree that red china's data is unreliable, that is one of the biggest Understatements of all time!!! Car fatalities while steady are huge, to dismiss over 100 Americans every single day, because the numbers are "steady", is sad. If it doesn't fit your narrative, you're willing to overlook over a 100 daily deaths-this is too woke for me.

There were 42,000 car accident fatalities in 2001 compared to only 3,000 in terrorist attacks, but people react stronger to statistical anomalies and we’re about to have a similar spike in cases and deaths, except instead of hospitals in Lower Manhattan being overwhelmed, it’ll be hospitals all over the USA.

That the state of Washington had to buy an Econo Lodge for hospital patients is a harbinger of what’s to come. I don’t know if you’ve ever been treated in hospitals outside of the USA, but we already have extremely long waiting times due to being understaffed. The longest I’ve had to wait in the USA is over a month. The longest I’ve ever waited in Asia is less than a half hour. They have a lot of manpower and equipment. Our hospitals don’t.

I hope you’re right and that the medical doctors are wrong. That would be so wonderful. I’m not as optimistic as you are. We’re about to find out, and I really hope you’re right.

Last edited:
If you take a global look at this, the worst thing is for people to shrink and hide from it. Even if successful in moving the entire population to avoid it, you only allow the virus to mutate, get stronger, and be an even bigger killer when it finally hits the population.

IMO, better to let it run its course and allow the younger population to start building the proper antibodies to fight it. (The elderly and infirm should take stronger precautions.)

FWIW, I’m on vacation in a popular cruise destination this week an will be exposed to passengers from 14 cruise ships. Whatever will be...will be.
You are going to be in a military camp for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
It was announced that all classes would be converted to online only until at least April 3rd. Also, all UT events of 50+ would be canceled until at least April 5th.

Anyone know what this means for Spring Practice?

practice at home?

There were 42,000 car accident fatalities in 2001 compared to only 3,000 in terrorist attacks, but people react stronger to statistical anomalies and we’re about to have a similar spike in cases and deaths, except instead of hospitals in Lower Manhattan being overwhelmed, it’ll be hospitals all over the USA.

That the state of Washington had to buy an Econo Lodge for hospital patients is a harbinger of what’s to come. I don’t know if you’ve ever been treated in hospitals outside of the USA, but we already have extremely long waiting times due to being understaffed. The longest I’ve had to wait in the USA is over a month. The longest I’ve ever waited in Asia is less than a half hour. They have a lot of manpower and equipment. Our hospitals don’t.

I hope you’re right and that the medical doctors are wrong. That would be so wonderful. I’m not as optimistic as you are. We’re about to find out, and I really hope you’re right.
You are so incorrect. The majority of Our hospitals especially Level 1 trauma centers are staffed fine. The difference in Asia is you don’t have homeless, illegals, drug addicts, psych patients, GSW gang victims, and people coming to ED for tooth pain and sore toes clogging up the system

Reactions: I40flyer
Damn that is even worse than what I saw. So about a 30% mortality rate?

We definitely need to take precautions.
This post is why we have panic, the same smart folks that figured Bloomberg could have given every American $1,000,000! BTW, maybe calculated utilizing woke math, you are correct; however, utilizing real math, 29 does NOT equal 281.4. Please check your meds, you maybe taking far toooooo much!!!!!

Doctors in Italy are so overwhelmed by covid-19 patients that they are developing protocols to decide who receives treatment and who is left to die untreated. Some people here are losing what little credibility they have left

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really sad so many Chinese citizens went to Italy after being infected with the coronavirus, thankfully our leadership put a travel ban in place so early. I'm betting those that were totally against the ban on day one, aren't screeching as loudly about it today!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really sad so many Chinese citizens went to Italy after being infected with the coronavirus, thankfully our leadership put a travel ban in place so early. I'm betting those that were totally against the ban on day one, aren't screeching as loudly about it today!

Where did you read so many Chinese citizens went to Italy after being infected?

Where did you read so many Chinese citizens went to Italy after being infected?
You shouldn't have any problem googling it yourself, over 300,000 Red Chinese nationals live in Italy, 5,000,000/year flock in as tourists. As there are so many sites with the info, may I suggest the BBC. I use the common phrase Red China, as their are two china's, one free, one commie. I'm not referring to Taiwan aka Free China.

You shouldn't have any problem googling it yourself, over 300,000 Red Chinese nationals live in Italy, 5,000,000/year flock in as tourists. As there are so many sites with the info, may I suggest the BBC.

And bc ppl from China live in and visit Italy, you surmise that’s why it got so bad in Italy, got it.

And bc ppl from China live in and visit Italy, you surmise that’s why it got so bad in Italy, got it.
How funnneeee! Good joke! Of course, the answer is, because large numbers of people from china pour into Italy, far more than other EU countries, and many the Chinese tourists were among the first to get sick, and as they originated from the epicenter of the pandemic, most can connect the dots, in fact that is what the health professionals are doing-connecting the dots. The dots are the sick, to those that are not sick. Hope this helps, you seem to be a little confused. Of course you did not look it up on the net-as you would have been able to read (for hours) about this very situation, again may I suggest the BBC????

They suspect Chinese tourists may have brought it into Rome, as they know of at least two that were infected while visiting Rome. However, the outbreak in the northern province (Milan) was genetically different from what they had. So, no one knows how long or when the exposures actually started. Italy responded too casually and has paid a hellacious price.

Saw where Jack Ma (founder of Alibaba) is donating 500,000 test kits to the US, waiting for Alex Jones to say they are either kits that include the virus or have embedded software that will hack your iPhone. Then he will direct you to a link to buy his CoronaVirus-curing toothpaste.

How funnneeee! Good joke! Of course, the answer is, because large numbers of people from china pour into Italy, far more than other EU countries, and many the Chinese tourists were among the first to get sick, and as they originated from the epicenter of the pandemic, most can connect the dots, in fact that is what the health professionals are doing-connecting the dots. The dots are the sick, to those that are not sick. Hope this helps, you seem to be a little confused. Of course you did not look it up on the net-as you would have been able to read (for hours) about this very situation, again may I suggest the BBC????

So it’s sad that Chinese ppl travel?

Bc that’s not why it’s so bad in Italy. It’s because they were slow to react and they have one of the oldest populations in the world. Also why they have the highest mortality rate. Not bc Chinese ppl traveled there.

I believe a lot of these countries were first infected from their own citizens traveling abroad and bringing it back here.

You can read all about it on the net.

Reactions: J C Higgins
Yeah except there's no way the existing internet infrastructure can handle all of the businesses and schools going to online video. There's simply not the capacity to handle all of this.
😂😂. My first time hearing that take. Good stuff.

This post reminds me of of the Southpark episode when the internet went out, and they sent Kyle to fix it, and "The internet" was just one big giant linksys router. I think some people believe that.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
😂😂. My first time hearing that take. Good stuff.

This post reminds me of of the Southpark episode when the internet went out, and they sent Kyle to fix it, and "The internet" was just one big giant linksys router. I think some people believe that.
Laughable... I worked in telecom managing engineers in a 14 state area out west and I do. Do you understand how copper and line control modules work? There are lots of counties in N.C. and tenn that have not seen fiber other than between a remote office and a CO and even that’s about 60% last time I checked. Where I am any type of streaming is out of the question on a snow day Because of the limited bandwidth transfer speed between offices due to constriction. Ever wonder why you can’t make a cell call when you have a regional emergency? Bandwidth Same thing happens when people are trying to work at home and go to school online.

Laughable... I worked in telecom managing engineers in a 14 state area out west and I do. Do you understand how copper and line control modules work? There are lots of counties in N.C. and tenn that have not seen fiber other than between a remote office and a CO and even that’s about 60% last time I checked. Where I am any type of streaming is out of the question on a snow day Because of the limited bandwidth transfer speed between offices due to constriction. Ever wonder why you can’t make a cell call when you have a regional emergency? Bandwidth Same thing happens when people are trying to work at home and go to school online.
You don't need to stream live content to watch pre recorded lectures... Meaning you need no more than a 200 kb/s download speed to keep up with school.

If you can't even manage that, sure, you are SOL. But that wasn't what the post said. It said moving classes online would kill internet bandwidth. Which is an actual joke. The majority of this country has a massive surplus of bandwidth at the moment, and it's growing rapidly. The fact that I can access the internet in Neyland with 90k other people is a testament of that. Even in areas with less access, online school content requires early 2000s level data speeds at a time of day when there is little bandwidth demand.

Every school in the country, including high schools, could move the curriculum online, and it would be literally nothing in comparison to the bandwidth used to stream Netflix and YouTube at 6:00 pm on any Sunday.

Not gonna do the math, but I would venture to say every student in America could watch their lectures online and it would account for <10% of what we see on YouTube right now.

You don't need to stream live content to watch pre recorded lectures... Meaning you need no more than a 200 kb/s download speed to keep up with school.

If you can't even manage that, sure, you are SOL. I moved from Raleigh Durham area where I had +20GBPS and moved a little over an hour away and have 1.5GBPS during low usage and during those high usage periods less than 100Kbps occasionally under 50kbps with Spectrum. But that wasn't what the post said. It said moving classes online would kill internet bandwidth. Fair enough and it is a matter of semantics actual internet bandwidth vs transmission of data bandwidth. In areas of poor speed due to their distance from a CO or remote office the amount of data reqd for static download (of pre recorded lectures not live) will still be extremely slow or drop out. When I was my area and alot of the 14 state area I was responsible for out west which included Colorado, Arizona and Washington State. In the Denver Metro area, Aspen,Steamboat, COLO springs, all have great High speed cable/fiber AND telco equipment due to demand and the fact its owned by Qwest Communications who was on the forefront of high speed upgrades. But go to Rifle, Colorado and they still have small copper infrastructure and a lot of Analog equipment serving their customers because its owned by a mom and pop telco providing the service. This equals Slowwwwwwwww download/upload speeds even for static data.
I was pointing out the error of what I thought you answered, not your factually correct response for that specific statement for that I apologize and you are mostly correct.
Which is an actual joke. Not gonna thoroughly explain the whole garden hose /firehouse analogy with regards to data transfer but I will if you cant find it. Bandwidth generally refers to the amount of data (and speed with which) that data can move down a tube ( twisted pair, copper XM, or fiber). The majority of this country has a massive surplus of bandwidth at the moment, and it's growing rapidly. In major metro areas you are absolutely correct as result of Google fiber, ATT world and other high speed initiatives. It is not growing rapidly in rural areas I can assure you. AT&T has been saying the will install fiber in our area for the past 5 years but the math just doesn't make it feasible yet (There are 3 houses on the 1 mile road I live on and my neighbor and I own approx .8 miles of that road frontage which means no new houses). There is no way they will get a return on their money unless the FCC mandates it at some point in the future. The fact that I can access the internet in Neyland with 90k other people is a testament of that. Even in areas with less access, online school content requires early 2000s level data speeds at a time of day when there is little bandwidth demand. IIRC I'm gonna say 3-4 years ago before the upgrades to equipment that the school paid for that was not the case. Again In a major metro area with fiber to a CO and upgraded cell equip(4 or 5G) or Cisco Boosters and repeaters. There will be a whole lot of bandwidth demand with Parents working from home and kids trying to access work as well and places in rural areas just wont work. The bigger problem (not related to your reference to bandwidth) is gonna be about a 1/3 of the students in my county do not have a computer at home. According to the update I got last night from the principal of our local Elementary who also sits on the board for our fire dept. Our local library satellite office has two computers but no way to get the kids there (no buses running). She has some significant challenges.

Every school in the country, including high schools, could move the curriculum online, and it would be literally nothing in comparison to the bandwidth used to stream Netflix and YouTube at 6:00 pm on any Sunday.

Not gonna do the math, but I would venture to say every student in America could watch their lectures online and it would account for <10% of what we see on YouTube right now.
I apologize if for the tone I took last night and I appreciate your response sorry for the long diatribe above. Bandwidth means something different to me than maybe what you were responding to. If you take the time to read the above maybe I made myself a little clearer. Have a great day.

Reactions: JuicyBrucey
youre arguing against 0.2% and 0.06% I think I've extended as much energy as I wish to here
I am not surprised you are quitting again like that College Algebra class lol.

Those numbers make a big difference based on sample size. I am showing that one sides best case versus other sides worst case still is 3 times higher. 0.2% vs 0.06% makes a big difference in deaths when population of impacted Americans could be 40-50% of 300 million. Anyways, I am sure you wont get that point as it was obvious from you apparent lack of chart reading skills. LOL !!

It was announced that all classes would be converted to online only until at least April 3rd. Also, all UT events of 50+ would be canceled until at least April 5th.

Anyone know what this means for Spring Practice?
Now it has been extended, online for the rest of the spring semester, all events canceled including graduation

VN Store

Back