UT cancels classes

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is seriously smarter and more informed about this than ANYONE in this forum, says the death rate from this is 10 times that of the flu. In an average year 20,000 people in the US die from the flu. So that means that we can expect 200,000+ deaths from this in the US. That's a substantial number assuming the same rate of transmittal. BUT there is typically an effective flu vaccine for each flu season that inhibits the spread of the disease. There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at this time so the question now is what will the rate of transmittal be.

What do you do in the absence of an effective vaccine, you reduce the opportunities for large group transmission.

You need to stop trying to make this a political issue and listen to the science. If you think the science on this is political, you're deserving of a Darwin Award.
Dr Fauci did NOT say there will be 200k US deaths and if you believe this, you are a moron.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is seriously smarter and more informed about this than ANYONE in this forum, says the death rate from this is 10 times that of the flu. In an average year 20,000 people in the US die from the flu. So that means that we can expect 200,000+ deaths from this in the US. That's a substantial number assuming the same rate of transmittal. BUT there is typically an effective flu vaccine for each flu season that inhibits the spread of the disease. There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at this time so the question now is what will the rate of transmittal be.

What do you do in the absence of an effective vaccine, you reduce the opportunities for large group transmission.

You need to stop trying to make this a political issue and listen to the science. If you think the science on this is political, you're deserving of a Darwin Award.
I'm sure he means well but the numbers do not quite back that up yet. Plus, you are talking about the start of a disease. Treatment and avoidance are just now being understood which will drive the mortality rate down. You also have to consider that the flu isn't just one variety. Some strains are far more deadly than others.

COVID-19 is closely related to SARS. It spreads more easily and quickly but isn't nearly as deadly.

The point is there have been MANY outbreaks that didn't generate this much panic or overreaction. Some more deadly. Some that infected more people. This is a POLITICAL ploy that got out of hand. Now the panic is so widespread that people are doing profoundly stupid things out of fear of being blamed for spreading the disease.

If we're doing this for this particular illness... then look at all the others that should have us all living like hermits.

https://infobeautiful2.s3.amazonaws.com/svg_microbescope.svg

Your numbers are great. Lets forget this little bug.... Wonder why China, where it supposedly sprang from, have been so concerned as to "drop the hammer" on their country and do so much to contain the effects? Makes you wonder if they know more about this problem than they are saying. Like we let this bug get loose from a development lab. Oh, bye the way, how did Italy get so infested so badly so early and far from the center of infection??

I have no idea what is going on in China now, nor do I think we have an accurate picture of what has ever been going there throughout this process. They have complete control of their media.

I further don't fully understand the extent of what is going on in Italy.

But those things are irrelevant. I'm staring at a thermometer which clearly states the temperature is 85. My phone weather app concurs. However, a dude just walked by in a parka so I'm really worried I may die of hypothermia dressed only in my shorts and t-shirt.

Your assertion is: "People are panicking, even governments, so this has to be bad."

My numbers don't lie. They are irrefutable. Refute them if you can. 1% died on the cruise. All of them in the at-risk group.

Enjoy the t-shirt. Unless you're cold natured, then don the parka. Or better yet, self-isolate, which is what I would do if I was at risk.

We have the same problem every flu season. So what's the difference here? Are we going to start shutting down every year the season rolls around? Around a minimum of 10,000 to upwards of 60,000 die every year from the flu with almost all of them aged with other ailments or compromised immune systems. So why now is everyone so concerned? The virulence of influenza is about .2% mortality rate and for the corona virus, as of right now, is at .4%. This means around 1 death per 500 for the flu vs 1 death per 250 for corona. However, the flu virus almost affects at 5 times the rate. This panic has driven down markets and people have lost savings over a hysteria. It has a purpose. This is all about getting government more involved and placing blame, period.
As of March 3rd the WHO estimates Covid 19 to have a 3.4% mortality rate, not .4%

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
1918 Flu epidemic. Read up on it. My Mom is 85 with 3 caregivers including myself. I am very concerned about her welfare in the next few months. Am I close to being in a situation very soon where I cannot risk them coming over anymore ? The first case in The immediate area of Bristol/Abingdon was confirmed last night. I expect dozens or hundreds of cases In This area within the next couple of weeks.
Just got off the phone with my mom... she and I are primary caregivers for my father with Alzheimer’s in his late 70s. Gave very specific directions to her about saturation / sanitization discipline for any of the 4 or so healthcare / hospice workers that come into their home for my dad. I was in the “ this is an over reaction” camp two days ago but between my wife who had 30 years in pharmacological research, her professional colleagues she is discussing with, and my own reading the only way so slow down the spread is to be hyper vigilant re social contact.
Already had a coming to Jesus phone conversation with one of the nurses who insisted she sanitized her medical kit and monitors before she came in that she was gonna humor us by doing it again right now under our eyes Before she touched my dad. As Reagan said trust but verify!

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Even if mortality rate is 4%, expected corona cases of 50,000 gives deaths at 2,000. MUCH lower than annual flu deaths each year averaging 17,000.

Not surprised to see the normal whackos that are wrong about everything else downplaying this.

This is not the flu.
ESYflxEXkAUUuS3

I like how you threw in the death rate is about 10 times that of the flu which his about equal to saying it's about as likely for you to die from coronavirus as from a bear attack. As another poster stated above the mortality rate is actually inflated by the fact that a lot of people get it and don't go for the treatment they just recover on their own. Last time ia checked numbers mortality rate was something like 3.5%. That's right up there with undercooked pork chops.
THIS! GBO! And more than likely closer to 1 percent if you factored that group in.

It pays not to be an 80 yr old Chinese National I guess 😂
What does ethnicity have to do with this? You realize this is from the US and China right? Not surprising you seem to be misinformed. This affects all races equally.

Age is a huge factor. I'm not old but I would imagine a lot of family members and school staff are.

What does ethnicity have to do with this? You realize this is from the US and China right? Not surprising you seem to be misinformed. This affects all races equally.

Age is a huge factor. I'm not old but I would imagine a lot of family members and school staff are.
I work at a level 1 trauma center and am pretty educated on the subject. And I know 100% that this frenzy is overblown and it’s not as big a deal as the media and Facebook experts are making it out to be

Not surprised to see the normal whackos that are wrong about everything else downplaying this.

This is not the flu.
ESYflxEXkAUUuS3
You ARE a fundamentally dishonest person. You just compared US flu related deaths to Chinese deaths from a newly discovered virus.

Not surprising that you would distort these "stats" too. In 1,300+ US confirmed cases, 38 people have died. Thirty of those fatalities occurred in Washington State. At least 26 of those were in a single nursing home. Most if not all of those victims were over 70... which pretty much disproves the conclusion you draw from this graph.

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?
That is a really dump statement. How many people over 60 will a student come in contact with. Maybe your parents or grandparents?

VN Store

Back