UT cancels classes

It was announced that all classes would be converted to online only until at least April 3rd. Also, all UT events of 50+ would be canceled until at least April 5th.

Anyone know what this means for Spring Practice?

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?

College students sometimes spend time with their elders, especially grandparents.
Most of them wouldn't want to carry the virus home with them for that reason.

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?
. The risk is too high of a ton of college students getting this and giving it to older people who then die. Remember alot of UT’s biggest donors are old people

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.

The death rate is of reported cases. There are probably 3 or more times that that get infected and have minor symptoms or almost none at all and don't go to the doctor or get tested.

This^, And a lot of faculty and staff are in the age group most affected by the illness. Honestly, if you’re not taking this seriously at this point, you’re wrong. Pandemic isn’t a word we use lightly.

The death rate is of reported cases. There are probably 3 or more times that that get infected and have minor symptoms or almost none at all and don't go to the doctor or get tested.
Maybe but we can only go on what is known a this time. We also know a very small number have been actually tested and the spread may be much larger than the reported numbers. One of the concerns i have is the incubation period is up to 20 days before you show symptoms so you spread it unknowingly.

Maybe but we can only go on what is known a this time. We also know a very small number have been actually tested and the spread may be much larger than the reported numbers. One of the concerns i have is the incubation period is up to 20 days before you show symptoms so you spread it unknowingly.

This is true. Soon enough this vaccine will likely be lumped in with the seasonal flu shot for at risk people.

I like how you threw in the death rate is about 10 times that of the flu which his about equal to saying it's about as likely for you to die from coronavirus as from a bear attack. As another poster stated above the mortality rate is actually inflated by the fact that a lot of people get it and don't go for the treatment they just recover on their own. Last time ia checked numbers mortality rate was something like 3.5%. That's right up there with undercooked pork chops.

It was announced that all classes would be converted to online only until at least April 3rd. Also, all UT events of 50+ would be canceled until at least April 5th.

Anyone know what this means for Spring Practice?

What does that mean if the basketball team makes the NIT? No games at TBA?

Maybe they should stop classes every winter...we wouldn’t want anybody spreading the deadly influenza virus, either.

SMDH!!

So..... What's your response?

Just let it go?

How many people have to die because of unnecessary vectoring?

One? Two? Someone in your family??

Please consider that this will help prevent spreading something that may not affect you but may affect someone else.

Once there's a vaccine you'll have a point. Until then this is the only way of preventing spread.

VN Store

Back