UT cancels classes

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?
Because those kids have parents and grandparents they don't want to die? Maybe that's it?

Jesus. The "This is just media panic" mindset of y'all is absurd. I guess the Italian government is over blowing it too. China welding people inside houses is just an over reaction.

The fact of the matter is it is an exponential growth and there is no vaccine. Slowing the spread of the virus until such time that changes is the responsible thing to do.

You are too much, man. Emotional reactions, apples-to-oranges comparisons, even some political rhetoric.

You can’t compare this to Opiod OD deaths. First of all, you can’t die from an overdose if you aren’t taking drugs. So anyone at risk has put themselves at risk. Also, it’s “Wuhan.”
Okay, let's not talk about those that kill themselves with opioids, how about those that die from the FLU, Auto accidents, etc., they weren't trying to get dead, any more than those that have gotten the Wooohon virus.

Because those kids have parents and grandparents they don't want to die? Maybe that's it?

Jesus. The "This is just media panic" mindset of y'all is absurd. I guess the Italian government is over blowing it too. China welding people inside houses is just an over reaction.

The fact of the matter is it is an exponential growth and there is no vaccine. Slowing the spread of the virus until such time that changes is the responsible thing to do.
Are you advocating we weld people inside houses, after we quarantine the area? Your admiration for Red China's way of handling things is troublesome.

Reactions: krichunaka
No politics-just facts, Opioid epidemic (pandemic) kills 60,000-70,000 AMERICANS every year , last year over 60,000 AMERICANS died from the FLU, 40,000 AMERICANS died in auto accidents last year, about 75,000AMERICANS died from alcoholism last year, again I say, I do not accept preventable deaths (so many people do) I just save my outrage for the big killer first-then work my way down the list. When people who claim they are all upset over preventable deaths-but don't want to address the preventable deaths with really high numbers, I think they are either, stupid, or very poorly informed, or their outrage is actually politically minded-and they could care less about preventable deaths.
Do you want to actually know the difference, or just rant?

There are no externalities to death by opioid overdose. Person A dying from opioid overdose will not cause Person B to die by opioid overdose.

It's basic probability to suggest that a pandemic that is a casual chain between deaths is both easier and more important to solve than a "pandemic" where the deaths are mutually exclusive.

Are you advocating we weld people inside houses, after we quarantine the area? Your admiration for Red China's way of handling things is troublesome.
No. I think something between the two is appropriate. Somewhere between doing nothing and welding people inside...

Something like... Preventing large gatherings and moving classes online.

Breaking: all players are required to practice remotely. They'll stay in their dorms and do leadership reps
If someone in the AD could find some copies of that great book, written by boy butch, CHAMPIONS OF LIFE, it may make for some good reading material-it's only three pages, and most of those have photos of boy butch handling bricks......

The death rate is of reported cases. There are probably 3 or more times that that get infected and have minor symptoms or almost none at all and don't go to the doctor or get tested.
Yes. The death rate is TOTALLY unknown at this time. To say that the death rate is more than that of the flu is irresponsible.

Reactions: I40flyer
No. I think something between the two is appropriate. Somewhere between doing nothing and welding people inside...

Something like... Preventing large gatherings and moving classes online.
I guess "large gatherings" would include the average class size, if so, what about spring training? I was in Costco the other day, there were a lot of people in the store shopping, should the store keep out customers? How many would you let out of prison? Should we disband the military for a while-send everyone home? Where would you stop it?

Reactions: krichunaka
I like how you threw in the death rate is about 10 times that of the flu which his about equal to saying it's about as likely for you to die from coronavirus as from a bear attack. As another poster stated above the mortality rate is actually inflated by the fact that a lot of people get it and don't go for the treatment they just recover on their own. Last time ia checked numbers mortality rate was something like 3.5%. That's right up there with undercooked pork chops.

Except people in East TN greatly misuse the term "flu", often calling every cold "the flu".

And 12,000 - 60,000 people die every year from the flu in the US. 10 times 60,000 is 600,000. Which I think would double or triple the number of deaths in the US in a year.

Even 1 in 500 odds of dying is pretty high (that's the estimated fatality rate for someone 20 - 40). Unless you're one of those kids that does parkour from tall buildings, there's probably nothing you'll do this year with a 1 in 500 chance of death. And the odds for people 60 - 70 are about 1 in 28 of dying; odds for 70 - 80 are about 1 in 12.

And no, bear attacks are not that likely. There were 25 deaths from bear attacks from 1997 - 2017. With the US population over 300 million. So that's a death rate of something like 1 in 200+ million. 1 in 500 is nowhere close to 1 in 200 million.

Too many people are either totally panicking or being totally dismissive. Neither of those is good. People need to be prepared; this is a serious thing; you probably won't die, but the number of people dying this year is going to be higher than any recent year on record. Our hospital system is going to be strained to the max this year.

Last edited:
The problem is this is a very contagious virus. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, it has a long incubation period, and can be transmitted before anyone even knows they have it. With universities cancelling classes and converting to online, you can possibly slow the spread, and as much as we all enjoy sporting events, in the grand scheme of things, the most important thing is the health of our people. Let's keep it in perspective.

No politics-just facts, Opioid epidemic (pandemic) kills 60,000-70,000 AMERICANS every year , last year over 60,000 AMERICANS died from the FLU, 40,000 AMERICANS died in auto accidents last year, about 75,000AMERICANS died from alcoholism last year, again I say, I do not accept preventable deaths (so many people do) I just save my outrage for the big killer first-then work my way down the list. When people who claim they are all upset over preventable deaths-but don't want to address the preventable deaths with really high numbers, I think they are either, stupid, or very poorly informed, or their outrage is actually politically minded-and they could care less about preventable deaths.

Oh boy.... So much fail in this I don't know where to start but here goes.....

Opioids. Big problem. No denying that. HOWEVER, how many of those people addicted to opioids became dependent THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN! Answer? D****ed few. (You want to argue fault in over-prescription by physicians? Another time.). Auto accidents? Cars are as safe as we can make them (for now). The flu? More people need to be vaccinated but deaths are going to occur. Again (as I've said several times before) vaccination is the best we can do. It's not 100% effective but...... ONCE YOU'VE DONE THE BEST YOU CAN IT'S OUT OF YOUR HANDS!! For now? CoVid has NO vaccine! There WILL be one (of this I have no doubt) but it won't be 100% effective. Very little is.

Until there's a vaccine preventing the spread is the best we can do!!!! It's not rocket-surgery FFS.

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.[/QUOTE.
Where are you getting your “Facts”? Reason why I asked is John Hopkins Medical institute Facts are little different. According to John Hopkins there is only 60,000 cases world wide that are currently active. Meaning the other 60,000 or so have been treated/recovered. There is a running up to date tracker on there website. According to them the death rate of the Covid 19 is around 3.4% in the world currently. But the flu has killed 20,000+ plus this year so far and over 70,000+ last year. 90,000 people dead in jsut the U.S last 2 years. 90,000 compared to 4,000 deaths is a little different.

Except people in East TN greatly misuse the term "flu", often calling every cold "the flu".

And 12,000 - 60,000 people die every year from the flu in the US. 10 times 60,000 is 600,000. Which I think would double or triple the number of deaths in the US in a year.

Even 1 in 500 odds of dying is pretty high (that's the estimated odds for someone 20 - 40). Unless you're one of those kids that does parkour from tall buildings, there's probably nothing you'll do this year with a 1 in 500 chance of death. And the odds for people 60 - 70 are about 1 in 28 of dying; odds for 70 - 80 are about 1 in 12.

And no, bear attacks are not that likely. There were 25 deaths from bear attacks from 1997 - 2017. With the US population over 300 million. So that's a death rate of something like 1 in 200+ million. 1 in 500 is nowhere close to 1 in 200 million.

Too many people are either totally panicking or being totally dismissive. Neither of those is good. People need to be prepared; this is a serious thing; you probably won't die, but the number of people dying this year is going to be higher than any recent year on record.

Are you saying that the number/100,000 of Americans (Americans only) that die in 2020 will be statistically higher than in 2019? We've had less than 100 deaths do to the Wooohon virus and we're in March, how many more deaths from the Wooohon virus do you expect, how big an increase in the %/100,000 do you anticipate?

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.

There you go spoiling the thread with facts and rational thinking😎

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.
It’s not that big a deal. I assure you

Reactions: I40flyer
Are you saying that the number/100,000 of Americans (Americans only) that die in 2020 will be statistically higher than in 2019? We've had less than 100 deaths do to the Wooohon virus and we're in March, how many more deaths from the Wooohon virus do you expect, how big an increase in the %/100,000 do you anticipate?
I’m curious. Is there some reason that you keep misspelling Wuhan as “Wooohon”? Can we call you I75driver or something?

So your saying the Covid - 19 is 10% deadly than the flu. Well let’s see. 20,000 people have been killed this year from the flu so by your logic your saying Covid 19 has killed 200,000 then. Truth is Covid 19 has 125,000 total cases confirmed which 60,000 or so are actually current and the others have been treated or recovered. And latest count by John Hopkins institute the death number is little above 4,000 world wide. Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

I like how you threw in the death rate is about 10 times that of the flu which his about equal to saying it's about as likely for you to die from coronavirus as from a bear attack. As another poster stated above the mortality rate is actually inflated by the fact that a lot of people get it and don't go for the treatment they just recover on their own. Last time ia checked numbers mortality rate was something like 3.5%. That's right up there with undercooked pork chops.

Fauci said it was 1% or less. You have a better chance of MH370 falling on your head than dying from this overblown media plague.

VN Store

Back