UT cancels classes

It’s nice there’s the capability to go to online now. Back in my day (74-78) we would have been screwed.
Yeah except there's no way the existing internet infrastructure can handle all of the businesses and schools going to online video. There's simply not the capacity to handle all of this.

this is getting incredibly... incredibly stupid.

Yes it is many more dieing from flu than this virus. Sounds like political to me. Not referring to ut, but the news media. I don't want anyone to die from this virus, but death rate is only like 3% and that includes the seniors. It appears the death rate among younger people is under 1%. And not heard of any deaths among healthy people. I think we should be cautious, but we all can't just stay at home and not work.

Last edited:
Yes. Very stupid. How many cases have been found in Tennessee? Not many.
Remember, we are only ~75 days in to this. Flu goes back to 400 BC and antibodies to it and we have 4 standard viral meds. No antibodies to this new disease. Also we don’t want a second viral disease to combat every year in addition to Flu so they are trying to prevent it now. Remember that we don’t know how this even mutates. In 1918, the problem was the mutation that happened 6 months later that no precautionary mesasures were ever taken which resulted in the mass of deaths. They are just trying to get out in front. Everyone complains until it impacts them. I am happy they are trying to get in front of this. Especially with my wife being a physician, I know how concerned she is which makes me take this more serious.

If we don't have a 100% of all Wuhon virus infections under control by aug/sep, should we play our games in empty stadiums? How many deaths/ 100,000 infections would be the cut off point? I'm asking the Woke experts.
Season would be canceled probaly

Yup..... But the infrastructure to make those changes was already in place. All that had to happen was a "tweak" of the existing vaccine.

There's nothing for CoVid right now.

ut has a vaccine now they think will stop it. It is currently going thru test.

lol

I was going to reply to the post you quoted, but gee, it’s not there any more.

I truly don’t care if some member here wants to call me a commie-lover.

If I had to call myself something, I’d call myself a humanity-lover. I was brought up by my church and by my US Army family to believe that every human is a creature of God and worthy of God’s love, and therefore of my own. And this love means that I should concern myself with the welfare of my fellow human beings, regardless of their appearance, their age, their religious or political beliefs, or the political regime under which they live.

A brilliant Christian poet living in England wrote, way the heck back in 1624:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.

Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

(The reference to the tolling of the bell means the ringing of the bells when someone died.)

ut has a vaccine now they think will stop it. It is currently going thru test.

I saw that!! And, DAMN, am I proud that UT is on the forefront of developing a vaccine for this. That's MY alma mater!!! Woohoo!

But.... We're still looking at a year (give or take) before there's a commercially available vaccine.

Yup..... But the infrastructure to make those changes was already in place. All that had to happen was a "tweak" of the existing vaccine.

There's nothing for CoVid right now.
Flu shot doesn’t cure the flu, so like the flu it’s about managing symptoms once you have it. By the time it’s figured out we will be into something else to worry about. Being blown so far out of reality.

How is death preventable?

Wow, I’m done. I see this as nothing more than a stronger strain of the flu. So, you and I will never see eye to eye on it. Better to just agree to disagree.
1918 Flu epidemic. Read up on it. My Mom is 85 with 3 caregivers including myself. I am very concerned about her welfare in the next few months. Am I close to being in a situation very soon where I cannot risk them coming over anymore ? The first case in The immediate area of Bristol/Abingdon was confirmed last night. I expect dozens or hundreds of cases In This area within the next couple of weeks.

Yes. And here in the Chicago area there are less than 50 cases and people are going berserk. 6 million people. Cancelled the St Patrick’s Day parades which is Saturday.

China population is 1.4 billion, so how many have had the virus?? What %?

I saw that!! And, DAMN, am I proud that UT is on the forefront of developing a vaccine for this. That's MY alma mater!!! Woohoo!

But.... We're still looking at a year (give or take) before there's a commercially available vaccine.

Well if this virus is as bad as many are thinking maybe we should bypass fda somehow to get it on the market.

1918 Flu epidemic. Read up on it. My Mom is 85 with 3 caregivers including myself. I am very concerned about her welfare in the next few months. Am I close to being in a situation very soon where I cannot risk them coming over anymore ? The first case in The immediate area of Bristol/Abingdon was confirmed last night. I expect dozens or hundreds of cases In This area within the next couple of weeks.
Our moms’ assisted living facility has now shut down all group trips by residents to the outside world, and all group visits by outsiders into the facility, meaning all the musicians, actors, storytellers, and dancers who perform and keep the residents happy and engaged. Families can only visit two at a time, and our temps will be taken before we’re allowed to enter. Last week, we could not visit at all, as Hubs had a cold.

I‘m now trying to figure how to set up a Facebook (ugh!!!) Portal in her room that she can use when we can’t visit. Since she is confused re how to use the remote for her TV, I’m pretty skeptical, but with luck, one of the phenomenal caretakers there can help. Still trying to figure out our options for my mother-in-law, who is mentally in much worse shape.

It’s the smart thing to do (restricting access), but so tragic, as family and social contact are so crucial to their health and well-being.

Good Lord. SMH.

VN Store

Back