UT cancels classes

Yup.... For now.

How many cases will it take before you consider it to be a problem in TN?

If you take a global look at this, the worst thing is for people to shrink and hide from it. Even if successful in moving the entire population to avoid it, you only allow the virus to mutate, get stronger, and be an even bigger killer when it finally hits the population.

IMO, better to let it run its course and allow the younger population to start building the proper antibodies to fight it. (The elderly and infirm should take stronger precautions.)

FWIW, I’m on vacation in a popular cruise destination this week an will be exposed to passengers from 14 cruise ships. Whatever will be...will be.

Reactions: cgrish
So..... What's your response?

Just let it go?

How many people have to die because of unnecessary vectoring?

One? Two? Someone in your family??

Please consider that this will help prevent spreading something that may not affect you but may affect someone else.

Once there's a vaccine you'll have a point. Until then this is the only way of preventing spread.

It is spreading regardless of the stupidity. You cannot stop it.

Have you considered how many people of advanced age those students might spread the infection to?

We have the same problem every flu season. So what's the difference here? Are we going to start shutting down every year the season rolls around? Around a minimum of 10,000 to upwards of 60,000 die every year from the flu with almost all of them aged with other ailments or compromised immune systems. So why now is everyone so concerned? The virulence of influenza is about .2% mortality rate and for the corona virus, as of right now, is at .4%. This means around 1 death per 500 for the flu vs 1 death per 250 for corona. However, the flu virus almost affects at 5 times the rate. This panic has driven down markets and people have lost savings over a hysteria. It has a purpose. This is all about getting government more involved and placing blame, period.

So..... What's your response?

Just let it go?

How many people have to die because of unnecessary vectoring?

One? Two? Someone in your family??

Please consider that this will help prevent spreading something that may not affect you but may affect someone else.

Once there's a vaccine you'll have a point. Until then this is the only way of preventing spread.

See my post above.... Yes, let it run its course.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
If you take a global look at this, the worst thing is for people to shrink and hide from it. Even if successful in moving the entire population to avoid it, you only allow the virus to mutate, get stronger, and be an even bigger killer when it finally hits the population.

IMO, better to let it run its course and allow the younger population to start building the proper antibodies to fight it. (The elderly and infirm should take stronger precautions.)

FWIW, I’m on vacation in a popular cruise destination this week an will be exposed to passengers from 14 cruise ships. Whatever will be...will be.

See the bold....

So what would you have folks do?? Run around spreading the thing?

Self quarantine sucks but what else can you do?

How else do you prevent the spread of a contagious disease otherwise?

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?
Teachers shouldn’t have to be exposed to it. Not to mention we are trying to control the virus so older people don’t get it.

Nothing wrong with doing online classes for a week or two.

See the bold....

So what would you have folks do?? Run around spreading the thing?

Self quarantine sucks but what else can you do?

How else do you prevent the spread of a contagious disease otherwise?

Treat it like they do when they get the flu.

Reactions: 508mikey
Nothing like people who are not in the medical fields, let alone being educated on a new virus that has no known treatments or cures to tell the medical profession how to handle the coronavirus. There may be an overreaction to the coronavirus, but it is always better than sorry. I'm sure everybody here would be more concerned if you knew that it could directly affect people that are important to you (parents, grandparents, ect.)

Treat it like they do when they get the flu.

Once there's a vaccine that's the way this thing is going to end up....

But until then you seem to be advocating for "CoVid Mary" to just run around spreading it at will.

I like how you threw in the death rate is about 10 times that of the flu which his about equal to saying it's about as likely for you to die from coronavirus as from a bear attack. As another poster stated above the mortality rate is actually inflated by the fact that a lot of people get it and don't go for the treatment they just recover on their own. Last time ia checked numbers mortality rate was something like 3.5%. That's right up there with undercooked pork chops.
The 10% came for Dr. Funci today. Director of the CDC. No I actually avoid uncooked pork chops. But that's just me.

Of course not!

But how many preventable deaths are acceptable to you?

How is death preventable?

Wow, I’m done. I see this as nothing more than a stronger strain of the flu. So, you and I will never see eye to eye on it. Better to just agree to disagree.

Reactions: 508mikey
Once there's a vaccine that's the way this thing is going to end up....

But until then you seem to be advocating for "CoVid Mary" to just run around spreading it at will.

This tells me you know nothing about how viruses run their course. The vaccine is going to fix it huh? There are no words.

Reactions: 508mikey and EZE

VN Store

Back