The Lane Kiffin Thread

Kiffin: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
He’s a better CEO program coach. Wouldn’t say Freeze is an actual better coach.

What Hugh did at Arkansas State, Ole Miss, and Liberty exceeds Lane's HC career at USC, UT, Raiders, FAU,and Ole miss so far. Maybe Lane has figured it out a little more since 2020 was his best coaching job to date.

1). Loss of scholarships
2). Stuck hiring Dooley.
We didn't get Dooley because coaches were scared of punishments from Kiffin. We got stuck with Dooley because the UT administration wouldn't conduct a serious coaching search.

Kiffin as HC. Lebby as Offensive Coordinator (brought from Ole Miss. And Steele as DC.
Hell yeah. Get Cromp Daddy back
Saying "get the old band back together" certainly creates the intriguing idea that CrompDaddy would join Kiffin's staff in some capacity.

Who was DC that year? I know he had Cheney as OC, but I can't remember the rest of the staff? I know I could google it, but anyone remember his staff when he was here the first time?

What Hugh did at Arkansas State, Ole Miss, and Liberty exceeds Lane's HC career at USC, UT, Raiders, FAU,and Ole miss so far. Maybe Lane has figured it out a little more since 2020 was his best coaching job to date.

Hard to compare. Lane took over a sanction riddled USC team. A really bad FAU and a bad Mississippi team.

Love the video of kiffin knocking crompton down. Reality is Kiffin is not coming back to Knoxville. we need to temper our expectations quite a bit and give the next guy a fair shot even when it’s an underwhelming hire.

Hard to compare. Lane took over a sanction riddled USC team. A really bad FAU and a bad Mississippi team.

Fair point. I think the NCAA stuff is one reason Kiffin wont entertain this job given his past at USC.

The NCAA excuses are a bit of a crutch for Kiffin at USC. That doesnt explain away a very poor 2010 performance especially with what he inherited. Obviously the NCAA stuff impacted the 2012 team so you really cant hold all of the poor performance that year against him.

Reactions: Franklin_Vol09
I'm not surprised Crompton would want him back. Kiffin turned him into a good quarterback.

Who was DC that year? I know he had Cheney as OC, but I can't remember the rest of the staff? I know I could google it, but anyone remember his staff when he was here the first time?

His father Monte Kiffin was the DC. In my opinion that did not work out that great (given he was a famous DC with many years in NFL expectations were very high).

He never even considered it.
He considered it enough to discuss with at least one coach the possibility of coming here.

There was a lot going on there. Impossible to say exactly how far along things went before they went sideways, but it wasn’t a total fantasy.

His father Monte Kiffin was the DC. In my opinion that did not work out that great (given he was a famous DC with many years in NFL expectations were very high).
Oh yeah. Duh. Blanked for a second. That year was a blur. But a good blur.

LOL you posted an opinion piece from probably 10 years ago. What penalties did we receive because of the recruiting violations?

Forget recruiting violations from 10 years ago for a second. Tennessee is facing backlash from brand spanking new ones. No matter how much you boys have wet dreams about Kiffin returning? If they were to try to bring him back,? It will be uglier than when he came up here with Alabama. You all gotta quit reading articles written by complete dumbasses. Dumbass= reporting Kiffin wants to return. That is just Kiffin being Kiffin, and dumbasses being dumb enough to write it.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
He is apparently still working for Lane - according to wikipedia employed as player personnel analyst at Ole Miss.

Monte to me is like Chavis. Good once, but not sure they're still relevant against today's offenses. But then again....not many people are fielding great defenses anymore. You can't hit anyone like you used to!

Reactions: norriscraftbasser
You hire Kiffin, the penalty will be worse. And if he steps outta line, look out.

Sorry, guys, he’s a great offensive coach. I enjoyed watching OM play this year but UT can’t go there. You’re just setting yourself up for heartbreak/pissed off. Move on.
Probably not wrong, but also the same rhetoric (not from you specifically) that kept telling us to accept the suck of CJP being here in 2021. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

The absurdity that so many are displaying in the delusional idea that we could just go and get Kiffin if we want him is astonishing. He is becoming the new Gruden.

We might as well start saying he owns land in East TN, claiming he’s on planes to Knoxville, that he’s enrolled his kids in school, etc.

There’s absolutely no chance Kiffin would take this current disaster of a job, especially considering the penalties that are coming. Especially when far better jobs are right around the corner.

We’re making ourselves look pathetic. Kiffin left here after one year and now many are desperate for him to come back. It’s like begging your ex-wife who very publicly dumped and humiliated you to come back.
Just shut up already. Kiffin is the best play caller in the SEC and they hung 35 on Bama this season. He would absolutely crush it coming back to Tennessee. And all of the people that are still chapped about him leaving will become unchapped when we are kicking Florida's butt and Georgia's butt. When he coached us against Bama we lost by a blocked field goal... the year that Bama won a national title. Kiffin all the way.

Monte to me is like Chavis. Good once, but not sure they're still relevant against today's offenses. But then again....not many people are fielding great defenses anymore. You can't hit anyone like you used to!

I mostly agree but I think the main issue is the talent these types of coaches have at their disposal. Chavis did a great job at LSU as well when he had the talent (that was not that long ago). We never saw what Monte could really do because our talent on the defense was a joke during that year he was here. The main issue with these older coaches is not necessarily that the game passes them by but that they can't effectively recruit at some point (either because they are lazy, don't have the energy, or kids don't want to play for such old coaches - whatever the reason the result is the production goes down but I don't think it's because there is something wrong with their schemes ...).

I have a conspiracy theory. The NCAA enforcement staff will NEVER admit it. But, I believe the NCAA put some extra juice into the penalties they levied on USCw because Mike Garrett had the gall to hire Kiffin while USCw was already under investigation.

I don’t know that Kiffin was dirtier than many other coaches. But, he was all over the news with his loud rebel act at UT, liked to publicly mock Commissioner Slive, rang up well publicized recruiting violations, etc. I think the NCAA felt USC and Garrett just didn’t “get it” with the Kiffin hire on top of their earlier violations. So they sent USC and others a message when it was time to levy sanctions.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGVol

VN Store

Back