The Lane Kiffin Thread

Kiffin: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just shut up already. Kiffin is the best play caller in the SEC and they hung 35 on Bama this season. He would absolutely crush it coming back to Tennessee. And all of the people that are still chapped about him leaving will become unchapped when we are kicking Florida's butt and Georgia's butt. When he coached us against Bama we lost by a blocked field goal... the year that Bama won a national title. Kiffin all the way.
Well you completely missed the point.

because he took his dream job. if your company gave u a new job that paid a ton of money and it was in an area that u wanted to live in, you would leave
No....I would be a man and stick to my commitment. But I never wanted him the first time.

Then you misunderstand the term. The burden of proof lies on the original claim. Which is that Kiffin would accept the job if offered.

Wrong. When I asked you to prove it here is what I was referring to.

You said, and I quote “no we couldn’t actually get him. It’s ridiculous.”

YOU made the claim. Now YOU have to prove it.

He deserves another

DW would sure love to bring his offensive mind back to K-Town, but Kiffin would have to prove that he's really matured to DW.

If White (DW) bites, I sure would make Kiffin sign a contract with a 15mil buyout clause to UT if another college or NFL team comes calling down the line.

That sure was a fun year (with swag) and would love to see Kiffin takedown FLA as the Vols HC.

Season was pretty good. Should have beat bama for sure. We won just not on scoreboard also the bowl game was abysmal effort

I don't miss the thugs he recruited or the drama daily

Reactions: HalfullVol
The Good of Kiffin:
1. Confidence. "Singing Rocky Top all night long after we beat Florida," and "I promise I will not lose to Georgia". I liked the swagger, and it translated to his teams.
2. Competitiveness. He beat Georgia 45-19, destroyed Spurrier and South Carolina 31-13. With the exception of the bowl game and Ole Miss (Dexter McCluster****), he lost the other games by no more than 10 points (lost by 10 points to #1 Florida, led by Tebow, lost by 2 points to #1 and eventual NC Bama, lost by 4 points to Auburn, and lost by 4 points to UCLA. All 6 of his losses were to teams that had a winning record that year.

3. Fun. The single best moment of Kiffin's tenure was the black uniforms at Halloween, as well as the "Crompton Shove". Kiffin's players by all accounts loved playing for him, and it showed.

4. Development. Jonathan Crompton, the 5* phenom out of high school, went largely a disappointment during his first 3 years at UT. Kiffin and Chaney managed to make him draftable, and had a great offense that year that was fun to watch. It was nice to see his story turn around.

The Bad Of Kiffin:
1. The Recruiting Class That Wasn't. Kiffin recruited a lot of guys that had off-field issues, and that had red flags around them. Janzen Jackson, Nukeese Richardson, and Bryce Brown to name a few. While it was an outstanding class on paper, loaded with talent, the lack of character was begging for trouble. If Kiffin was to be the hire, he would not be able to recruit that level of character here. It left us in a massive roster deficit, as I think only 2-3 players from that class survived.

2. The NCAA issues. Obviously, there were some rules broken, and that left us in NCAA trouble that crippled the next regime, and left Kiffin untarnished. Again, not something that could be allowed now. I hope that now, his reputation is better where he doesn't need to break rules like he did. But another negative.

3. The way he left. If we are honest, we were ticked because we liked him so much. His football was fun. We liked the way recruiting was going. We liked all of the things I mentioned. We saw things headed in the right direction. But many were (and still are) ticked at the way he left. But in hindsight, anyone who seriously looks at the situation cannot blame him. He got the opportunity for his dream job, and unsure how many times in his life he would get that chance again, took it. USC was not long removed from winning the National Championship, and it was a very attractive job to someone who was well known there, and whose wife loved California. I know he has said he regrets it, but many people are still bitter.

Kiffin is difficult. He has many positives. His players loved him. I can remember years later articles about how much fun he was to play for, and how great he was. We loved him. But he was, and maybe still is an immature guy who broke the rules and who left us in a tough place. I still believe that had we made a better hire than Dooley, we wouldn't be so mad at Kiffin. But here we are, 11 years later, and some still haven't let it go.

I don't think the administration will go that route. I'd be okay with it. But, between the past history and the NCAA flags, I'm not sure that White could confidently hire him and trust things are being done on the up and up.

Crompton is the type of dude who goes to a Hootie and the Blowfish concert, or bumps Nickelback in his Toyota Celica.

I would love to have Kiffin back. He can get these players to buy in and excite the recruits to come play here. However, I don't see it happening.

Love the video of kiffin knocking crompton down. Reality is Kiffin is not coming back to Knoxville. we need to temper our expectations quite a bit and give the next guy a fair shot even when it’s an underwhelming hire.
Danny White is regarded for making excellent coaching hires, not for splashy hires. I'm confident his process is better than mine, and better than any AD Tennessee has had in decades. I don't think waiting a few months to see how a hire turns out is really tempering our expectations. I think it is using a more appropriate measuring stick by which to evaluate it.

VN Store

Back