The Lane Kiffin Thread

Kiffin: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Good of Kiffin:
1. Confidence. "Singing Rocky Top all night long after we beat Florida," and "I promise I will not lose to Georgia". I liked the swagger, and it translated to his teams.
2. Competitiveness. He beat Georgia 45-19, destroyed Spurrier and South Carolina 31-13. With the exception of the bowl game and Ole Miss (Dexter McCluster****), he lost the other games by no more than 10 points (lost by 10 points to #1 Florida, led by Tebow, lost by 2 points to #1 and eventual NC Bama, lost by 4 points to Auburn, and lost by 4 points to UCLA. All 6 of his losses were to teams that had a winning record that year.

3. Fun. The single best moment of Kiffin's tenure was the black uniforms at Halloween, as well as the "Crompton Shove". Kiffin's players by all accounts loved playing for him, and it showed.

4. Development. Jonathan Crompton, the 5* phenom out of high school, went largely a disappointment during his first 3 years at UT. Kiffin and Chaney managed to make him draftable, and had a great offense that year that was fun to watch. It was nice to see his story turn around.

5. Not long after his departure, replacement mattress sales at bedding stores in Knoxville skyrocketed!

You hire Kiffin, the penalty will be worse. And if he steps outta line, look out.

Sorry, guys, he’s a great offensive coach. I enjoyed watching OM play this year but UT can’t go there. You’re just setting yourself up for heartbreak/pissed off. Move on.
You have no clue what you are talking about. For one Ole Miss was able to hire so we can to.

Kiffin seems to me a lot like Johnny Lawerence from Karate Kid/Cobra Kai. He was a real pice of crap in Karate kid, but give us some time(30 yrs+\-) reboot to Cobra Kai, and you realize he really is a white trash dirt bag but you like him now because he is good at it and makes things fun.

Reactions: salsahound
Kiffin seems to me a lot like Johnny Lawerence from Karate Kid/Cobra Kai. He was a real piece of crap in Karate kid, but give us some time(30 yrs+\-) reboot to Cobra Kai, and you realize he really is a white trash dirt bag but you like him now because he is good at it and makes things fun.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
This is all for naught. You don’t deliberately use the word integrity as many times as these people did as part of their production, and then walk down the hall and call Lane Kiffin. I’m sure most of that was aimed at the people who want Hugh Freeze. But what I said still holds true.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
DW would sure love to bring his offensive mind back to K-Town, but Kiffin would have to prove that he's really matured to DW.

If White (DW) bites, I sure would make Kiffin sign a contract with a 15mil buyout clause to UT if another college or NFL team comes calling down the line.

That sure was a fun year (with swag) and would love to see Kiffin takedown FLA as the Vols HC.

I don’t think it’s hard to get Kiffin here contract wise. I posted this way back after Schiano Sunday and we were scrumming with the Doerens and Bromm scrubs.

Match his Ole Miss salary for first 2 years with 15% increase starting in year 3.

Then throw crazy ass high performance bonuses at him where if we were to win a Natty, he’s the highest paid coach for a given year by millions of dollars. He still gets a solid base but the bonuses are what could make him a 12-15 million dollar coach in a year.

So in theory if we won SEC but didn’t win playoff, he’d still make more in bonuses than salary in (for example) 2022, he’d make 7-8 million dollars total for the year. Say somehow he wins Natty in 2023, he make 12-15 million dollars total.

I find it hard to believe that people would have issue paying the coach of Tennessee 12-15 million dollars in a year if it resulted in a Natty. Especially knowing that we aren’t on the hook for that number every year.

At some point the contract game is gonna change across college Athletics. For a desperate program like ours, we need someone with an ego that has chops to produce on the offensive side of the ball since that is now what is winning across the game.

Kiffin has both. Throw crazy ass performance bonuses at him to stroke his ego. Depending on NCAA stuff, match Ole Miss deal for first two years if we get punished or whatnot and let him build up roster.

I don't believe DW would think it a prudent first move.

Actually it would be smart move. Danny White, if he wanted Kiffin, would get to see how much power he really has. White hiring Kiffin means he took a job and got full authority to do what he thinks is best and isn’t micromanaged by Admin and Boosters.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989

VN Store

Back