SEC Commissioner concerned about football being played this year : CBS

Average age of death is 80 years old. That exceeds the average U.S. life expectancy. You can blame a decent chunk of that early on on the loser governors of New Jersey and New York who forced nursing homes to be exposed to COVID. Besides that, Alot of those supposed deaths shouldn't have been blamed on COVID. Alot of these people were dying anyways, and probably even died of cancer, pneumonia, ect, but because they tested positive for COVID it was listed as a COVID death.
You know nothing on which you speak. That much is clear. There are several peer reviewed articles in the medical literature that show that fatalities from CoVID and consequently the delays in care for other comorbid conditions because of the pandemic is actually even higher than what is reported. Do you have any objective data to support your conspiratorial assertions? I’d guess not.

Reactions: 08Vol and VonVol2
It will go beyond just the cities. It will likely mean the cancellation of the remaining sports for 2020-2021 because there are going to major cash flow issues. Even within P5 you are going to see sports cuts, I expect the NCAA to reduce the number of sports required to be D1, and you may see entire athletic departments except for head coaches get furloughed for a calendar year. There will be no money coming in and the universities will not be in a position to back stop the damage due to their own issues (state funding cuts, layoffs/furloughs, depressed enrollment etc).

The writing is on the wall. I terminated all my add on sports packages with Sling this afternoon. Its only $25 or so a month but that money is as good to me as it is to ESPN/SEC.
If they cancel the season I will definitely cancel my sports package too, live sports is pretty much the only reason I maintain my satellite service anyway. I hope it doesn't happen, but it really does seem inevitable.

Dr. Fauci and the President's health experts could sure use your expertise. Please contact them asap. The world is waiting.

Is that the same Dr. Fauci who lied to the public about masks.

I want to make it clear, as all of these discussions are about football, that I (personally) am not looking at this through the prism of football.

I am looking at this through the prism of “if we can’t do “x”, what else can’t we do”.

And what are the ramifications of that.

Because if 16 people can’t be on a baseball diamond (fielders, base coaches, batters, umpires), then logically, there’s a whole hell of a lot we can’t do.

And we can not continue to operate like this.

With all that in mind, if it’s too dangerous to play football or another athletic event, how is it not too dangerous to open up a school? And you can extend that logic over and over.

But, from the very beginning, we (as a country) have said one thing and then made exceptions to it on a whim and it’s usually political. What stores are open or not open. Whether churches are open or not open. Who can gather for a protest or not gather for a protest.

We pay attention to one set of numbers and not another. Example, everyone attributes the increase in not wearing masks to the higher cases recently and puts that on a certain group of people who largely make up The constituents of one political party who are “mask deniers”. Yet, increased numbers are heavily out of balance toward younger people and minorities who make up and comprise the other political party. Everyone takes numbers and sees what they want to zing the other guy. We don’t even know if masks, BLM protests, or opening up have a damn thing to do with the increased numbers. I can tell you that if you walk into a clinic right now for third degree burns from a kitchen fire, they are testing you for Covid-19

Im just concerned about destroying the economy and damn near everything else due to people playing politics or claiming to be an expert while throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks

Weaklings. Complete weaklings. Americans have went from taming the wild west to being afraid of a virus with a 99% plus recovery rate. We should be embarrassed as an entire nation.

Hopefully, all the big donors here and at all the other colleges will get together and pull back all their donations and threaten to withhold all future donations if football isn't played.
A lot of us are embarrassed, but not for the reason you think.

Weaklings. Complete weaklings. Americans have went from taming the wild west to being afraid of a virus with a 99% plus recovery rate. We should be embarrassed as an entire nation.

Hopefully, all the big donors here and at all the other colleges will get together and pull back all their donations and threaten to withhold all future donations if football isn't played.
91% recovery rate, but please continue your propaganda.

Reactions: 08Vol

I want to make it clear, as all of these discussions are about football, that I (personally) am not looking at this through the prism of football.

I am looking at this through the prism of “if we can’t do “x”, what else can’t we do”.

Because if 16 people can’t be on a baseball diamond (fielders, base coaches, batters, umpires), then logically, there’s a whole hell of a lot we can’t do.

With all that in mind, if it’s too dangerous to play football or another athletic event, how is it not too dangerous to open up a school? And you can extend that logic over and over.

But, from the very beginning, we (as a country) have said one thing and then made exceptions to it on a whim and it’s usually political. What stores are open or not open. Whether churches are open or not open. Who can gather for a protest or not gather for a protest.

We pay attention to one set of numbers and not another. Example, everyone attributes the increase in not wearing masks to the higher cases recently and puts that on a certain group of people who largely make up The constituents of one political party who are “mask deniers”. Yet, increased numbers are heavily out of balance toward younger people and minorities who make up and comprise the other political party. Everyone takes numbers and sees what they want to zing the other guy. We don’t even know if masks, BLM protests, or opening up have a damn thing to do with the increased numbers. I can tell you that if you walk into a clinic right now for third degree burns from a kitchen fire, they are testing you for Covid-19

Im just concerned about destroying the economy and damn near everything else due to people playing politics or claiming to be an expert while throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks
Yes yes!

If we have no sports, not even sports that feature the age demographic least likely to die from covid, on top of the fact that the athletes are in better health than 99.99 percent of the population, we might as well shut everything down completely. Nobody allowed in public. We might as well ascribe to the idea that we are living in 1347 and the bubonic plague is out there.

Even with no fans, who in their right mind would think its not safe enough?

You might as well close the schools. All of them.

Shut down the grocery stores and have government officials in hazmat suits deliver your groceries.

You know how the players that did get covid, got covid?

By hanging out with friends and family.

Is that going to stop in the fall? No.

All young people are still hanging out with their friends and family.

So how exactly are we saving those previous 80 year old nursing home lives by keeping 22 people off a field? Or 10 people off a basketball court.

Fields and basketball courts that they are all right now using as they train for a season they hope to happen.

What are we suppose to do here? We either shut down completely again and lord knows what the consequences for that will be, or we open up, wear masks and do our best to quarantine the vulnerable and fight our way through it.

We are also new to the current predicament we are in right now. Just started a week or two ago. Who bloody well knows what september will even look like.

Pretty much what I've been saying. College football is just a canary in the economic destruction coal mine.

Reactions: WVU05UT09

I was replying to the guy who said there was a zero percent chance of players contracting and dying of the virus. No politics intended. He is wrong, I am making no statement except to say there are experts in the field, you and I are not among them, pretty sure of that. Don't see either of us splitting the atom on this matter and I spent 40 years in the Health care industry, as a provider. I don't see shutting things down again, no putting the lid on a boiling pot. This will not be addressed by politicians or folks who have No knowledge of the disease process shooting off their uninformed opinions, that includes me. I can tell you if you have Stage 4 cancer and get shot and die, the cause of death will be listed as gun shot wound, not cancer. The same goes for Covid.

Dorms will be the new nursing homes (minus the deaths). It'll spread like wildfire when schools start back. My daughter is getting ready to start her last semester and I've told her to be prepared to be back home doing online classes by mid-September.

No, I don't think there even a minimal risk to most of these kids but, you can't continue on like normal unless we drop the 14 day quarantine for people that have been in contact with positive cases.

I'm not saying we should keep or drop this protocol, I'm no physician or scientist. I just don't see how you don't disrupt a whole class or team if we keep this in place. There no way to continue on like normal

Agree. Good post

Opening up schools is not the scientific approach under the current conditions. However, it seems to be the political approach. All I can say is, I am really fortunate not to have been a teacher when I was working. At this time, and if schools are forced to reopen under the current conditions, teachers should be paid hazard pay at 100 % of their salary. It will be a death sentence for many teachers as well as, many parents who’s children bring the virus home to them.

Opening up schools is not the scientific approach under the current conditions. However, it seems to be the political approach. All I can say is, I am really fortunate not to have been a teacher when I was working. At this time, and if schools are forced to reopen under the current conditions, teachers should be paid hazard pay at 100 % of their salary. It will be a death sentence for many teachers as well as, many parents who’s children bring the virus home to them.

This has been kind of my point since the whole thing started.

What were the criteria to be shut down and what were the criteria to be reopened?

And why do some groups get special treatment over others? It’s too dangerous for teachers to go back to work, but others can?

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just pointing out that we are all over the place with COVID do’s and don’ts.

I believe the numbers are worse in a lot of places now than they were when we were shut down. So why are we open now?

So, to take this situation, if we can’t open up schools now, then when can we? What are the objective criteria for that?

Now the sad part is, I know the reality of this thing regarding schools. The reality is very few give a damn about the education their child is missing. They need someone to watch their kid while they go to work.

Reactions: Vol_0311
You know nothing on which you speak. That much is clear. There are several peer reviewed articles in the medical literature that show that fatalities from CoVID and consequently the delays in care for other comorbid conditions because of the pandemic is actually even higher than what is reported. Do you have any objective data to support your conspiratorial assertions? I’d guess not.

The average age of death from this is 80, the average life expectancy in the country is 78, the governors of NY and NJ ordered that nursing homes take COVID patients and that order killed many. Some in the healthcare have admitted that they have reported deaths as a COVID death when the patient had just days to live anyways for example. That gives us figures that are too high.

I also saw a study published by one of the hospitals that were the epicenter of COVID in New York earlier in spring. Most people that were hospitalized and died had multiple serious underlying conditions.

Nobody is fear mongering here. No one knows enough about this condition yet, much like HIV in the early 80"s. Talk with folks who have recovered to get their take on it. I would personally prefer to die than suffer a debilitating stroke. I have so much faith we bought season ticket for the 1st time in 16yrs. However rather than risk the health and safety of our kids I can suck it up and and find other things to do this fall. Most folks ranting don't put any skin into the decisions. They don't care about the kids so long as they can sit in front of their TV, eat hotdogs and chicken wings, brag about how They won a big game, or post here or call in to bash Coaches and players when we lose. I have lived alot of life without football, enjoyed alot of times with it. Old Farmers say you make hay when the sun shines. I hope the sun shines this year, if it doesn't I'll stay off the tractor. BTW, ask the Governor's of Texas and Fla. how opening up early has worked for them. Also according to the CDC in this country folks in their 40's, 50's and 60's account for the majority of the deaths.

I was actually with you on some of your points, then I read you last sentence which is flat wrong. As you can see by this chart from the CDC it is the elderly that is greatly more effected. Also, pneumonia continues to kill more people than COVID. of all age groups
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data

Reactions: Vol Fan in Fla
The average age of death from this is 80, the average life expectancy in the country is 78, the governors of NY and NJ ordered that nursing homes take COVID patients and that order killed many. Some in the healthcare have admitted that they have reported deaths as a COVID death when the patient had just days to live anyways for example. That gives us figures that are too high.

I also saw a study published by one of the hospitals that were the epicenter of COVID in New York earlier in spring. Most people that were hospitalized and died had multiple serious underlying conditions.
Fascinating observations... old people and people with underlying conditions are most affected? You don’t say? Have you told Fauci about this? And you didn’t answer my question. Need data, not hearsay... until then you re accusing people in the medical community, people of high integrity with fraud baselessly.

This has been kind of my point since the whole thing started.

What were the criteria to be shut down and what were the criteria to be reopened?

And why do some groups get special treatment over others? It’s too dangerous for teachers to go back to work, but others can?

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just pointing out that we are all over the place with COVID do’s and don’ts.

I believe the numbers are worse in a lot of places now than they were when we were shut down. So why are we open now?

So, to take this situation, if we can’t open up schools now, then when can we? What are the objective criteria for that?

Now the sad part is, I know the reality of this thing regarding schools. The reality is very few give a damn about the education their child is missing. They need someone to watch their kid while they go to work.
In the case of schools, school systems have done nothing to upgrade filtering air systems which could clean and recycle safe breathing air. They have no attempted to buy computers so students can study at home and still learn. The Federal Government has not provided any resources to assist in these efforts. Many States and Localities jumped the gun and reopened too early and we have seen the results.

I agree that education is one of the two or three activities which have essentially ignored at all levels of Government and again we find ourselves in a very difficult situation. When the ball has been dropped, it is almost impossible to catch up. Unfortunately, recovery will take some time, but we can not sit around and wait if this is to be resolved.

And the reason for that number is to not delay more than necessary by enrolling more than what is needed in the trial.
The reason for that number is to ensure that the vaccine is safe and effective in prevent the disease. One can not permit for vaccine which cause sever adverse events post vaccinatio to occur. One also can’t give false hope to those receive the vaccine to expect it will protect them against a disease and then find out after they have received the vaccine that it does not protect them , Scientist have been trying to develop a vaccine for AIDs for over thirty years and we still don’t have one. The same is true for getting a vaccine for the common cold and we don’t have a vaccine for those viruses either. The Covid virus comes from the same family of cold viruses. Therefore, I am not sure we will have a vaccine for Covid either. That is why it take months/years to develop vaccine for previously unknown viruses.

He trusts captain Bleach
Yep. Drinking bleach will wipe out several things if you drink it or inject it. Still trying to figure out how he thought they could pump UV light into patients. Certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

VN Store

Back