SEC Commissioner concerned about football being played this year : CBS

2 issues.
1. Football is a very dangerous sport. Players should be more concerned about concussions, being paralysed, damaged joints, knee damage, etc.. Most players that play a pro level for Just a few years are likely to have long term negative effects. For them, civic 19 is just 1 more item on the long list.
2. Having fans at the game is a different matter that will need to be addressed. I can see masks being required and maybe limited seating, if fans are allowed.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
What about Trey Smith and his health conditions and I'm sure other players around the country may have health conditions that have not yet been found.

Trey would need to decide for himself if he wants to risk playing or not. I have no idea how much more vulnerable his condition would make him to complications.

Trey would need to decide for himself if he wants to risk playing or not. I have no idea how much more vulnerable his condition would make him to complications.
I'm of the opinion that as of right now football should be played as usual. I'm also of the opinion that thinking the donors have any control over it is laughable.

What don’t you understand about the players being at risk for long term lung, heart, and kidney damage? Death is far from the only complication from this virus.

Seems the risk is very, very small. What if there is not a successful vaccine for years? No football ever in college? The NFL is going to play. Where will they get new players? What about all the jobs, livelihoods, and opportunities connected to football? What about the universities themselves that depend on football revenue?

If you cancel this fall, what if the virus is still around in high numbers in spring? Wait till next fall? Cancel basketball too? Again?

At what point do we just get on with life? I am afraid that this may be a question we will have to answer.

Weaklings. Complete weaklings. Americans have went from taming the wild west to being afraid of a virus with a 99% plus recovery rate. We should be embarrassed as an entire nation.

Hopefully, all the big donors here and at all the other colleges will get together and pull back all their donations and threaten to withhold all future donations if football isn't played.

Lol, the big donors would A) NEVER do something that dumb, and B) They would be told where to stick it

Reactions: NashVol11 and 08Vol
I'm of the opinion that as of right now football should be played as usual. I'm also of the opinion that thinking the donors have any control over it is laughable.

Serious question: what do you think schools/programs should do when 3 or 4 players test positive 3 days before a big game? Those 3 or 4 (and this will definitely happen) have been in close contact for the last several days with their teammates and were highly contagious while being asymptomatic. Do you test the rest of the team? If you don’t and the opposing team finds out and their players become infected from the game itself? What if you test the rest of the team and 10 or more are infected and face a 14 day quarantine? What if 6 of those are offensive lineman or another position group? You want to play the next 2 weeks with 6 o lineman out? Will you hold Pruitt responsible for the results on the field in that scenario?

See what a mess this is? There’s no way we have college football this year. Sorry. It’s sad, but it’s the reality.

Serious question: what do you think schools/programs should do when 3 or 4 players test positive 3 days before a big game? Those 3 or 4 (and this will definitely happen) have been in close contact for the last several days with their teammates and were highly contagious while being asymptomatic. Do you test the rest of the team? If you don’t and the opposing team finds out and their players become infected from the game itself? What if you test the rest of the team and 10 or more are infected and face a 14 day quarantine? What if 6 of those are offensive lineman or another position group? You want to play the next 2 weeks with 6 o lineman out? Will you hold Pruitt responsible for the results on the field in that scenario?

See what a mess this is? There’s no way we have college football this year. Sorry. It’s sad, but it’s the reality.
I didn't say it would be played, I said it should be and it should. It's not going to be played because all the stuff you listed but I disagree.

And don't apologize to me, you have nothing to do with it.

Reactions: rocytop2624
Just like Cities like Knoxville will be hurt severely if no fall football, many other areas are equally , if not more hurt with no tourist season this summer.

Reactions: sport3500

Dorms will be the new nursing homes (minus the deaths). It'll spread like wildfire when schools start back. My daughter is getting ready to start her last semester and I've told her to be prepared to be back home doing online classes by mid-September.

No, I don't think there even a minimal risk to most of these kids but, you can't continue on like normal unless we drop the 14 day quarantine for people that have been in contact with positive cases.

I'm not saying we should keep or drop this protocol, I'm no physician or scientist. I just don't see how you don't disrupt a whole class or team if we keep this in place. There no way to continue on like normal

Actually, since he is on blood thiners, he may be less likly to suffer an adverse event from the disease than the other players because two of the sequelae from the disease in younger people is stroke and blood clots.

Reactions: norrislakevol
As someone who lost two people very close to me including my grandfather who should have had quite a few years left I've never cheered on the virus. I've mourned it. I've also mourned the spread of idiocy and misinformation I've read daily on what was once my favorite web site to visit. I was praying for college football to happen so hopefully it would get my mind off things I've had to go through. But I also don't want anyone to go through these same things because proper caution wasn't used. Flame away, anyone who would like to. I really don't care.

I give you a "like".
I respect your loss.
However if this is the true way you feel, (I really don't care) Then why post this at all???

Average age of death is 80 years old. That exceeds the average U.S. life expectancy. You can blame a decent chunk of that early on on the loser governors of New Jersey and New York who forced nursing homes to be exposed to COVID. Besides that, Alot of those supposed deaths shouldn't have been blamed on COVID. Alot of these people were dying anyways, and probably even died of cancer, pneumonia, ect, but because they tested positive for COVID it was listed as a COVID death.
Nobody is fear mongering here. No one knows enough about this condition yet, much like HIV in the early 80"s. Talk with folks who have recovered to get their take on it. I would personally prefer to die than suffer a debilitating stroke. I have so much faith we bought season ticket for the 1st time in 16yrs. However rather than risk the health and safety of our kids I can suck it up and and find other things to do this fall. Most folks ranting don't put any skin into the decisions. They don't care about the kids so long as they can sit in front of their TV, eat hotdogs and chicken wings, brag about how They won a big game, or post here or call in to bash Coaches and players when we lose. I have lived alot of life without football, enjoyed alot of times with it. Old Farmers say you make hay when the sun shines. I hope the sun shines this year, if it doesn't I'll stay off the tractor. BTW, ask the Governor's of Texas and Fla. how opening up early has worked for them. Also according to the CDC in this country folks in their 40's, 50's and 60's account for the majority of the deaths.

Average age of death is 80 years old. That exceeds the average U.S. life expectancy. You can blame a decent chunk of that early on on the loser governors of New Jersey and New York who forced nursing homes to be exposed to COVID. Besides that, Alot of those supposed deaths shouldn't have been blamed on COVID. Alot of these people were dying anyways, and probably even died of cancer, pneumonia, ect, but because they tested positive for COVID it was listed as a COVID death.
Get out of here with your facts

Either play in the fall on a full or limited schedule or cancel season, I personally think we should play the full season. The death rate continues to plummet, sure there are more cases now many reasons for that including more testing. But most all are getting over it fine. But if the ones that don't want to play get their way just CANCEL the damn season but don't bring it back in the spring. Football is meant for the fall, just skip the year. But next year football must return to normal or else we may as well just all go live in a corner somewhere. This thing while serious to older people especially with conditions is being overblown on many levels in the name of politics. Some towns wanting to hold their children hostage, not wanting to open schools. It's asinine, and I am sick of it. Some are playing the covid card to the hilt and folks and many folks have had enough, put me down with them. But I will survive, I love college football but either have it in the fall or wait till next year, the spring would screw next fall up. And no way in Haiti are people going to want football in the spring on a regular basis. Football is a fall and early winter sport, PERIOD! So either have it in the fall which we should, or wait till 2021. GBO!!!!!

Millions decided not to take the vaccine even though it was available, same as today. A lot of people are not very smart.

One can also argue it is not smart to take a vaccine newly created with virtually ZERO known about the side impacts and complications. So careful who you label "not very smart." What seems smart now in 20 years may look foolish. If I were older I would take it since I do not have as long to live anyway, but at 38 I'm taking my chances.

No, the football players have nearly a zero chance of dying from this. What don't you understand about this? I'm sure the "Well, others around them may be vulnerable" statement may now come from you. To that I say that THEY need to take precautions. The players are fine.
Dr. Fauci and the President's health experts could sure use your expertise. Please contact them asap. The world is waiting.

One can also argue it is not smart to take a vaccine newly created with virtually ZERO known about the side impacts and complications. So careful who you label "not very smart." What seems smart now in 20 years may look foolish. If I were older I would take it since I do not have as long to live anyway, but at 38 I'm taking my chances.
Especially if fewer than 750,000 people are included int the phase 3 portion of the vaccine trials.

Reactions: WVU05UT09

VN Store

Back