Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean was the starter at the beginning of the season and Wuerffell replaced him before midseason. You’re mistaken in your memories.

Actually, I was only incorrect about the names. I looked it up and found documented articles about him doing it at least three different years:
Johnson & Brendise in '97
Johnson & Grossman in '98 (this is what I was trying to reference)
Garcia & Smelley in '06

Not sure anyone thinks he's booty. Just that there's a reason he's in developmental mode. Last year showed as much as to why. Many issues. But he'll actually be able to develop this year under a real QBC and I for one am optimistic about his future.
Show me a QB on our roster who isnt in developmental mode ? Do we think HB is taking a redshirt ? To compete next season ?

LOL. Hooker was horrible in the spring game.

Hooker also tried to throw the ball down the field a couple of times against Pitt. One was embarrassingly inaccurate, the other was very accurate, right to the DB for Pitt who sealed the game.

Almost every throw he had was behind the LOS or within 5 yards of it. The staff was clearly afraid to let him throw it, and we saw why as he ended the game for us.

My favorite was the out pass he hit the water coolers with😂😂😂

Mods, merge to the correct thread, please!

My wife and I are finally serious about looking for or building a home. However, people have told us to watch for the housing market to take a hit…

What are the ramifications if the housing market crashes for people like my family?

Not sure if you got any good responses on this. I don’t have time to really keep up with the thread like I used to. But I will chime in with some opinions from an amateur since I’m procrastinating on some work and can kind of geek out on this stuff.

Yes, there has been speculation that the housing market will take a hit short term. There has been a federal moratorium on foreclosures in response to COVID, but that is set to expire soon. Some people believe that will lead to a short-term decline in housing prices as those foreclosed properties hit the market and increase the available inventory, and of course if things get really crazy with political upheaval, economy crashing, global warming running rampant, pandemic getting much worse, etc., all bets are off. But my amateur guess is that none of those things will result in a worst case scenario and any drop in prices will be short lived.

One of the biggest reasons I say this is that, in general, the rate of new housing construction is not keeping up with population growth and movement patterns, which is a big reason prices keep going up. We essentially have more and more people competing for fewer and fewer available homes (especially in the “hot” markets). One thing you can look at is how that is trending in your specific area. That should give you a better idea of what local prices are likely to do in the future (at least short to mid term).

The price of materials and labor has also increased significantly in recent months, and that trend does not seem to be slowing regardless of anything that may happen with foreclosures. Maybe material prices start to trend down if we ever get really clear of COVID, but I think higher labor costs are here to stay. My guess is that these factors continue to press prices higher for new construction or at least that we see a plateau rather than a decline.

Trying to time the market is nearly impossible though. It really could go either way just because there are so many factors at play. One plus of buying right now is that interest rates are still very low. I think a lot of first-time home buyers don’t realize how much low interest rates can save them over the life of a mortgage (I certainly didn’t). Interest rates are likely to increase in the next 2-5 years as the federal reserve is expected to go back to raising rates incrementally.

The risk of buying now and having prices drop later is that you end up owing more on the house than it’s worth and/or that you end up having to sell it at a loss. If you only expect to be in the house short term, that may be a risk that’s not worth taking. However, if you’re planning to be there long term, you will probably be able to ride out any bumps in the market and come out ahead.

The risk in waiting is that maybe the market troubles never come (or are minimal or short lived) so prices continue to rise while interest rates also increase. Then you end up paying more on both ends when you eventually do decide to buy.

My experience having bought a couple of homes now is that renters pay more for less. You can get a nicer home for a lower monthly rate if you buy. We bought our current house (my 2nd house buying experience) last winter after renting for a couple of years because of some extenuating circumstances. The house we now own is almost twice the size of the place we were renting (both in the same city). Our new place is in a nicer neighborhood with better schools and a much bigger yard. But here’s the kicker: it’s also cheaper each month than the place we were renting. Having a rainy day fund on hand is important for repairs, but even taking repairs into account, it has been cheaper for me to own than rent (though there has certainly been some luck involved in that as well). Aside from that, getting significant equity in a home is one of the biggest keys to creating financial security and generational wealth for those of us who don’t earn huge salaries.

Speaking only of my own personal experience, the only regret I have about buying a house is that I didn’t do it sooner. I was in my early 30s when I pulled the trigger. Thinking of all the rent I paid in my 20s just about makes me sick. The way I see it now is that every month of rent paid is a loss on future returns.

I lived in the first house I bought for several years, but when I moved out, I kept it as a rental property. I paid $75k for it in 2013. It’s now worth $190k. I pay $420 a month for the mortgage, insurance, and property tax and get $1,200 a month in rent. Between the renter and the owner, I think it’s pretty clear who’s coming out ahead.

I’ll also add that while it’s true that for most of us a house is the biggest investment we will ever make, it’s also a home. In buying our current house, which we plan to live in for a very long time, my attitude was that I wanted to find something we really liked and that was well within our means. We achieved that. We’re happy here, and we can comfortably afford the monthly payments. With that said, I really don’t worry about the market dropping because we’re in a good place (both physically and financially) for our family.

I guess, in conclusion, I would say that it’s much more important to get the timing right for you and your family than it is to time the market perfectly. And as professional investors will tell you, timing the market is a fool’s game. Over the long haul, time in the market (meaning the number of years you’re investing and building equity) is more important than timing the market.

Sorry for the ridiculously long response. No one will probably ever read it, but good luck in your search.

‘Member when televisioning use to be easy.
EXGTaZfWoAQ1I2D.png

Just curious, who are y’all taking at QB between these two options? (Based on HS senior year stats)

QB1 - 1317 passing yards, 50%, 10 TD’s to 6 Int’s. 262 rushing yards and 5 TD’s.

QB2 - 771 passing yards, 60%, 6 TD’s to 3 Int’s. 512 rushing yards and 12 TD’s. 226 receiving yards and 2 TD’s
Would need efficiency numbers...at least YPA and YPC. Passes/TD and INT would be helpful too. One could just be a volume player or, on the other end, just stuck in an offense that doesn't pass much.

Then there's competition level, which just varies so absurdly across states and divisions in HS. Single A in Montana vs AAAAAA GA is like NFL Europe vs NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back