Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey what do you guys think about the qb situation? I'll hang up and not listen.

lol - I was just waiting for someone to finally bring up this topic. Now this is just my $0.02.

A day or so ago I saw someone post that at the elite 11 Bailey’s pass was clocked at 55 mph (velocity). I haven’t been able to verify that but okay. I wanted to see how that number would stack up so I’m using NFL combine numbers and I found a few others reported elsewhere for comparison. Peyton Manning at the Colts could throw a football at 59 mph. Tyler Bray also had a 59 mph fastball. Bret Favre was at 63 mph. Russell Wilson was at 55 mph, Drew Brees was at 52 mph, Cam Newton was at 56 mph, and Joshua Dobbs was at 51 mph.

Though I didn’t find any numbers on Milton I think it’s fair to say the speed of his throws are on average probably faster than the speed of light which is why everyone is so enamored with his arm strength. I didn’t see any other numbers as high as Favre and hitting 60 is apparently very rare. (see link below).

In reviewing Bailey’s thread – where of course every nugget or comment some writer may have published during his evaluation period is archived – almost everyone raves about his touch on his passes. He is widely praised for throwing a very catchable ball and it was claimed that he could throw it anywhere on the field. The criticism that was put forth was that he was too stationary in the pocket and thus prone to taking sacks. A lot of outsiders argued he needed to improve his mobility. One evaluator said he had a quirky throwing motion owing to how he used his elbow in the slot. I don’t even know what that means. It seemed like everyone agreed he would have to continue to work on his craft at the next level.

I was wondering what Milton and/or Hooker might do if by some odd chance Bailey got a shot and took over the QB job permanently. I imagine both being mercenaries they would start looking around, Hooker, probably for a place that has warmer weather in the winter. We might not have a backup QB in that situation. Worst case scenario.

Bailey once said he came to visit the campus at Tennessee when he was 8 years old. It was some program that he and his classmates were part of. Again, that was when he was 8 years old not 8th grade. Anyway he said he enjoyed it so much that he knew on that visit he wanted to be at the University of Tennessee one day. The Kid has been a Vol through most of our entire run of mediocrity. He’s here and here he’ll likely stay until he gets his chance. jmo.

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2020

We are all frustrated with the Milton over throws. But he runs the offense the best of the 2 we’ve seen. I want to see HB run it against tech just to see how smoothly the system goes with him under center.
Bailey has the best sample size of accurate long throws. Hooker is just meh in my opinion. Milton improving accuracy is the best chance we have at winning. Its my opinion, but I think that’s the truth and why Huepel will start him.
100% agree. I want to win right now but I think if CJH can get him dialed in we could have something special. Milton can’t scramble as well as Hooker but does well on designed runs. I didnt see anything from Hooker to make me think he will help us really take a step forward. Bailey will get his time and I think will do well also but it may or may not be this year.

Great line from a VQ poster:

Heupel should run a skinny post and a deep post simultaneously with two receivers. He tells Milton to throw to the short post man and bingo the deep guy catches the over throw for a TD.

:) More truth than we know. That's an actual Chaney route tree - short and intermediate dig routes run within 10 yards of each other. Justin Hunter was great at it.

No doubt. I remember JG freshman year was very similar. He was taking about 5 sacks a game iirc. Then under Helton he greatly reduced that his So year once he got his internal clock better. HB can no doubt do the same hopefully.
Not in the “lobbying for Bailey camp” just yet but the team quit last year including O line… may have something to do with sacks…

Reactions: Smokeytom
— OR —

It's going to be funny when HB does play this Saturday and he shows himself to clearly be the most inaccurate passer and we are told it's just his first game. Again. "It's just TN Tech!"

Really, could be either one.
That would be a shock. Because everything we’ve seen from HB up to this point has been far better as a passer than the other two have been so far this season

lol - I was just waiting for someone to finally bring up this topic. Now this is just my $0.02.

A day or so ago I saw someone post that at the elite 11 Bailey’s pass was clocked at 55 mph (velocity). I haven’t been able to verify that but okay. I wanted to see how that number would stack up so I’m using NFL combine numbers and I found a few others reported elsewhere for comparison. Peyton Manning at the Colts could throw a football at 59 mph. Tyler Bray also had a 59 mph fastball. Bret Favre was at 63 mph. Russell Wilson was at 55 mph, Drew Brees was at 52 mph, Cam Newton was at 56 mph, and Joshua Dobbs was at 51 mph.

Though I didn’t find any numbers on Milton I think it’s fair to say the speed of his throws are on average probably faster than the speed of light which is why everyone is so enamored with his arm strength. I didn’t see any other numbers as high as Favre and hitting 60 is apparently very rare. (see link below).

In reviewing Bailey’s thread – where of course every nugget or comment some writer may have published during his evaluation period is archived – almost everyone raves about his touch on his passes. He is widely praised for throwing a very catchable ball and it was claimed that he could throw it anywhere on the field. The criticism that was put forth was that he was too stationary in the pocket and thus prone to taking sacks. A lot of outsiders argued he needed to improve his mobility. One evaluator said he had a quirky throwing motion owing to how he used his elbow in the slot. I don’t even know what that means. It seemed like everyone agreed he would have to continue to work on his craft at the next level.

I was wondering what Milton and/or Hooker might do if by some odd chance Bailey got a shot and took over the QB job permanently. I imagine both being mercenaries they would start looking around, Hooker, probably for a place that has warmer weather in the winter. We might not have a backup QB in that situation. Worst case scenario.

Bailey once said he came to visit the campus at Tennessee when he was 8 years old. It was some program that he and his classmates were part of. Again, that was when he was 8 years old not 8th grade. Anyway he said he enjoyed it so much that he knew on that visit he wanted to be at the University of Tennessee one day. The Kid has been a Vol through most of our entire run of mediocrity. He’s here and here he’ll likely stay until he gets his chance. jmo.

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2020

I think you are raising a great point here. The upside of starting Bailey over these two guys probably does not outweigh the chance that they both bounce out of here and we are left with nothing in the QB room. Maybe different if Salter stayed? One way or another I think this will work its way out in the next month or so.

That would be a shock. Because everything we’ve seen from HB up to this point has been far better as a passer than the other two have been so far this season

If people would be honest about it they know that if they had given HB all of the wide open shots to receivers Milton got in that 1.5 quarters that the cheerleaders would have been tuckered out from all the push ups. Hooker would have hit several of them as well, especially the shorter routes.

But they didn't and Milton didn't. Now we get to see a garbage time game that will tell us very little before the UF game.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back