Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon coaching search: Odds released for candidates, Chip Kelly leads

Now, the headlines are we will dodge a bullet. :-/ Anything to get clicks.
I said before that if I were the Oregon AD, Chris Petersen would be my first call to see if he has any interest in returning to coaching. Not sure why they would want a Chip Kelly redux? He's not really torn it up at UCLA, and IIRC, he left Oregon with a bit of a cloud over his head, jumping to the NFL. I would LOVE for them to target Harsin so we could watch Auburn implode. That would make my day.

I mean those defenders might think it but probably as much due to him being a QB as due to the move itself. I've seen our own players get burned anticipating a slide. They weren't faked out they simply anticipated it and I think that's what happened to those defenders. You expect certain things to happen and sometimes it works out like with ints, anticipating the count for a sack, or avoiding contact but sometimes you get burned like this.

Getting juked and having the wool pulled over your eyes are two very different things here. Watch the video again, the defender stopped completely the moment he he started his slide. And… he scored a touchdown because of it.

I mean those defenders might think it but probably as much due to him being a QB as due to the move itself. I've seen our own players get burned anticipating a slide. They weren't faked out they simply anticipated it and I think that's what happened to those defenders. You expect certain things to happen and sometimes it works out like with ints, anticipating the count for a sack, or avoiding contact but sometimes you get burned like this.

If a defender anticipates a slide that never comes, that’s on them. I’ve seen that as well. I just don’t think this particular case is as ambiguous as you do. Which is fine.

My overall point is that, from a rules philosophy standpoint, you shouldn’t be able to abort an in-progress slide (which is a special rules exception for safety purposes) to take advantage of defenders’ good faith efforts to comply with the rule. Whether a ref might botch the call once in a while doesn’t make much a difference to me. That’s (an unfortunate) part of the game.

I said before that if I were the Oregon AD, Chris Petersen would be my first call to see if he has any interest in returning to coaching. Not sure why they would want a Chip Kelly redux? He's not really torn it up at UCLA, and IIRC, he left Oregon with a bit of a cloud over his head, jumping to the NFL. I would LOVE for them to target Harsin so we could watch Auburn implode. That would make my day.
We need Auburn to be good so they can beat up on Georgia.

Reactions: SmokinBob
If I’m a savvy QB I’m doing that all the time. I never thought about it until now. And another angle shows the DB let up. The fake slide resulted in a touchdown.

And the announcer called it out in real time. It was a metal move 😂 but I think it ain’t right.

It should be just like a Fair Catch. If you make a move like you are going to slide the ball should be down right there. Those defenders have been conditioned to slow down when they get close to a running QB like that because they usually slide to avoid the big hit. If QBs are going to start fake sliding then they need to remove the penalty for the late hit if the defenders stop slowing down.

Getting juked and having the wool pulled over your eyes are two very different things here. Watch the video again, the defender stopped completely the moment he he started his slide. And… he scored a touchdown because of it.

All I can say is I don't feel bad for the defender. Anticipate better.

Braden is a UT grad, or at least grew up a fan I think, and I think he's trying to overcompensate but underrating the UT job. We're realistically closer to FSU/OU, and certainly better than Auburn.
FSU is not a top 10 job, closer to 20

Tennessee fans drive in to Nashville watch 1pm game. Drive straight home after game. Nashville ain’t making much money off this game. Terrible bowl game in general. The least of my options. However glad to be playing in a bowl game.
I can't get people who do that. I just can't consider that drive and a full game a daytrip. Who in their right mind spends 2.5 hours to drive...2 more hours to tailgate...4 hour game...just to drive 2.5 hours back home? Jmo but that's insanity. Plus it's Nashville...I'd think, especially for a bowl game, people would at least stay the night and party.

We need Auburn to be good so they can beat up on Georgia.
WE need to beat up on Georgia. I'm okay with seeing Auburn burn.

tenor.gif

If a defender anticipates a slide that never comes, that’s on them. I’ve seen that as well. I just don’t think this particular case is as ambiguous as you do. Which is fine.

My overall point is that, from a rules philosophy standpoint, you shouldn’t be able to abort an in-progress slide (which is a special rules exception for safety purposes) to take advantage of defenders’ good faith efforts to comply with the rule. Whether a ref might botch the call once in a while doesn’t make much a difference to me. That’s (an unfortunate) part of the game.

Just like you can’t do a fake fair catch where you start to wave, but “aha, I stopped my wave and now I can run for a TD!” Except the fake slide is worse because the play really should be dead the moment the slide begins, whereas with a fair catch, the returner could still muff it, etc.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Venables is leaving for OU
Tony Elliot is taking interviews
The AD is leaving for Miami
Dabo is hanging out with the raiders owner.. they need a coach

All 4 big pieces to a program could be out the door in one year for Clemson

Dont see NFL players respecting Dabo as an NFL Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back