Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was doing it in an incredibly sloppy way. I guarantee you Alabama does not hand players cash in McDonald's bags in broad daylight.
If you believe that story, how many of us running around in here are Russian robots, sent to spread misinformation to get you to switch your team from Tennessee to Vanderbilt?

It's after 3pm and no commitments. WTF??

Commits are on CST.
it-is.gif

I've still never been able to find actual proof of that.

Now, Josh Heupel did have Jeff Lebby on staff at UCF, so I think he's obviously familiar with it. But I don't think you'd put Josh under that coaching tree, since he really learned more of an Air Raid style of play as a player (under Leach & Mangino).

I know concepts wise he does things different than a traditional Air Raid. But if I was putting Heupel under a "tree" it'd probably be the Hal Mumme one and technically Art falls under that same tree so it's not too surprising their styles overlap.

Lebby surely helped gain even more traction of the system at UCF but it all started at OU and Mizzou and especially when Heupel hired Joe Jon Finley at Mizzou. Remember reading an article talking about how Heupel started introducing isolated pieces from Briles schemes at OU but he dived further into it when he went to Utah State and then even more at Mizzou. I’ve always thought Heupels system leaned more towards Briles system but still with some air raid influence at times.. but I’m definitely not an Xs and Os guru so that’s just my unqualified opinion.

Last edited:
I don't see enough to really do anything about it. It was just a slight movement not much different from an RB juking defenders. If he'd gone lower then I think it would be a problem because people back off to avoid hitting but he was upright the whole time. Put it to you another way, if I'd been the defender I wouldn't have thought he was sliding. I'd have thought he was trying to outmanuever me.

If I’m a savvy QB I’m doing that all the time. I never thought about it until now. And another angle shows the DB let up. The fake slide resulted in a touchdown.

And the announcer called it out in real time. It was a metal move 😂 but I think it ain’t right.

I don't see enough to really do anything about it. It was just a slight movement not much different from an RB juking defenders. If he'd gone lower then I think it would be a problem because people back off to avoid hitting but he was upright the whole time. Put it to you another way, if I'd been the defender I wouldn't have thought he was sliding. I'd have thought he was trying to outmanuever me.
It was an obvious slide fake. Everything appeared as he was setting up a slide beginning several steps before the fake. His body posture, gate, and the foot drag all indicated slide, then he opted out at the last second.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a tough thing to fix: if a player starts a slide (and it isn’t tough to tell when they’re doing it) and then takes off, ball is dead where the slide started. It’s not punitive for the offensive, and it’s fair for the defense.

Thing is I don't see the start of a slide there regardless of what Pickett says. I see a change of direction with a little hop. I don't think a ref would call it even if there were a rule.

Now, if one were prone to see symbolism in random images posted on this board, one might conclude that this signifies we just clinched the deal with a Walter Nolen or Zachary Evans type player who was waiting on our big NIL deal.

The Price is Right!

That never happens...lol
Just saying with the NIL plan now being struck..Come on Down! Whoever.....

Reactions: bluegrasser
Thing is I don't see the start of a slide there regardless of what Pickett says. I see a change of direction. I don't think a ref would call it even if there were a rule.

I thought it was fairly obvious. You can tell the defenders thought he was about to slide, and the announcer recognized it immediately.

Frankly, I think refs have to make much more difficult judgment calls during a game than deciding whether or not a player initiated a slide.

I thought it was fairly obvious. You can tell the defenders thought he was about to slide, and the announcer recognized it immediately.

Frankly, I think refs have to make much more difficult judgment calls during a game than deciding whether or not a player initiated a slide.

I mean those defenders might think it but probably as much due to him being a QB as due to the move itself. I've seen our own players get burned anticipating a slide. They weren't faked out they simply anticipated it and I think that's what happened to those defenders. You expect certain things to happen and sometimes it works out like with ints, anticipating the count for a sack, or avoiding contact but sometimes you get burned like this.

I mean those defenders might think it but probably as much due to him being a QB as due to the move itself. I've seen our own players get burned anticipating a slide. They weren't faked out they simply anticipated it and I think that's what happened to those defenders. You expect certain things to happen and sometimes it works out like with ints, anticipating the count for a sack, or avoiding contact but sometimes you get burned like this.

Him being a QB is absolutely part of it. A RB doesn’t slide.

I think it was fairly obvious, too, and it puts defenders in a very tough position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back