Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Kelly will hire him and the face-punchability factor in Baton Rouge will be immense.

Brian Kelly would honestly be a good fit for him. I know a lot of people are expecting Kelly to fall on his face, but other than getting the Les Miles treatment (winning a lot, but not ENOUGH) I don't think he's going to stumble down there.

He may be a year or two behind since none of his staff is following him (at this point at least) but I think he'll win down there as well as Les did.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Did Kirby look good Sunday night?
This argument is hilarious. We laugh and drag Kirby because he can't win with 5 stars, because he's "Kirby Dumb"; yet, whenever they do win with 5 stars, it's because they have the 5 stars. Which is it?
Ummm… only way to beat UGA is matching talent. Which Bama has and exploited their coaching deficiencies. He beats everyone else on talent because it’s far and above 95% of teams they play. Who says Kirby can’t win? He is winning a lot but that’s because of talent. When their is equal talent, you get Saturday night. Thanks for proving my point.

Ummm… only way to beat UGA is matching talent. Which Bama has and exploited their coaching deficiencies. He beats everyone else on talent because it’s far and above 95% of teams they play. Who says Kirby can’t win? He is winning a lot but that’s because of talent. When their is equal talent, you get Saturday night. Thanks for proving my point.
No thanks for missing mine.

Modern day Major Applewhite. Member? The dude who was hired by Saban in his 20’s to be his OC at Bama (for one season) and kept getting playcalling gigs and one HC opp…to end up at South Alabama.

I mean Major went 7-5 and 8-5 as a HC, so he's a lot better than Brady I think.

He's a weird one though...cause as an OC he was under Tom Herman and even as a HC he had some solid OCs so I'm not sure how good Major actually is at play calling. South Alabama didn't look great this year either.

Reactions: butchna
I feel like we made the right hire....I mean I'm BVS enough to worry that maybe it's just that 1st year "breathe of fresh air" that teams get with positive coaches coming in (Like Beamer at South Carolina)

But I feel like the product on the field looked better coached, and better developed. I think we didn't always have the most pure talent on the field, but the Butch & Pruitt era both showed us if you don't know how to play the position or play then it doesn't matter how much talent you have you're going to fail.

A coach that can call plays to win games AND develop the talent to play at their best in the system is going to be more beneficial to us long term than a great recruiter. We've missed on 2 of our previous 4 hires because of "great recruiter" being the end all.

I feel like we made the right hire....I mean I'm BVS enough to worry that maybe it's just that 1st year "breathe of fresh air" that teams get with positive coaches coming in (Like Beamer at South Carolina)

But I feel like the product on the field looked better coached, and better developed. I think we didn't always have the most pure talent on the field, but the Butch & Pruitt era both showed us if you don't know how to play the position or play then it doesn't matter how much talent you have you're going to fail.

A coach that can call plays to win games AND develop the talent to play at their best in the system is going to be more beneficial to us long term than a great recruiter. We've missed on 2 of our previous 4 hires because of "great recruiter" being the end all.

The offensive turnaround made me a believer. Heupel also seems like a player's coach. The team likes him. He knows Xs and Os. Can develop QBs and scheme to get guys open.

Where does this coaching carousel end? Particularly if Oregon hires a sitting P5 head coach. That chain keeps going and a team out there is going to get really screwed.
It eventually ends. Lafayette hired their OC and Oklahoma hired a coordinator. Gators and Sooners both made Meh hires considering their status. It’s a shame that the media doesn’t dunk on UF like they do us. They’re just as dysfunctional on like 4th coach in 8 years. Miami, LSU, USC all made better hires. I love to see it.

The offensive turnaround made me a believer. Heupel also seems like a player's coach. The team likes him. He knows Xs and Os. Can develop QBs and scheme to get guys open.
Tres astute. How do you see his relationship to his defense?

Kirby also has quite a track record of botching the QB position.

It eventually ends. Lafayette hired their OC and Oklahoma hired a coordinator. Gators and Sooners both made Meh hires considering their status. It’s a shame that the media doesn’t dunk on UF like they do us. They’re just as dysfunctional on like 4th coach in 8 years. Miami, LSU, USC all made better hires. I love to see it.
They aren't going to dunk on UF because the media has a hard-on for Napier for some reason. Over the last 2 years they've said he's the Saban assistant who's the most like Saban, are in awe at the job he's done at Louisiana-Lafayette, is an awesome recruiter, etc. They aren't taking a wait-and-see attitude with him like they do with most G5 coaches; I don't know if he's a good leaker of info to people in the media, or what other reasons they might have for liking him, but they really do.

I mean Major went 7-5 and 8-5 as a HC, so he's a lot better than Brady I think.

He's a weird one though...cause as an OC he was under Tom Herman and even as a HC he had some solid OCs so I'm not sure how good Major actually is at play calling. South Alabama didn't look great this year either.
But taking over for a mini-behemoth that Tom Herman launched! Quickly declining returns got him fired…fast! And that one was borne from Bradyesque belief that he was the playcaller when Herman had that machine humming…he wasn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back