Players Speaking Up

What does that have to do with the fact that the majority of black Americans still experience racial discrimination?
You said people don’t know what it’s like being black. Blacks who are victimized by crime are predominantly done so by other blacks. Which is a fact. What you posted was self-reported survey which doesn’t prove any actual discrimination

I have been pulled over more than once and I am white. I was in the wrong also be it speeding be it not totally stopping at a stop sign.
I am also sure a lot of white people have also.
Worked with an African American and he stated he didn’t want to drive back to the state he was from 3 hour drive at night because he was black.
An essential worked with documents.
He actually didn’t want to drive home because he didn’t have a driver’s license.
My wife is Hispanic from another country and has been driving for about 6 years and all I heard was Hispanic are targeted and she hasn’t been pulled over 1 time.
My statement is don’t do wrong and you want be pulled over.

Have you ever been pulled over or stopped by the police solely because you were white?

Black people are overwhelmingly victims of crimes perpetrated by other black people. That’s an indisputable fact
And? Are you one of the people who let that fact cause you to discriminate against black people? Be honest with yourself

You said people don’t know what it’s like being black. Blacks who are victimized by crime are predominantly done so by other blacks.

Yeah, not sure where you are trying to take this, or what crime has to do with racial discrimination.

You do realize, that there is more to the experience of being black in America, than experiencing criminal behavior against you by someone of your own race, right?

This is all just the weirdest reaction to Trey Smith and Palmer... two stand up guys that have always repped the University well.

What's so hard about respecting them as human beings?

Nothing but I don’t think that’s why people are being rubbed the wrong way. Tennessee football is an escape for a TON of people, and let’s be honest, it’s brought more frustration and anger than joy for the last decade. Yet... here we are.

So for two players to make a “Feel this way or don’t come to anymore games” statement in a time when everyone is arguing is not going to sit well with the masses.

Nothing. And no one disrespects their humanity.

Which is why it was a weird, non helpful thing to suggest.

Rightly or wrongly, maybe they feel that some folks don't respect them as people. In which case, it's very easy to respond, "hey dudes, much respect from me" or say nothing at all. Unless the fact is that you don't.

Rightly or wrongly, maybe they feel that some folks don't respect them as people. In which case, it's very easy to respond, "hey dudes, much respect from me" or say nothing at all. Unless the fact is that you don't.

Or they are caught in the feels, said something weird, and I’m like “huh?” 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nothing but I don’t think that’s why people are being rubbed the wrong way. Tennessee football is an escape for a TON of people, and let’s be honest, it’s brought more frustration and anger than joy for the last decade. Yet... here we are.

So for two players to make a “Feel this way or don’t come to anymore games” statement in a time when everyone is arguing is not going to sit well with the masses.

I agree with a lot of what is said on this board, from both sides of the spectrum, when it comes to race issues. I’ll make that known. A lot of people raise fair points.

However, the idea that “sports are just an escape” is becoming increasingly antiquated. And I don’t mean in the sense that “We need more politics in sports.” I just mean it in the sense that by saying that you’re only further validating the feelings of a lot of these athletes, both black and white, that think fans just see these men and women as pawns on a chessboard playing a game to entertain us. It dehumanizes them. These are still living, breathing people with thoughts and emotions. It’s ridiculous to think that they should just bite their tongue their entire life to keep you in your filter bubble and away from things you might disagree with.

I assume almost everyone on this board is able to go to school or work, get on Twitter and Facebook, and express their thoughts and emotions openly. Why should Trey and Josh be treated any different?

Reactions: JT3
I agree with a lot of what is said on this board, from both sides of the spectrum, when it comes to race issues. I’ll make that known. A lot of people raise fair points.

However, the idea that “sports are just an escape” is becoming increasingly antiquated. And I don’t mean in the sense that “We need more politics in sports.” I just mean it in the sense that by saying that you’re only further validating the feelings of a lot of these athletes, both black and white, that think fans just see these men and women as pawns on a chessboard playing a game to entertain us. It dehumanizes them. These are still living, breathing people with thoughts and emotions. It’s ridiculous to think that they should just bite their tongue their entire life to keep you in your filter bubble and away from things you might disagree with.

I assume almost everyone on this board is able to go to school or work, get on Twitter and Facebook, and express their thoughts and emotions openly. Why should Trey and Josh be treated any different?
Dehumanizes them? What does that mean? You’re not a human unless everyone agrees with your opinion? they’re the ones who said people shouldn’t show up to their games

I don’t have a problem with athletes speaking out during their free time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The main issue I have is whenever you step on that field/court, leave all that stuff at the door. That’s what I was always taught growing up. Whatever you or anybody else has going on in your life, that’s your chance to sort of escape reality for a few hours and have a clear mind. Otherwise, there’s a chance of you hurting your team if you aren’t fully focused on the task at hand. Once you step out there, it’s go time. There’s a time and a place for it.

Reactions: hmhawk
Dehumanizes them? What does that mean? You’re not a human unless everyone agrees with your opinion? they’re the ones who said people shouldn’t show up to their games

Don’t be so damn obtuse. You’re distorting my words. It clearly means that viewing them solely as pawns in a game dehumanizes them, rather than people who have opinions and also play a sport, too.

If they're being called the N word in stadiums, then politics are already in sports for them.

Regardless, it's the offseason. What other place and time would you like them to save sharing their experiences about being harassed or belittled for? When is it appropriate?
Oh please. No one is hurling the N word

I have no problem with him, or anyone else, speaking out. I have a big problem with the attitude of "support my point of view" or else you're racist or guilty of whatever.

We all want equal treatment of all people. The question is how do you achieve that. And that's the part no one wants to focus on. It's easy to take a knee, march, tear down a statue, like something on facebook, hashtag something or wear a colored ribbon.

How are we going to fix the illegitimacy rate, the teenage pregnancy rate, the high school dropout rate, gang violence, drug abuse, etc, etc, etc?

No one wants to deal with that stuff.
I can’t believe I had to like your post. Now beat it, nerd.

Don’t be so damn obtuse. You’re distorting my words. It clearly means that viewing them solely as pawns in a game dehumanizes them, rather than people who have opinions and also play a sport, too.
Pawns? You mean a player? Because that’s what they are. They are a player in a game. A game which the winners are not determined according to ones political beliefs. So it’s great they have opinions. Literally nobody is saying they cant. But it has nothing to do with the game, yet theyre the ones telling fans not to come

The vast majority of white people do not have to worry about being discriminated against for the mere color of their skin, pulled over or stopped by the police based on the color of their skin, the same cannot be said for the majority of black Americans.

You have absolutely no concept of what it is like to be black in America, your ability to sit with a straight face and type out that all a person has to do is "be respectful to get respect", is utterly naive at best, and intentionally intellectually dishonest at worst.
Bs

If they're being called the N word in stadiums, then politics are already in sports for them.

Regardless, it's the offseason. What other place and time would you like them to save sharing their experiences about being harassed or belittled for? When is it appropriate?
Where and when?

VN Store

Back