Players Speaking Up

I will also add, does anyone remember Trey Smith being sick?

This whole damn board was literally....hope you get better, we dont care about football, we just want you to have a good life.

But, whatever.

That's because he was "in his place". You know not stirring the pot or speaking his mind and true feelings. See how quickly a mindser can change? A double minded man is unatable in all his ways.

It’s what you make it, like it is for everyone else.

I’ll even take this a step further, I wonder how many other countries have a minority group that is as successful as ours. What percentage of our country’s rich, professional athletes are black? 70% or so I would guess?

Now compare that to the fact that black people make up less than 15% of the population.

But sure Labron James, keep whining about how hard it is to be a black man in America.
You can’t be serious.

Reactions: bpalmer28
No that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying the opportunity for success is more available than the current screaming mobs are claiming.

Given the minuscule percentage of the black American population that black professional athletes actually represent, bringing up LeBron James as some sort of measurement of level of possible success for a black person is a bit ridiculous, and is just a way for you to disregard the fact that the average black person has a very different experience than the average white person in America.

Given the minuscule percentage of the black American population that black professional athletes actually represent, bringing up LeBron James as some sort of measurement of level of possible success for a black person is a bit ridiculous, and is just a way for you to disregard the fact that black people have a very different experience than white people in America.

Some black people do, yes. Some don’t.

Some white people also have a poor experience in America. It comes down to how you conduct yourself.

And to be clear, I’m not talking about the occasional situations that the media drools over (those happen to white people too), I’m talking about the majority of situations. In the majority of situations if you conduct yourself in a respectful, upstanding manner, you will be treated respectfully.

Reactions: TBvol
Don’t worry dudes. There won’t be any games to not attend anyway.

Why not? I’m open to the counter argument.
The percentage of black athletes in professional sports does not represent what’s really going on in this country and isn’t what this is about. Those men and women are outliers. Apathy is only blowing the flames of ignorance. If you’re going to stand for something look at the whole picture and allow yourself to be challenged rather than recycling the same train of thought you’ve used your whole life.

Echoing the sentiment of a few others here....

I just am having a hard time with the current “zero sum game” of back my political positions or get fu**ed.

Say what you have to say, but the demonization is going to work against you. Dumb.

Why not? I’m open to the counter argument.

Labron James has no business constantly griping about how hard it is to be a black man in America.
So someone has to be poor and black to have a voice? According to a lot of people that just makes someone part of the “mob”.

And whoever this is (The Vol Nation, I don’t think it’s this VN) don’t tell our athletes to essentially “shut up and play.” These kids can have an opinion and use their platform if they choose. Big Trey did not take too kindly to this.

Wtf does this even mean? “Don’t support us as human beings”?

Both players have updated tweets acknowledging they aren’t trying to force political beliefs. And have thanked this fan base for support.

Some black people do, yes. Some don’t.

Some white people also have a poor experience in America. It comes down to how you conduct yourself.

And to be clear, I’m not talking about the occasional situations that the media drools over (those happen to white people too), I’m talking about the majority of situations. In the majority of situations if you conduct yourself in a respectful, upstanding manner, you will be treated respectfully.

The vast majority of white people do not have to worry about being discriminated against for the mere color of their skin, pulled over or stopped by the police based on the color of their skin, the same cannot be said for the majority of black Americans.

You have absolutely no concept of what it is like to be black in America, your ability to sit with a straight face and type out that all a person has to do is "be respectful to get respect", is utterly naive at best, and intentionally intellectually dishonest at worst.

I think Dolly Parton said it best " I never, ever get involved with politics. You are not allowed to be honest. I don't have time for that. I would rather just work with kids. "

Everything in our country is becoming so tribal. I think a lot of folks forget that they are already in a tribe... their an American..

Start right where you are. Help those nearest to you in kin and proximity. Spread as much good as possible. Volunteer is a verb, brother!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Why does the OP bring that sh*t here just to stir up the hornets nest of ignorance. They made a statement...agree or disagree let it go. They’re kids.

The vast majority of white people do not have to worry about being discriminated against for the mere color of their skin, pulled over or stopped by the police based on the color of their skin, the same cannot be said for the majority of black Americans.

You have absolutely no concept of what it is like to be black in America, your ability to sit with a straight face and type out that all a person has to do is "be respectful to get respect", is utterly naive at best, and intentionally intellectually dishonest at worst.
Black people are overwhelmingly victims of crimes perpetrated by other black people. That’s an indisputable fact

I have been pulled over more than once and I am white. I was in the wrong also be it speeding be it not totally stopping at a stop sign.
I am also sure a lot of white people have also.
Worked with an African American and he stated he didn’t want to drive back to the state he was from 3 hour drive at night because he was black.
An essential worked with documents.
He actually didn’t want to drive home because he didn’t have a driver’s license.
My wife is Hispanic from another country and has been driving for about 6 years and all I heard was Hispanic are targeted and she hasn’t been pulled over 1 time.
My statement is don’t do wrong and you want be pulled over.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I’m tapping out. What this country is going through is beyond politics on all fronts. The left and right have gone so far each way they’re sitting in each other’s laps. At the end of the day we should think and not just react in the same patterns we’ve always known. I honestly hope 2020 is the bottom, but we can go much further into the muck. It starts with us, individually, but we have to drop the heavy **** and talk honestly. It’s freaking hard.

I have been pulled over more than once and I am white. I was in the wrong also be it speeding be it not totally stopping at a stop sign.
Worked with an African American and he stated he didn’t want to drive back to the state he was from 3 hour drive at night because he was black.
He actually didn’t want to drive home because he didn’t have a driver’s license.
My wife is Hispanic from another country and has been driving for about 6 years and all I heard was Hispanic are targeted and she hasn’t been pulled over 1 time.

It’s amazing isn’t it? And white knights think they are helping by supporting this victim mentality.

We’re using Trey Smith and Josh Palmer as examples in this thread...do you know what I would give to have the college experience they get to have right now? They are masters of the universe at a school like UT. They’ve been on national TV, and both will likely be making millions in the future.

Again... it is what you make it.

105942235_10217676695769356_6465222454632777713_o.jpg

That’s not true though. Racial profiling is a thing. Now, if you’d said “comply with police officers and you won’t get shot” I’d agree. But I don’t think black people, generally speaking, have as good of a chance at success as white people. That being said, I think BLM does more harm than good. We had come a long way with respect to racism. The current situation will set us back, I’m afraid.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

VN Store

Back