Players Speaking Up

Yea, not sure I received a heavy dose of the white privilege either. My working midnight to 6am, 5 days a week during my last 3 years of school didnt seem very privileged.
Yeah. Imo, the word privilege is best associated with money, not race. If a person’s family has money, they are privileged, black or white. And there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn’t shame someone for having money just as I wouldn’t want someone to shame me for not having money. Same goes for race.

I think Dolly Parton said it best " I never, ever get involved with politics. You are not allowed to be honest. I don't have time for that. I would rather just work with kids. "

Everything in our country is becoming so tribal. I think a lot of folks forget that they are already in a tribe... their an American..

This thread started because some players called out fans who had made their own political take more important than anything else and others didn’t like it. Call it cupcake, leftist, snowflake, whatever. It’s a voice that’s growing, and change happens.
It’s been said on here a lot recently about our Vols: If people are talking trash about you it’s because they’re afraid of you.

Shut the hell up and play ball. Save the politics for another place and time.
Pro football has been ruined because of politics.
My family has stopped watching pro football and will never, watch another game. Ever.

If they're being called the N word in stadiums, then politics are already in sports for them.

Regardless, it's the offseason. What other place and time would you like them to save sharing their experiences about being harassed or belittled for? When is it appropriate?

I will also add, does anyone remember Trey Smith being sick?

This whole damn board was literally....hope you get better, we dont care about football, we just want you to have a good life.

But, whatever.
That’s one of the best points I’ve ever seen on this board. I have no idea what he and Josh are talking about. We’ve been nothing but supportive for both of them. I can’t think of anyone we haven’t been supportive of as humans. We even supported AJ Johnson when he was being accused of rape.

If they're being called the N word in stadiums, then politics are already in sports for them.

Regardless, it's the offseason. What other place and time would you like them to save sharing their experiences about being harassed or belittled for? When is it appropriate?
Big IF there partner

This thread started because some players called out fans who had made their own political take more important than anything else and others didn’t like it. Call it cupcake, leftist, snowflake, whatever. It’s a voice that’s growing, and change happens.
It’s been said on here a lot recently about our Vols: If people are talking trash about you it’s because they’re afraid of you.
What fans? I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. Looking for answers. Maybe something happened on campus that hasn’t been reported much?

Unfortunately, those days have passed

Those days never were. Jessie Owens was politicized in the 1936 Olympics (really, the entire games were politicized by the Nazis), as was Max Schmelling during his boxing career. Ali speaking against the Vietnam War. Bobby Fischer in chess (kind of a sport). History is replete with examples of Cricket matches being highly politicized. The 1980 and 1984 Olympics. The 1968 Games and the Black Power Salute. Keeping South Africa out of the Olympics and other international games to help force their hand on Apartheid. Republicans sponsoring spots on NASCAR autos. The Billie Jean King v Bobby Riggs matches.

That's just a few that come to mind.

You may not agree with them. You may choose to boycott the games, or stop watching, etc. The school can choose to issue a statement (though as a state actor, the school will need to be mindful of 1A issues.

In a lot of ways, politics is the ultimate sport. To expect the two not to mingle is useless.

What fans? I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. Looking for answers. Maybe something happened on campus that hasn’t been reported much?
The origin of this thread. Players calling out fans making ignorant posts on social media.

The origin of this thread. Players calling out fans making ignorant posts on social media.
I haven’t seen it... guess I’m not on Twitter and TikTok enough. Hope these guys can develop some thicker skin. There’s a lot of idiots in the world. Every fan base and every skin color or polluted with a very vocal minority of morons.

It doesn't feel like many in this thread are fans of nuance, but regardless I feel like I should post this as people are discussing Palmer and Trey's comments without full context. Here is a tweet thread by Trey Smith that, IMO, is very well said.

It's disappointing to see so many in this thread being quick to throw stones. I don't think what Palmer nor Trey said is "political" as everyone describes. Seems rather fair to ask to be seen as a human being and not told to just "shut up and dribble."

I will choose to do what I want to do. I wont be told how to conduct myself. I do know this the black lives matter organization doesn't care one way or another about a black student athletes life. It's an organization that only cares about bringing down my country. If I am moved to not participate any longer in watching college sports due to its political stance so be it.

It doesn't feel like many in this thread are fans of nuance, but regardless I feel like I should post this as people are discussing Palmer and Trey's comments without full context. Here is a tweet thread by Trey Smith that, IMO, is very well said.

It's disappointing to see so many in this thread being quick to throw stones. I don't think what Palmer nor Trey said is "political" as everyone describes. Seems rather fair to ask to be seen as a human being and not told to just "shut up and dribble."

I will give some benefit of the doubt and buy a little of what you're saying.

That said, I see little reason for Trey Smith to cosign that tweet given how he was embraced by a fanbase that knew he may never play again. So it is already known it iant about the "shut up and dribble."

tenor.gif

I have no problem with him, or anyone else, speaking out. I have a big problem with the attitude of "support my point of view" or else you're racist or guilty of whatever.

We all want equal treatment of all people. The question is how do you achieve that. And that's the part no one wants to focus on. It's easy to take a knee, march, tear down a statue, like something on facebook, hashtag something or wear a colored ribbon.

How are we going to fix the illegitimacy rate, the teenage pregnancy rate, the high school dropout rate, gang violence, drug abuse, etc, etc, etc?

No one wants to deal with that stuff.
Until children are taught at home that race doesn’t matter or that the police aren’t going to kill you or throw you in jail as a scare tactic.
Then none of these troubles will be corrected.
That a white girl isn’t a snow bunny or a Hispanic girl isn’t a sun bunny or that a woman isn’t just someone you have sex with.
These things all have to be corrected at home by parents and until parents teach children these things then they will continue.
Of course you will have a rebel or 2 but teaching begins at home.
(This actually happened to me. Daughter comes in from kindergarten says an African American boy told her he couldn’t play with her because she’s white.)
Where and who did this child learn that from??
I have other personal stories about racism against me.
That doesn’t belong here so I won’t say them
I support the players but they need to realize that everyone is a person no matter what color you are !!

Shut the hell up and play ball. Save the politics for another place and time.
Pro football has been ruined because of politics.
My family has stopped watching pro football and will never, watch another game. Ever.
So Russian politics didn't ruin the NRA for you?

Reactions: tennvols77
As a white man, I have no idea what it’s like to be a black man in America In 2020. That’s all I have to say.

It’s what you make it, like it is for everyone else.

I’ll even take this a step further, I wonder how many other countries have a minority group that is as successful as ours. What percentage of our country’s rich, professional athletes are black? 70% or so I would guess?

Now compare that to the fact that black people make up less than 15% of the population.

But sure Labron James, keep whining about how hard it is to be a black man in America.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back