Players Speaking Up

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. It allows me to tell Josh Palmer to shove his mindless demand up his ass. He can speak his mind and I can speak mine. It’s perfect.

Agreed. Say what you think of him, I'll think the same of you. Freedom is wonderful!

Reactions: CA_Vol
Probably no fans away. And chances are the season will fold after 25% test positive. FYI , they are here to entertain.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anyone on this forum who doesn't support Josh Palmer and Trey Smith as human beings, nor is there anyone who is only "pretending" to "like" them.

That being said, you can support/like a student athlete (due largely to their contributions to the school) without expressly/tacitly endorsing every single belief that they hold.
Now do Nascar and the NFL.

Now do Nascar and the NFL.

I don't think there are any NASCAR/NFL fans on this forum who don't support Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Arian Foster as human beings, nor is there anyone who is only "pretending" to "like" them.

That being said, you can support/like a professional athlete (due largely to their contributions to their respective sport) without expressly/tacitly endorsing every single belief that they hold.

I don't think there are any NASCAR/NFL fans on this forum who don't support Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Arian Foster as human beings, nor is there anyone who is only "pretending" to "like" them.

That being said, you can support/like a professional athlete (due largely to their contributions to their respective sport) without expressly/tacitly endorsing every single belief that they hold.

It seems your overview is dependent on if you like the person or not or if they're on your team or not.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
They are people, feelings, emotions, opinions. They are still in between teen and man.

Everyone in this country needs to simply understand as long as people are generally decent, civil, respectful, tolerant, and not bad people (ie rapists, murderers, thieves, pedophiles...not a scum bag) who really cares about what anyone has to say. Let them say it. You want to engage in dialogue go ahead, you don't, don't.

You want to react, then do, and accept that today anything you say, or that comes out of your mouth be prepared to either fall on the grenade, or roll over, or be ready to fight and die. That is the problem, reacting in manners other than accepting the words from someone as long as not personally demeaning, derogatory, insulting, or threatening, then, all should just remain civil and calm and then move on to the next topic or daily feast of fodder.

Wish nothing, but, the best for the kids and coaches and University and city of Knoxville. Who cares what these kids are doing with their lives, it's theirs, sit back and hope they are genuinely decent, ethical, sincere, and all around good citizens who are concentrating on their lives and doing what they need to be doing as to what they think is best for them.

And, enjoy the fact they are probably not taking for granted the blessing they have somehow been given and worked hard on, and have gotten the chance to represent our University to give us all whatever it is that gives us a sense of sticking around to watch.....some sort of unity and higher and bigger inclusive entity than just ourselves.

GO VOLS.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

And whoever this is (The Vol Nation, I don’t think it’s this VN) don’t tell our athletes to essentially “shut up and play.” These kids can have an opinion and use their platform if they choose. Big Trey did not take too kindly to this.

Both of them backed off their comments a bit last night, seems someone had a chat with them

And whoever this is (The Vol Nation, I don’t think it’s this VN) don’t tell our athletes to essentially “shut up and play.” These kids can have an opinion and use their platform if they choose. Big Trey did not take too kindly to this.

Who ever VN is, is probably on this forum. So many posters to choose from.

Both of them backed off their comments a bit last night, seems someone had a chat with them
They didn't back off, they had to break it down for the knuckle draggers. It's sad when portions of the fan base get their feelings hurt because an African American young man voices his frustration with a system that unfairly treats individuals that look like him. The only way for fanbases to listen is if players like Trey Smith and others start to go to HBCUs. Money would flow to those schools because they would put a better product on the field.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
They didn't back off, they had to break it down for the knuckle draggers. It's sad when portions of the fan base get their feelings hurt because an African American young man voices his frustration with a system that unfairly treats individuals that look like him. The only way for fanbases to listen is if players like Trey Smith and others start to go to HBCUs. Money would flow to those schools because they would put a better product on the field.
Its July 1st, not April 1st.

They didn't back off, they had to break it down for the knuckle draggers. It's sad when portions of the fan base get their feelings hurt because a young African American young man voices his frustration with a system that unfairly treats individuals that look like him. The only way for this fanbase to listen is if players like Trey Smith and others start to go to HBCUs. Money would flow to those schools because they would put a better product on the field.
Oh both back peddled and they should have. I'm not going to take advice on politics or life from a 20 year old who has never done anything other than play a game. And no one is being treated unfairly, good lord. They are getting a full ride to play a game and most big time athletes have been treated like gods since they were about 8 years old. I don't blame them though, they have been brainwashed and they are simply too ignorant to know any better

It is ironic that in the year when players can profit off their likeness we have Covid 19, depressed economics, and players voicing political opinions and criticizing fans.

Please tell me where LeBron says anything about living a "horrid life".

You are throwing out numbers, without any evidence to back it up, and you are flat wrong: For black Americans, experiences of racial discrimination vary by education level, gender

I'm far from a "political activist" but I'm fully aware that my own experiences as a white person growing up in America are not the same as the experiences of minorities in America.

You don’t know many black people, do you?

White Wokeness

Oh both back peddled and they should have. I'm not going to take advice on politics or life from a 20 year old who has never done anything other than play a game. And no one is being treated unfairly, good lord. They are getting a full ride to play a game and most big time athletes have been treated like gods since they were about 8 years old. I don't blame them though, they have been brainwashed and they are simply too ignorant to know any better

If you don’t want to listen to the life experiences of someone from a different background than you, then you don’t understand what they were actually talking about. You don’t think there’s a problem with racism. These kids who experience it every day are telling you there is. You don’t want to listen to them because they’re young and what they’re saying is inconvenient for you. But they’re not “brainwashed.” Listen to the podcast, they are laying out specific examples of the racism that they have personally faced.

Like UT’s original statement said, if you don’t support them through the week, then stay home on Saturdays.

If you don’t want to listen to the life experiences of someone from a different background than you, then you don’t understand what they were actually talking about. You don’t think there’s a problem with racism. These kids who experience it every day are telling you there is. You don’t want to listen to them because they’re young and what they’re saying is inconvenient for you. But they’re not “brainwashed.” Listen to the podcast, they are laying out specific examples of the racism that they have personally faced.

Like UT’s original statement said, if you don’t support them through the week, then stay home on Saturdays.
Yeah. Lets get that CJP era average stadium attendence down to 80K or below. That will cure racism!

Every day? LOL. That's a damn lie. This is the newest form of "me too" where all black athletes have to come out and tell how everyone is racist against them.

The UTAD is simply a bunch of pandering morons. I haven't been to a game in years and if they continue down this road that certainly won't change. I don't care what a 20 year old of any color says, they haven't experienced life at all. They live in a bubble where they are spoiled. Shut up and play ball.

Supporting them as human beings, which we ALL do, has ZERO to do with supporting them between the lines. The young men need to learn the difference.

You're one of the most racist people on this board.

VN Store

Back