Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mullen is making 4.275 at MSU with MSU expectations. I don’t feel good about handing that guy the reigns and rolling the dice that he’ll do better because UT>MSU. Plus he would obviously need much more than 4.3 for that added expectation. Doesn’t make sense.
Give Gruden the stars
Give Patterson the moon
Give frost a nice raise from his 1.8 to say 3.8.
No thanks to others .

Reactions: 7 people
Time to put this to rest. Gruden is not coaching again, especially not in college. He has been out of coaching a long long time now. He is 53, has a super gig on MNF and with all his endorsements from that job, paid more than most coaches. Doesn't have to jet around the country trying to convince high school kids to sign up 24/7 in their living rooms or deal with alumni/boosters etc.. He has landed in the perfect no pressure no lose situation and his lifestyle is stress free. He isn't coaching college ball folks. Move on.

There's a strong possibility MNF isn't on ESPN past 2021 (or maybe sooner if they keep bleeding money) given the money troubles. Gruden's contract with ESPN runs through 2021 as well. However, no contract is safe when you are in a downward spiral financially.

Rank the Gruden hire compared to...

Saban to Bama
Meyer to OSU
Harbaugh to Michigan

These are the 3 biggest "splash" type hires that I can remember recently.

This is a great question. I think you have to go back and look at the hires AT THE TIME, not how they played out. So based on hires at the time, I would rank them here:

1. Meyer to OSU- he was a proven college coach with multiple championships and successes at a couple of different schools.
2. Gruden to Tennessee- he is a well known name that will get recruits, not to mention the fan base, excited. I'm all in on Gruden.
3. Harbaugh to Michigan- decent success in NFL, was a UM alum, pretty well known as a player and coach.
4. Saban to Alabama- in my opinion this was the riskiest of all hires AT THE TIME. He was leaving the Dolphins in the middle of the season, did have success at previous college stops, but had some issues and wasn't the "glamour" hire. Ended up pretty well though.

Reactions: 3 people
This is my recollection (and simplistic interpretation) of the VC discussion from the very early threads ...

Castor was a convenient example used to stimulate the thought processes relative to alternative financing and Alumni/Booster involvement. Convenient because of the screen name MIT Beaver, which led folks to investigate the VC organization, Castor. This introduced the concept and possibility that Alumni and friends of a university could establish an arrangement or be assisted by a similar arrangement.

An unintended consequence of various investigations and discussions caused concerns relative to potential doxing of certain players. It was not the intent. For this reason, open detailed discussion was curtailed.

JMO

Castor Ventures is part of Alumni Ventures Group.

Alumni Ventures Group (formerly known as Launch Angels) creates and manages alumni venture capital funds. Our funds are private, for profit, and not affiliated with their respective school. At their*core, our funds*are based on a simple idea: alums do better investing together than alone. We have successful annual funds for alums at Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, MIT, the University of Pennsylvania, Northwestern, the University of Wisconsin, Stanford, and UC Berkeley—and are adding a new school once a quarter.

Here are the current funds. I wonder if we will see a fund for Tennessee alumni added soon?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-13-14-19-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-13-14-19-13.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 person
I think Mullen stays where he is. He's royalty there and is lobbying for a raise.

I think Gruden is the single biggest risk hire UT could make. You think you know, but you really don't. You are placing a lot of faith and $$$ on hope. If it works out, money well spent. If it doesn't, seriously bad move which damages the UT brand for a decade or more .

Which brings me to Frost. I think he brings much less risk than most of the other candidates with a huge future ahead. I think the guy can flat out coach and has a very strong all around mind and feel for the game. Biggest question would be can he recruit?

Chip Kelly....Would be splashy, would be entertaining to watch and would certainly win games. Would he stay? Would he recruit? Would he rub too many folks the wrong way? Nobody knows.

I would have Gruden, Kelly, and Frost at the top of my list and would be happy with any of them. No thank you Dan, I just don't think so.

I agree with your assessement on Gruden. Whether people want to believe it or not, he is a risk at a high price point. He could be wildly successful (pray this is the case) or a disaster that just doesn't translate to college football. If the latter is true, this program would take a long time to recover.

It stinks we are at the point where this hire is so critical. Definitely seems it will determine where Tennessee belongs on the college football landscape for the foreseeable future.

If Florida does hire Kelly, everyone not named Gruden will be underwhelming and UT will be second fiddle. Kelly will be dominant in FL with his offense, and we will need Gruden to pull recruits, scheme, etc...

Transversely...if UF hires Kelly, we hire Grude-On and Smart already at UGA...the SEC E will be insane. College football NEEDS this.

Reactions: 5 people
I agree with your assessement on Gruden. Whether people want to believe it or not, he is a risk at a high price point. He could be wildly successful (pray this is the case) or a disaster that just doesn't translate to college football. If the latter is true, this program would take a long time to recover.

It stinks we are at the point where this hire is so critical. Definitely seems it will determine where Tennessee belongs on the college football landscape for the foreseeable future.

But you swing for the fences. Some times that's a home run and others, its striking out swinging.

Adrian Martinez on WNML said Currie told him it will not be hours but it will be within days, lots of work, a leader who will get the program back where it needs to be. Said things were going to be good. Positive message. Have confidence in him.

Martinez said he's now confident something will happen soon. Said the clock is ticking for him and it was a confidence booster to him to hear that from Currie. Said Currie said if there's not a new football coach in place soon that there'd be a new AD.

"The overtures to Jon Gruden, a Super Bowl champion coach, the NFL’s most recognizable broadcast voice and one-time UT assistant coach in the 1980s, are very real and much further along than at any point in any of Tennessee’s previous courtships to the mega-star football mind.

Six different sources, ranging from current coaches to former all-time great Vols to college administrators, in the past 72-96 hours tell me that Gruden is far more seriously considering this Tennessee offer than ever before; so much so that Gruden is making some preliminary calls to coaches and other college athletics folks about potentially joining him in Knoxville."
This is straight from John Brice. Also, went on to say that Gruden will be making his third trip to knoxville this weekend.

I know Brice. Just texted him. He said it's Gruden or Mullen. #SOON

Mullen ?

200.gif

Reactions: 6 people

That's literally any coach that you would hire...

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back