Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say I am "on board" as in full on believing he will come but context clues combined with what people I know are telling me make me believe landing him this time around has odds on par with about anyone else at the top of our "Short List".

I didn't realize how true the ESPN cutbacks were until this weekend.

I have full on known he either has or is in the process of buying a home here. I cannot post but I have seen a picture of him and others at a personal friends home that is for sale (wish I could afford it could park my boat at home instead of at the marina lol).

Just a lot of smoke for the narrative to have no veracity. Have been around a lot of things like this and using context clues and circumstantial things NOW coupled with "real" media people saying what they are gives me hope it could happen.

The people that make it possible for me to attend "Meet and Greets" and press conferences, practices etc... also said "You really want to meet Gruden huh?" last night. The smoke is everywhere but is it just that, smoke? Starting to think not.

Fwiw, I have appreciated your honesty.

Reactions: 1 person
I would take Patterson over Gruden any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Main reason being experience.

Gruden is much more of a "fun" hire. I am 100% certain Gruden would have us stocked with 5 star recruits....and have a # 1 or # 2 ranked class immediately. With that much talent...and some good coordinators we are a national power right away.

And naysayers on Gruden need to be honest and admit if Gruden went to any other SEC school besides UT that the thought of that would scare the he!! out of you.

They pay Gruden 5 million a year but can't afford a $400 plane ticket?

Why on earth would that man be making that drive?

Because he didn't.

I went over this in great detail the night the trucks were there, and the conclusions are simple:

1). They trolled the hell out of us
2). They had a specific reason for being there (rumored to be filming Gruden concerning his move)

Put the pieces together... sleeper cab trucks that are most likely team-driven, getting a room in the heart of Knoxville's commercial district when other reclusive options are available, driving the least efficient route. After all this is put together, you're left with one of the two options above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
JonGruden2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Yah, but the sleuths knew they were jumping the shark, were having a blast jumping the shark, and only didn't so much believe in the shark anyway.

It was all just in fun. :)

Understood...I wasn't around for the shenanigans. I only saw the aftermath.

Some perspective:

After what happened in 2012, many in the media are going to be very hesitant to put out anything that even mentions the possibility of Gruden coming to UT. It will be addressed as a pipedream or a very small chance, or that "he'll listen, but there's no real interest."

This is especially true for those closer to the program. They're hesitant to put their neck out there, despite the smoke and what people are saying, because they'll be mocked mercilessly if they're wrong. I don't blame them for having that stance. Many fans feel the same way.

But the reality is Gruden is going to be the coach. It's happening. Many have been saying this for weeks, including the guy I heard it from. But until people hear it directly from John Currie, it's not going to be leaked. It's a smart play on Currie's part, and likely part of the reason he's been so tight-lipped.

John Brice's interview is particularly interesting today. If he has that level of knowledge, including who Gruden has called about assistant spots, you know that other guys in the media have heard it as well, including Hubbs. But Hubbs continues to point fans in other directions, including the whole Tampa Bay thing. You've got to ask yourself why.

As many have said, it's all about timing now. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Relevance is coming soon!

Reactions: 23 people
Because he didn't.

I went over this in great detail the night the trucks were there, and the conclusions are simple:

1). They trolled the hell out of us
2). They had a specific reason for being there (rumored to be filming Gruden concerning his move)

Put the pieces together... sleeper cab trucks that are most likely team-driven, getting a room in the heart of Knoxville's commercial district when other reclusive options are available, driving the least effient route. After all this is put together, you're left with one of the two options above.
Cool. Thanks for the summary.

Thank you for doing this for me.

I work in that industry now so it's interesting to me. I think there's a major shift coming in the wireless industry so I'm curious as to how it's all going to play out.

Here are some numbers for you to consider. Dish's revenue is a little over $3B a year. T-Mobile spends that much on capital expenses on their network per year. Verizon spends 3-4 times that much on CapEx.

There are a lot of people on this thread thinks he is coming no what. If Gruden turns us down you are going to see a monumental meltdown by alot of folks in this thread.

And there a lot of people on this thread who think he is no coming no matter what. When he accepts you will see a lot of head slapping and "Well, I'll be d***ed".

I'm in no way fascinated by him. He's done a great job at TCU, in a market saturated with successful DI teams. He's shown more than passing interest in Tennessee in the past. I like the offense he runs. He's proven an ability to recruit over the level of the school, and to coach his players up, and to make the progress needed to get to the playoff.

Agree, and to add, he has had a rotation of coordinators over the years and has always seemed to integrate them in and keep on rolling. Also, his gameday coaching and preparation is second to only Saban for active college coaches.

Time to put this to rest. Gruden is not coaching again, especially not in college. He has been out of coaching a long long time now. He is 53, has a super gig on MNF and with all his endorsements from that job, paid more than most coaches. Doesn't have to jet around the country trying to convince high school kids to sign up 24/7 in their living rooms or deal with alumni/boosters etc.. He has landed in the perfect no pressure no lose situation and his lifestyle is stress free. He isn't coaching college ball folks. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back