Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
So someone (we assume a booster) sent MIT to inflate fan expectations by telling us a deal was done. Thus putting pressure on the AD to make it happen, because now the fans know about the deal. If it doesn't get done, we will assume the AD screwed it up.

The only question is... Did this deal actually exist? Or was it made up just to raise our expectations? If the deal actually exists, then this was a brilliant strategy. The people involved with the deal can't come out and say it themselves, so they use an agent (MIT) to anonymously get the information out there... So now, not only is there a deal, but the fans know about it. That backs the AD into a corner, which lines up with how MIT described the situation. It would also explain how MIT knows so much. He would be getting the information directly from the source.

Anyone who knows Vols football, knows VN, for better or worse, is frequented for information, moreso than TOS because it's free. I mean, the site completely froze after the firing. And this thread specifically has EVERYONE on it checking for updates, because of MIT.

I've never fully bought into Beaver, again I just feel like his whole shtick reaks of character acting. BUT, if it does all work out, it would lead credence to the narrative. It would mean one of the boosters put SERIOUS effort into making this happen if they even created a propaganda campaign.

Or he could be just a troll. And if it doesn't work out, I'd still be impressed with just the sheer level of energy he gave it. I mean, even changing his Twitter bio because people were questioning if he was in fact referencing himself as the Stalking Horse means he's here as much as we are.

I think Mullen stays where he is. He's royalty there and is lobbying for a raise.

I think Gruden is the single biggest risk hire UT could make. You think you know, but you really don't. You are placing a lot of faith and $$$ on hope. If it works out, money well spent. If it doesn't, seriously bad move which damages the UT brand for a decade or more .

Which brings me to Frost. I think he brings much less risk than most of the other candidates with a huge future ahead. I think the guy can flat out coach and has a very strong all around mind and feel for the game. Biggest question would be can he recruit?

Chip Kelly....Would be splashy, would be entertaining to watch and would certainly win games. Would he stay? Would he recruit? Would he rub too many folks the wrong way? Nobody knows.

I would have Gruden, Kelly, and Frost at the top of my list and would be happy with any of them. No thank you Dan, I just don't think so.

Well they're gonna have to give him that raise. Errbody is coming for him.

Mullen has done decent in Starkville, not easy to do considering he’s done it in a completely stacked West.

I’m not saying he would be my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice but I wouldn’t be butthurt if that’s who we end up with.

If he is who we end up with that means Gruden, Patterson and Frost all said no

Mullen is a turtle

Reactions: 5 people
Can we all come to grips that Basillo is a minor league shock jock and just caters to whatever turns the needle? It’s fine to quote Brice and others on his show, but he is an idiot with no real opinion. So when he says “If it is Gruden, we should here something this week.” it’s because he heard it here and has no real knowledge. Rant over.

Basillio is the worst

Reactions: 1 person
I think Mullen stays where he is. He's royalty there and is lobbying for a raise.

I think Gruden is the single biggest risk hire UT could make. You think you know, but you really don't. You are placing a lot of faith and $$$ on hope. If it works out, money well spent. If it doesn't, seriously bad move which damages the UT brand for a decade or more .

Which brings me to Frost. I think he brings much less risk than most of the other candidates with a huge future ahead. I think the guy can flat out coach and has a very strong all around mind and feel for the game. Biggest question would be can he recruit?

Chip Kelly....Would be splashy, would be entertaining to watch and would certainly win games. Would he stay? Would he recruit? Would he rub too many folks the wrong way? Nobody knows.

I would have Gruden, Kelly, and Frost at the top of my list and would be happy with any of them. No thank you Dan, I just don't think so.

How can you logically say that Frost has the least risk of the group you mentioned? A guy with the least experience and results has the least risk?

Reactions: 8 people
From Brett McMurphy...

Jon Gruden in August: “If I became a college coach I would probably have you on probation w/in 4 or 5 weeks. Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. The recruiting … all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach”

Wipe the dust off that one next time you post it.

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't say I am "on board" as in full on believing he will come but context clues combined with what people I know are telling me make me believe landing him this time around has odds on par with about anyone else at the top of our "Short List".

I didn't realize how true the ESPN cutbacks were until this weekend.

I have full on known he either has or is in the process of buying a home here. I cannot post but I have seen a picture of him and others at a personal friends home that is for sale (wish I could afford it could park my boat at home instead of at the marina lol).

Just a lot of smoke for the narrative to have no veracity. Have been around a lot of things like this and using context clues and circumstantial things NOW coupled with "real" media people saying what they are gives me hope it could happen.

The people that make it possible for me to attend "Meet and Greets" and press conferences, practices etc... also said "You really want to meet Gruden huh?" last night. The smoke is everywhere but is it just that, smoke? Starting to think not.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 people
The MNF trucks in Knoxville are very likely NOT a storyline worth pursuing. I have been in trucking my entire life. It is not uncommon for drivers of exhibitions/tours etc to be a wee bit out of route and in a hotel.

That said, I'm all in on the Grude.

SOON!!!!

Holiday Inn Express sponsors MNF. That's where they stayed. The other route that's "closer" goes through West Virginia on that I-64 / I-77 crap that would absolutely suck in a tractor trailer. It's not that pleasant in a car.

Last edited:
West and Ward are so lazy. Gruden won't come because he's got a cushy job. Gruden won't consider it because why wouldn't he just coach the Titans if he wanted to coach in Tennessee? Are they seriously that stupid?

Hey look guys! An article we’ve not seen since Gruden 22! You’re fun and all but you need to get out. The only way you’re allowed in this thread is by reading Gruden 1-30 asap. It’ll save you some GT*O’s.

BOOM! and kindly shut the door when you leave! haha

Sorry for the spelling errors folks. I'm at work and typing as fast I hear something and simply didn't even think. I'm human.

That said, I will never understand the desire for one of our own to be a condescending prick to those just trying to contribute to the thread in a good way.

ignore the BS. you have no reason to apologize.

Reactions: 4 people
I have previously litigated this topic. Don't see a need to here, but I'll indulge you. The shortest route to Knoxville from GB is just over 11 hours (and going the way you believe only increases it), that alone puts them in violation of DOT, if in fact they're not team-driven. Why stop at a hotel, and in that location, when you have sleeper cabs?

So, here we are, back where we started.... option 1) or option 2)

They only violate DOT rules if they punch that run straight thru. No need to do that whatsoever with dang near a week's travel time.

I own a trucking company. I put drivers in a hotel room when they're laying over long enough to make that sleeper seem small. Shower facilities are better too.

It is also common to let drivers go out of route, especially if they have time to kill. Those guys may have family in the Knoxville area.

Hutch7 on VQ when asked his current percentage of Gruden accepting the job..

"Will not be 100% until I see John and Jon together on stage, but my current level is well over 95%"

Reactions: 23 people
Time to put this to rest. Gruden is not coaching again, especially not in college. He has been out of coaching a long long time now. He is 53, has a super gig on MNF and with all his endorsements from that job, paid more than most coaches. Doesn't have to jet around the country trying to convince high school kids to sign up 24/7 in their living rooms or deal with alumni/boosters etc.. He has landed in the perfect no pressure no lose situation and his lifestyle is stress free. He isn't coaching college ball folks. Move on.

such an authority ... saying things we don't ever hear, nor have we ever disproved ... thanks for saving our lives mister/mrs.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back